I'm getting a new iPod.

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

Q

#31 Post by SpeedFreak »

ok i made a quick pros and cons list

Pros:Hackable to install extra software other then app store software (Quake for example)
Wi-Fi
IM
Long battery life (with the 2nd gen touch its 36 hours with music...i think 6 on wifi)
App store loaded with games and stuff
widescreen movies
Easy UI
Can be used as a PDA at this point :D

Cons:
Limited space (i am used to a 60 GB ipod....so 16 isnt alot to me)
no physical volume controls (IF you get a referb 1st gen touch...the 2nd gen fixed that problem)
Major updates you might have to pay for (like going from 1.1.4-2.1) unless your good with computers and know how to get that kinda stuff free XD

the two upsides about the 1st gen touch is you get no problems with jailbreaking it and putting wallpapers like i have posted. The 2nd gen is not jailbreakable yet so you can not have the same wallpapers and stuff on yours...YET! last i read they were jailbreaking 2.1.1 for the 2nd gen touch. the upside about a referb is they are cheaper but the 2nd gen get better battery life and I think more RAM.

About getting music to MP3's...if you dont mind downgrading ipods i may still have a DRM removeing prodect...the DRM removing prodect only works with iTunes 7.6 and below...i used it a few months back taking about 10 GB of music DRM off it. PM me about it since i dont know if we are aloud to talk about that here. Turning it into MP3s....iTunes can do that....Just it will take alot of time and basicly double your music.
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#32 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

SpeedFreak wrote:the two upsides about the 1st gen touch is you get no problems with jailbreaking it and putting wallpapers like i have posted. The 2nd gen is not jailbreakable yet so you can not have the same wallpapers and stuff on yours...YET! last i read they were jailbreaking 2.1.1 for the 2nd gen touch. the upside about a referb is they are cheaper but the 2nd gen get better battery life and I think more RAM.
I have no idea what Jailbreaking is...

SpeedFreak wrote: About getting music to MP3's...if you dont mind downgrading ipods i may still have a DRM removeing prodect...the DRM removing prodect only works with iTunes 7.6 and below...i used it a few months back taking about 10 GB of music DRM off it. PM me about it since i dont know if we are aloud to talk about that here. Turning it into MP3s....iTunes can do that....Just it will take alot of time and basicly double your music.
I have 8 T_T
Dern Requiem won't work now.

Oh well. Guess I'll stick to the iPod for right now, and I'm leaning toward a touch. Speed just has to promise he'll share his secrets. :P

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#33 Post by epion04 »

Untill the have a jailbreak for the 2nd gen, I personally dont see the much else for it than wifi. I wonder, never really messed with the itouch but could you not find a way in and just chance the image file that is set to its background as a default? The old fashioned cheep way of naming an image file the same as the default one and just swapping them out? Least that way you could have your own wallpaper till the jailbreak comes.
My avatar is the result of arting for the first time in 8 years... not bad I believe ^_^
clock.exe has preformed an illegal error, time has stopped. Please restart the universe.
I FAILED KINDERGARTEN SPELLING!!!>_<

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#34 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

Eppy, that's the second time you've changed your avvie in the last week, I didn't recognize you. Again >_<

Any idea when jailbreak might come out for second gen? >____>

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#35 Post by epion04 »

FoobyKamikaze wrote:Eppy, that's the second time you've changed your avvie in the last week, I didn't recognize you. Again >_<

Any idea when jailbreak might come out for second gen? >____>
Decided to change it, had the old Kat avvie for something like the last 2 years. Thought it was about time for a new one. put up the flora one, then as a result of a joke on the Y! live channel, I think it was Spike that talked Dragonis ( one of the frequenters of Y! live but never seems to step foot on the forums) into drawing me as a cat-girl......that pic is the result. :grin:
My avatar is the result of arting for the first time in 8 years... not bad I believe ^_^
clock.exe has preformed an illegal error, time has stopped. Please restart the universe.
I FAILED KINDERGARTEN SPELLING!!!>_<

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#36 Post by avwolf »

I must say, after one of my coworkers got an iPod Touch, I'm really impressed. It's a nice bit of kit, that's for sure. I actually haven't seen him do any listening to music, but the web browsing works really well. It's easy to zoom in and out on the page, so you can even read the tinytext people jam on there. Some of the games on it are pretty entertaining, and it's got a good wifi antenna in it; works better than the old Symbol MC50 I've been carting around for work anyway. Heck, he found a VNC app for it. He has been having some trouble tracking down a good IM program, I don't know if he actually found one that worked for him yet.

