QUESTION THREAD!

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Zylver
Grand Templar

Re: QUESTION THREAD!

#346 Post by Zylver »

Oh Robbie, I would be so lost without your wisdom and knowledge :D Thank You very much for solving my problem again! :)

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

Gotheran
Banned
Banned

#347 Post by Gotheran »

*grumble grumble* steam, suck, balls.....

This is the second time I've had Steam decide to shut down and not recognize my internet connection, I tried a complete re-install and now all I get is a message saying "Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam you must first connect to the internet."

I've followed the useless troubleshooting guides Steam Support gave me, I googled my issue. Nothing has come up remotely hinting at a solution. And steam's decided to change the formatting on their support [censored] so I can't reopen my previous ticket on the same problem, nor start a fresh one. The last time this resolved it was some miracle, and I don't know how it happened so I cannot reproduce it, has someone else had this issue?

Gotheran
Banned
Banned

#348 Post by Gotheran »

I said this already, but I followed every troubleshooting guide steam support gave me, which included uninstalling all of or parts of steam. I also found several forum topics to this specific bug with none of the responses fixing the problem for me, and for less than half of the other people with this issue.

EDIT: Aaaand it's automagically fixed again.

Zylver
Grand Templar

#349 Post by Zylver »

Hey everyone! :D
Again invoke the helpful spirits of this thread, because I have a very great dilemma :?
Months ago, I replaced my laptop's electricity cable. Its wire was full of fractions and it became very annoying to find a position in which the laptop will get any power. Now with the new cable, came new problems!
Recently I discovered little spots on the wire of the adapter. Apparently, the plastic coating of the wire began to melt due to the overheating of the wire and since then, more and more spots began to appear. Usually the wire overheats when I play LOL or any other games.
I have been thinking of replacing the adapter as well, however I need you advice before I buy the new one:
The output of my current adapter is 19V 3,42A 65W. When I asked my friend about the same issue, he advised me to buy an adapter with a higher power output (90W should be enough he said). He claimed that my laptop has a huge need for power, and if I get an adapter with a higher power output, the laptop itself will control the amount of power it will need later.
So my question is:
Does it really worth to buy an adapter with a higher power output for better performance and avoiding to melt its wire down? Will it really work the way as my friend said?

Thank you again for reading! :)

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
- Anonymus

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#350 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Yes. Same voltage, higher wattage/amperage is fine. The voltage is the 'pressure' of the electricity, and that must be the same rating for it to work right. The current(amperage) is basically "how much flow it can put out" maximum -- the size of your pipe. Just like with a water system, you can reduce that flow down with a valve, but you cannot get more out of it than you get with the valve wide open.
Also, make sure that your end has the correct polarity - usually, your brick will show something saying the inner ring or pin is +, and the outer ring is -, though sometimes this can be reversed. Your new adaptor needs to have the same connector and polarity, or it won't work.

xamali
Grand Templar

#351 Post by xamali »

So, we've found at my grandma's an old wireless keyboard, and we took it home to see if we can get it working again. The thing is, it's battery has sort of melted, I don't know. My father left me with the task of getting it cleaned, and I really don't know what should I use to clean this thing.
Here's an image of the looks of the battery. Sorry for the poor quality, I used my phone's camera.

EDIT: Searched around, solved.
Fear is not "evil". It is to know your own weakness. If you know your weakness, people can become strong as well as gentle.
2Kinds Portuguese Translation

Zylver
Grand Templar

#352 Post by Zylver »

xamali wrote:So, we've found at my grandma's an old wireless keyboard, and we took it home to see if we can get it working again. The thing is, it's battery has sort of melted, I don't know. My father left me with the task of getting it cleaned, and I really don't know what should I use to clean this thing.
[img ]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/479x3 ... 7/b6zc.jpg[/img]
Here's an image of the looks of the battery. Sorry for the poor quality, I used my phone's camera.
o.0
Holy molly, that's freakin' "oh my god"!!! D8

Btw, thank you again for you help Robbie! :)
Just one more question about the power output: 90W or 120W? Or does it matter how high the power output will be, if it is bigger than the current 65W?

Fire.
- Anonymus

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#353 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Zylver wrote:
xamali wrote:So, we've found at my grandma's an old wireless keyboard, and we took it home to see if we can get it working again. The thing is, it's battery has sort of melted, I don't know. My father left me with the task of getting it cleaned, and I really don't know what should I use to clean this thing.
[img ]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/479x3 ... 7/b6zc.jpg[/img]
o.0
Holy molly, that's freakin' "oh my god"!!! D8

Btw, thank you again for you help Robbie! :)
Just one more question about the power output: 90W or 120W? Or does it matter how high the power output will be, if it is bigger than the current 65W?
If the cost is no different(or fairly small), go with the higher wattage one. Typically, power supplies work best at about 40-70% capacity; too high or too low and they lose effeciency.

Gotheran
Banned
Banned

#354 Post by Gotheran »

Is there anyone willing to roll together a light MC modpack? Ever since the update 1.6 I haven't been able to make heads from tails with modding MC, all I'm looking for is Thaumcraft 4 so I can learn it, Tinker's Construct cause I can't live without it, Natura cause I like the trees and planks, and Carpenters blocks so I can make a nice house, oh and iron chests cause double chests are butt.

Never mind, I seem to have jury-rigged a mongrel pack myself.

