It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

Re: It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months

#16 Post by FastChapter »

Yep, Vista works fine. The main problem people had at its beginning was that it had the normal bugs that every OS, even MAC, has to begin with, but it was compounded with the fact that people are idiots and don't think to see if maybe a new operating system comes with - dur - system requirements. Yes, the core component to a computer will actually use some of the resources in said computer.

And yet, people installed Vista over XP assuming their 256MB of RAM was going to rock the pants off of an operating system advertised to need almost a gig of the stuff. C'mon people, literacy is for the win.

Of course, Mac locked onto that right off the bat, and Windows didn't make it much easier by passing out patches rather than telling users that they need to learn how to read the box and get a better system. *facepalm*

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by epion04 »

I cant say I am a big fan of vista, but I am not on the "it sucks dur-hey" bandwagon either. My machine runs just fine with XP when I use it. Rather than blow the money now for vista, I am just gonna wait until windows 7 comes out and see if I like it at all. If it bombs, then I can revert to Vista, if it blows vista out of the water then hey, I didnt have to deal with vista. I am looking at it this way, windows vista is pretty much just a stopgap, something to hold the fort down until they win7 out. That is all ME was between win 2000 and XP.
My avatar is the result of arting for the first time in 8 years... not bad I believe ^_^
clock.exe has preformed an illegal error, time has stopped. Please restart the universe.
I FAILED KINDERGARTEN SPELLING!!!>_<

Wolfiet
Grand Templar

#18 Post by Wolfiet »

i agree with that... and i just don't understand vista anyway... my computer cant run it very effectively (Pentium 4 2.40 ghz overclocked to 2.45, 896 mb of ram with an old dragon ultra soyo motherboard)
yep, if i ever have to upgrade this old thing is hopeless... and i dont have the $1000+ bucks to build a new frankencompy mine used to be top of the line, now... not so much
FNK sammich!
Tuna wrote:I must admit, Wolfiet looks exactly as I expected - a pocket-sized bundle of concentrated mayhem.
yus, i am back ^.^

SpikeRulesHell
Templar Inner Circle

#19 Post by SpikeRulesHell »

I've used Vista a couple of times. I love to say that I hate it, but truth be told, after using my crappy computer, anything else is amazing. So, yeah, it's fine, for me.

Though, I have to say, what I've learned from this thread is to buy the previous operating system the moment the new one comes out. Most all of the bugs that are going to be worked out WILL be worked out, and you'll most likely never need any technical support, whch is good, 'cause you'll never get it.

But that's just me. I have no reason to need the absolute latest gear, so I'm fine wth slightly obsolete computers. Hell, I just upgraded from Windows 95 on my parents computer a few years ago... :roll:

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#20 Post by Kinuki »

I don't get the Vista-hate either. To me, it just seems like Microsoft got an unfair amount of backlash over common problems and bugs and unreasonably high expectations. I like it better than XP, really, as XP was always crashing r freezing on my old desktop, but Vista on my laptop has had very few of those problems.
Finally, the evil plan revealed!

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Garrett
Grand Templar

#21 Post by Garrett »

Former hater here. I learned, though. For those that haven't, you should try it before you say anything.

The Luigiian
Banned
Banned

#22 Post by The Luigiian »

My computer currently runs Windows XP. I bought it back around 2005. It has always run quite well.

My older computer was bought around 1999, and came with Windows 98. It was a miserable pain in the [censored] from start to finish. Now it's got Xubuntu Linux on it and runs very well.

Truth of the matter is, my XP computer worked better because it was bought 4 years after XP had been first put together. Everything on it works great. My older computer failed because its OS was installed right after the OS was first made.

When I get my new computer, it will probably work very well with Vista. So basically I think FastChapter's probably right on this one.

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#23 Post by SpeedFreak »

Honestly...after using vista for 3 months. I do admit it is alot better then I thought. I still prefer XP 10 fold but vista is not a bad OS. From what I can see though it looks like they just put a new OS out because they wanted to. There is not to much different from XP. Maybe Windows 7 will be different but I do not know.
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

ConkerBirdy
Templar GrandMaster
Location: On top of a jelly cloud away from the evil monkey zombie ninjas who wield flaming fire swords.

#24 Post by ConkerBirdy »

SpeedFreak wrote:YES! XP stays alittle longer. It looks like ill be jumping on a Lenovo and getting it downgraded to XP by x-mas if i can afford it :D yay

Don't you mean upgrading?

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by epion04 »

SpeedFreak wrote:Honestly...after using vista for 3 months. I do admit it is alot better then I thought. I still prefer XP 10 fold but vista is not a bad OS. From what I can see though it looks like they just put a new OS out because they wanted to. There is not to much different from XP. Maybe Windows 7 will be different but I do not know.

After using the beta of 7 I can say it is about like vista, similar interface, more system req's, and the new UI is kinda nice but it will take some getting used to, even if you use vista.

My biggest qualm with it stems from the fact it is a beta, the hardware supports is pisspoor. On install is could not find my NIC, soundcard, or USB card

That and with an old gforce 5200 256mb agp, it locked up playing solitare :p
My avatar is the result of arting for the first time in 8 years... not bad I believe ^_^
clock.exe has preformed an illegal error, time has stopped. Please restart the universe.
I FAILED KINDERGARTEN SPELLING!!!>_<

ConkerBirdy
Templar GrandMaster
Location: On top of a jelly cloud away from the evil monkey zombie ninjas who wield flaming fire swords.

#26 Post by ConkerBirdy »

epion04 wrote:
SpeedFreak wrote:Honestly...after using vista for 3 months. I do admit it is alot better then I thought. I still prefer XP 10 fold but vista is not a bad OS. From what I can see though it looks like they just put a new OS out because they wanted to. There is not to much different from XP. Maybe Windows 7 will be different but I do not know.

After using the beta of 7 I can say it is about like vista, similar interface, more system req's, and the new UI is kinda nice but it will take some getting used to, even if you use vista.

My biggest qualm with it stems from the fact it is a beta, the hardware supports is pisspoor. On install is could not find my NIC, soundcard, or USB card

That and with an old gforce 5200 256mb agp, it locked up playing solitare :p

OH LOL SOLITARE!

and what do u mean NIC?

Ashpool
Templar Master

#27 Post by Ashpool »

The W7 beta has been on torrents for a couple of weeks now.
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#28 Post by avwolf »

ConkerBirdy wrote:and what do u mean NIC?
Network Interface Card. It means he had no chance of the Internet.

The real beta release is supposed to be better than the PDC copy that's been floating around, I think. They say that one's an interesting thing to look at but it's still a pretty rough alpha.

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#29 Post by Nuff »

I use Vista at work, but I use XP at home purely because it's less demanding on my system and I need all the RAM I can get pumped into my various memory eating programmes (Hello Fruity Loops studio and Photoshop). I've not seen many changes to the OC to warrant me slowing my PC down and having to pay 90 odd quid for the privilege. I'll probably keep running XP until I decide to get a new rig in a few years time. I don't hate Vista, I just don't see the point of it at this stage.

ConkerBirdy
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by ConkerBirdy »

avwolf wrote:
ConkerBirdy wrote:and what do u mean NIC?
Network Interface Card. It means he had no chance of the Internet.

The real beta release is supposed to be better than the PDC copy that's been floating around, I think. They say that one's an interesting thing to look at but it's still a pretty rough alpha.
wow, i may be good at computers yet i dunno some of the slang :P or abbreviations really.