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#37 Post by SpeedFreak »

The jailbreak for the 2nd gen could be out in the next few weeks or it might be a month or two. the 1st gen is good enough if you want to save some money. It is your money. worst case you always have the app store and the normal black wallpaper till a jailbreak comes out :)
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#38 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

avwolf wrote:I must say, after one of my coworkers got an iPod Touch, I'm really impressed. It's a nice bit of kit, that's for sure. I actually haven't seen him do any listening to music, but the web browsing works really well. It's easy to zoom in and out on the page, so you can even read the tinytext people jam on there. Some of the games on it are pretty entertaining, and it's got a good wifi antenna in it; works better than the old Symbol MC50 I've been carting around for work anyway. Heck, he found a VNC app for it. He has been having some trouble tracking down a good IM program, I don't know if he actually found one that worked for him yet.
SpeedFreak wrote:The jailbreak for the 2nd gen could be out in the next few weeks or it might be a month or two. the 1st gen is good enough if you want to save some money. It is your money. worst case you always have the app store and the normal black wallpaper till a jailbreak comes out :)

It's settled. 16 GB iTouch, here I come.
But given that GHIV is coming out in just over a month, I probably won't have the money for a good 2-3 months. A good jailbreak waiting period, no? ^_^

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#39 Post by SpeedFreak »

FoobyKamikaze wrote:
avwolf wrote:I must say, after one of my coworkers got an iPod Touch, I'm really impressed. It's a nice bit of kit, that's for sure. I actually haven't seen him do any listening to music, but the web browsing works really well. It's easy to zoom in and out on the page, so you can even read the tinytext people jam on there. Some of the games on it are pretty entertaining, and it's got a good wifi antenna in it; works better than the old Symbol MC50 I've been carting around for work anyway. Heck, he found a VNC app for it. He has been having some trouble tracking down a good IM program, I don't know if he actually found one that worked for him yet.
SpeedFreak wrote:The jailbreak for the 2nd gen could be out in the next few weeks or it might be a month or two. the 1st gen is good enough if you want to save some money. It is your money. worst case you always have the app store and the normal black wallpaper till a jailbreak comes out :)

It's settled. 16 GB iTouch, here I come.
But given that GHIV is coming out in just over a month, I probably won't have the money for a good 2-3 months. A good jailbreak waiting period, no? ^_^
the VNC app is awesome...i use it on my headless linux machine. and yea fooby 2-3 months there should be a jailbreak for it i would assume and worst case the 1st gen will prob be 100 off by then if you would rather go with that. :)
~Alex

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#40 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

We'll see.
Guess I have time to research this jailbreak and figure out what it can do.

Unless someone wants to make me a list of good things to get so I don't have to figure it out for myself :roll: </mooch>

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#41 Post by SpeedFreak »

FoobyKamikaze wrote:We'll see.
Guess I have time to research this jailbreak and figure out what it can do.

Unless someone wants to make me a list of good things to get so I don't have to figure it out for myself :roll: </mooch>
you can SSH into the ipod
You can add wallpapers like i have on mine (winterboard)
You can theme your ipod (new icons)
You can rename icons
You can trick the ipod to think its a iPhone (iTunes still knows its an iPod)
You can install NES roms to play
You can play quake on your ipod
intelliscreen (adds stuff like news and calender to your lock screen)
COPY AND PASTE ADDED!
You can install cracked apps
5 icon dock
there is more but thats all i really use on my iPod.
~Alex

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#42 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

How one would get this stuff working is more along the lines of what I was searchin' for, but alright :P

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#43 Post by SpeedFreak »

FoobyKamikaze wrote:How one would get this stuff working is more along the lines of what I was searchin' for, but alright :P
you install a custom firmware...duh. xD basicly a program called winpwn...winpwn changes the firmware some so you can install custom stuff like winterboard for wallpapers and NES emulator and GPSphone (a gameboy advanced emulator) If you look up jailbreaking videos on youtube its not that hard
~Alex

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#44 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

I'm not a very advanced tech person, alright? :roll: Sheesh.
If I get get stuck, I'll let you know :P

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#45 Post by SpeedFreak »

FoobyKamikaze wrote:I'm not a very advanced tech person, alright? :roll: Sheesh.
If I get get stuck, I'll let you know :P
alrighy =P
~Alex