Linux

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

RevZ
New Citizen

Re: Linux

#106 Post by RevZ »

puredeathly wrote:
RevZ wrote:
puredeathly wrote:
RevZ wrote:Plenty of ways available to kill all of the spying crap, though.
Personally, I like to use Linux for the things it's good at, Windows for the rest. I do think many people who use any form of Linux do it the same way.
The official way is to buy the enterprise edition and disabling it using the group policy editor (who knows what it really does...).
The better way is to redirect MS servers to localhost using the hosts file.
I use Linux for everything except some games that won't run on wine (like The vanishing of Ethan Carter and some others).
There are literally many dozens of methods Microsoft uses to call home. Redirecting the MS servers via .hosts entries will only get rid of about a third of those methods. Many are hardcoded into the included apps in Windows 10 and even things like Skype or Windows Explorer itself (via a linked .dll file, which the code kicks into action to reach the servers anyway after you block the MS servers via .hosts).
Luckily, there are tools available which give you the option of easily (without you having to go into Powershell and doing it all manually) removing virtually all of the applications and routines involved in this behaviour of Windows 10. It has become sort of a standard thing to do, sadly.
If you redirect all the servers associated with MS to localhost via the hosts file, not even hardcoded IPs can now connect. Idk though if they bypass the hosts file (but I don't think so).
I like the powershellscripts you mentioned though. they get rid of everything except windows updates (which probably will reinstall all the [censored] on the next major update...) :P
The thing which upset a lot of people when Win10 first showed this behaviour was when you'd block certain 'features' by blocking the corresponding servers in .hosts, Windows would start acting crippled, throwing error messages about not being able to voice back to the server. At the same time, it DOES still connect to its servers via IP addresses hidden in code and/or external libraries. This is why it's such a concerning point to begin with.
The fact that they (M$) are legally mandated to drop certain features in the Enterprise variant does not necessarily mean they dropped all of these call-home measures, either.
At least with Linux you know what's in it and what isn't; you can pick it all apart whenever you want and take a look for yourself, after all.. :grin:

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#107 Post by puredeathly »

RevZ wrote:At least with Linux you know what's in it and what isn't; you can pick it all apart whenever you want and take a look for yourself, after all.. :grin:
This and the fact that I want to customize my system are only a few of many reasons I use Linux ^^

Razmoudah
Merchant

#108 Post by Razmoudah »

Part of the reason I have a Linux-box is so that I have something that can browse wherever I like on the Internet and I don't have to worry about viruses. Unfortunately I haven't been able to keep it properly updated. A couple of my directories stop re-directing correctly a few months ago and I haven't been able to find where they need to go to and thus I haven't been able to update since. Of course there is a plus to that, half of the sites that used to give me problems with being "browser breakers" now don't as apparently they were using too many system resources through Adobe Flash. I would however like to get those directories fixed so that I can update again, if anyone here either knows how to help me with that or where I could get said help.

Also, I do nearly all of my gaming on my Windows box, which is running Windows 7 Ultimate, and I'm seriously thinking that when [censored] stops supporting 7 that one is also going Linux, even if it means I have to use a Windows emulator to keep gaming. Half the reason I have a Windows box for gaming is to play some of the new games I like, the other half is because certain games, Titan Quest for instance, don't work right in the Windows emulators I have found, but with how badly Diablo II and Starcraft I run in 7 I'm starting to think it's time to call it a lost cause.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

Samantaz
Master

#109 Post by Samantaz »

puredeathly wrote:
RevZ wrote:At least with Linux you know what's in it and what isn't; you can pick it all apart whenever you want and take a look for yourself, after all.. :grin:
This and the fact that I want to customize my system are only a few of many reasons I use Linux ^^
Same reasons ! You don't have all the crap (like windows) around what you need. Customisation is also great ! you know gnome-shell ?
I'm not saying that i'm Batman, But nobody saw Batman and me together.

Furcode : FCF3a A C- D+++ H++ P- R- T++ W-- Sf- RLTI a- cl++ e++ f- h** iw+++ j- p-- sm-
Awesome avatar by Kiabugboy

puredeathly
Master

#110 Post by puredeathly »

Samantaz wrote:
puredeathly wrote:
Same reasons ! You don't have all the crap (like windows) around what you need. Customisation is also great ! you know gnome-shell ?
I like Unity, Plasma and (still not finished) Papyros desktop environments. I don't like Gnome Shell as it has this ugly floating bar at the bottom left corner for any tray icons that aren't using the Gnome API but the freedesktop API... (the only place where Gnome shell is acceptable is if you have a touchscreen and even then Unity works quite a bit better)

Samantaz
Master

#111 Post by Samantaz »

puredeathly wrote:I like Unity, Plasma and (still not finished) Papyros desktop environments. I don't like Gnome Shell as it has this ugly floating bar at the bottom left corner for any tray icons that aren't using the Gnome API but the freedesktop API... (the only place where Gnome shell is acceptable is if you have a touchscreen and even then Unity works quite a bit better)
Which floating bar ? Anyways, there are lots of extensions to personnalize gnome-shell more and more !

Furcode : FCF3a A C- D+++ H++ P- R- T++ W-- Sf- RLTI a- cl++ e++ f- h** iw+++ j- p-- sm-

puredeathly
Master

#112 Post by puredeathly »

Samantaz wrote:
puredeathly wrote:I like Unity, Plasma and (still not finished) Papyros desktop environments. I don't like Gnome Shell as it has this ugly floating bar at the bottom left corner for any tray icons that aren't using the Gnome API but the freedesktop API... (the only place where Gnome shell is acceptable is if you have a touchscreen and even then Unity works quite a bit better)
Which floating bar ? Anyways, there are lots of extensions to personnalize gnome-shell more and more !
Every tried Plasma? It is far more configureable than GNOME Shell.
as for the floating bar:
(it is way uglier with the default theme)

Samantaz
Master

#113 Post by Samantaz »

Gotta try it ! Seems cool.
And, yeah, it's KDE, This explains why Plasma's so nice ^^