Zylver
Grand Templar

#355 Post by Zylver »

Hey Robbie, I need your urgent help again!
My girlfriend's laptop started acting strangely, and as I suspected there are a whole lot of malwares on it.
I downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2015 (which I know for the strongest of programs) and it found all the malwares, but it doesn't seem to be taking actions against them :/
Kaspersky found 29 objects but processed only 17, and the rest seems to be untouchable :?
Question 1.: Is there something I can do about it with Kaspersky?
Question 2.: If not, what is really BEST anti-virus program(s) that can eliminate Trojan.Bromngr?!

Help,please Robbie, you are my only hope!

Fire.
- Anonymus

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#356 Post by SirSlaughter »

Zylver wrote:Hey Robbie, I need your urgent help again!
My girlfriend's laptop started acting strangely, and as I suspected there are a whole lot of malwares on it.
I downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2015 (which I know for the strongest of programs) and it found all the malwares, but it doesn't seem to be taking actions against them :/
Kaspersky found 29 objects but processed only 17, and the rest seems to be untouchable :?
Question 2.: If not, what is really BEST anti-virus program(s) that can eliminate Trojan.Bromngr?!

There are usually settings in kaspersky to get you to delete everything. Or you can always take out the hdd and mount it by external means and scan it using another PC. many times certain things can't be deleted because they are actively being used but if it is mounted on an external drive then the files are not being actively accessed by a program other than the antivirus and you can delete or purge the files from the hdd.

Also, make sure to scan with more than one program just to be sure as there is no perfect antivirus. For example: one computer has kaspersky, and another has MS security essentials. But it would require more than 1 PC to do. That's how I do it, but if anything Kaspersky and Malwarebytes should be enough.

Kaz
Master

#357 Post by Kaz »

Zylver wrote:Hey Robbie, I need your urgent help again!

Did you try Malwarebytes AntiMalware? It's pretty good IMO. The free version should be enough.

Zylver
Grand Templar

#358 Post by Zylver »

Okay, so I used Malwarebytes as you guys suggested and it found even more malwares than Kaspersky did! Thus it managed to disinfect the laptop as well :grin: So thank you for that tip! ;)

However, there is still something amiss :? Sometimes when I turn on the laptop, a black and white screen appears and Windows actually asks me if I want to run Windows 7 on the laptop.... wha? There is no other OS the damned thing S:P Sometimes Windows just goes on with the booting, but sometimes it attempts somekinda repair which takes long, but nothing happens afterwards...
Oh and the other thing: after Windows finally booted and everything seems up and running, most of the time there is a glitch when the cursor begins to run around either in the Start Menu, on the Table with the mini-icons and even in certain Folders among its contents... Thus, when I want to drag a window ANYWHERE it automatically starts to move to the left!!! Even if I just long-click on the window...
And did I mention that some of the buttons on the keyboard doesn't work or do strange things sometimes?

I have a fear that the virus disinfection was not enough, and a formatting is surely needed :? In that case, is there any kind of cable which can connect two laptops simultaneously to save data one from another? (because I don't want to open up my girlfriend's laptop, just to have the hard drive out :| )

Fire.
- Anonymus

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#359 Post by SirSlaughter »

Zylver wrote:Okay, so I used Malwarebytes as you guys suggested and it found even more malwares than Kaspersky did! Thus it managed to disinfect the laptop as well :grin: So thank you for that tip! ;)

However, there is still something amiss :? Sometimes when I turn on the laptop, a black and white screen appears and Windows actually asks me if I want to run Windows 7 on the laptop.... wha? There is no other OS the damned thing S:P Sometimes Windows just goes on with the booting, but sometimes it attempts somekinda repair which takes long, but nothing happens afterwards...
Oh and the other thing: after Windows finally booted and everything seems up and running, most of the time there is a glitch when the cursor begins to run around either in the Start Menu, on the Table with the mini-icons and even in certain Folders among its contents... Thus, when I want to drag a window ANYWHERE it automatically starts to move to the left!!! Even if I just long-click on the window...
And did I mention that some of the buttons on the keyboard doesn't work or do strange things sometimes?

I have a fear that the virus disinfection was not enough, and a formatting is surely needed :? In that case, is there any kind of cable which can connect two laptops simultaneously to save data one from another? (because I don't want to open up my girlfriend's laptop, just to have the hard drive out :| )
there isn't a /good/ way to do it. So it's gonna have to be either taking out the HDD or using a USB large enough to swap what you deem important. After that, it's formattng time.

Well don't actually format it, first see if you have a recovery partition like many laptops have. If not, then you will have to format it. After that comes driver installation because sometimes the wireless drivers must be installed from either windows update itself or from the manufacturer website. SO after a format you may be unable to even connect to the internet to update in the first place.

You know what, before you format, while you are looking for important info, do this:

go to your computer from the start menu.

Go to local disk (the C drive)
windows
system32

and copy and paste your drivers folder into a USB stick.

This will allow you to manually update your drivers if your Ethernet port does not work after the format. Or if your graphics driver doesn't work. Hell, anything that needs a driver after the format will just re-use them from your USB stick if they don't work after the format or the giant batch of updates. I have to do this as part of my format and reload process every time I get a computer with any serious corruption or viruses. Saves you time and bluescreens because sometimes certain companies *cough* dell *Cough* have more than 1 graphics driver for a specific model of laptop because for some reason a certain model will come with different model GPUs. So stupid. Not even the Nvidia website or AMD website know what chip I have sometimes. So haveing all those drivers on a USB stick is awesome.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#360 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Ooh, the master/slave routine never works well for me. On computers, that is..
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.