QUESTION THREAD!

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: QUESTION THREAD!

#316 Post by FurryForlife »

Glitcher wrote:Try running it in compatability mode for windows 2000 or windows XP.
Its old enough it doesn't go to Windows Xp, and I tried Windows 2000 and it didn't work.
Story: To be Inspired.
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#317 Post by avwolf »

FurryForlife wrote:Ok, I bought a game called "Sacrifice" made by Interplay back in 2000. I use to play this game on my old computer about 10 years ago. I moved, lost the activation code for my disk haven't played since.

Well it came in today and I have it installed on my computer. But every time I try to open it I get:

Insufficient pagefile space. Please ensure that Virtual Memory is enabled and that you have more thatn 96 Mb of disk space free on your pagefile drive before running Sacrifice. Go to "My Computer -> Properties -> Performance -> Virtual Memory..." for more information.

Problem is I have over 2 Gb of pagefile space. Can someone tell me what's going on?
Your pagefile is probably too big. I'll bet it can't address over 2GB of space (and even that's kind of up in the air), so it assumes the pagefile is of 0 size. You don't want to grow it, you want to shrink it.
Glitcher wrote:On a similar note I have recently wanted to try and beat one of the original Zork games. However, from what I can tell, the program was written so that when you looked around it would use the CPU clock to determine how fast to pane the image. Now my processor is quite a bit faster than the game was ever intended for, which leads to you (the player) looking around so fast it's impossible to stop purposefully in the direction you intended. Any workarounds for this would be greatly appreciated.
Run the game inside a wrapper program that can change the clock rate. DosBox, for instance, can make the software run as if your processor was clocked way down in order to play reasonably. There's probably a piece of software that will do the same for Win9X games.

For both of you, if you've got spare dosh to re-buy games, GoG's versions are probably going to be already adapted for modern hardware, so it might be worth avoiding the headaches.

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#318 Post by FurryForlife »

avwolf wrote: Your pagefile is probably too big. I'll bet it can't address over 2GB of space (and even that's kind of up in the air), so it assumes the pagefile is of 0 size. You don't want to grow it, you want to shrink it.
That was it. Thank you Av.
Story: To be Inspired.
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

Glitcher
Templar Master

#319 Post by Glitcher »

Does anybody know a good/easy free program to create a GIF? I use GIMP, and I know that can make GIFs, I was just wondering If there was one better suited to the task.
ImageImageImage

primalcaller ergos
Templar GrandMaster
Location: many places at once all around reality and outside it at the same time, thought i am astral projetin

#320 Post by primalcaller ergos »

well, i've got a good one i hope can answered: my brother just can't seem to get this spray function for tf2 on steam to work, nor can i. any advice? (yeah, i already tried a tutorial, but it was no help. :x so you are all i've got now, as i've run out ideas.)
You must train you eyes so strenuously to see the truth but when you do, a whole new world opens up for as you keen observation allows you to know more about some one than they know about themselves, this is called psychology - me

Glitcher
Templar Master

#321 Post by Glitcher »

primalcaller ergos wrote:well, i've got a good one i hope can answered: my brother just can't seem to get this spray function for tf2 on steam to work, nor can i. any advice? (yeah, i already tried a tutorial, but it was no help. :x so you are all i've got now, as i've run out ideas.)
I sorta have the same problem. All of the sprays in TF2 don't show for me, even mine.
ImageImageImage

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#322 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Make sure sprays are enabled in your TF2 options; it'd either be under 'options -> graphics -> advanced', or the 'advanced options' button ingame.

Glitcher
Templar Master

#323 Post by Glitcher »

They are enabled. I can even see who sprayed it, but just not the spray, even if I download the spray and have it in my sprays folder.
ImageImageImage

zy-fi
Citizen

#324 Post by zy-fi »

I have a question about my phone and Google isn't helping, so I thought I'd put it here.
I have an LG Cosmos (no touch screen) and I was trying to find out if there was an easy way to transfer my "notes" to text messages, or better yet directly to my laptop. Is it possible or will I just have to manually copy them? :/

P.S. It has a micro SD card but no USB port
Every day I'm shoopin'

SpikeRulesHell
Templar Inner Circle

#325 Post by SpikeRulesHell »

Hey there, guys. Quick gaming question. I am attempting to run several Epic games (specifically Unreal Tournament 3). However, I am having problems related to port forwarding. I've done this a few times before, but I believe I simply got lucky. I've got a list here of good ol' numbers:

UDP 6500 (Gamespy Query Port)
UDP 7777 (UT3 Game port)
UDP 7778
UDP 7787
UDP 13000 (Stats port)

...for which I need to forward the ports. I have a Netgear router, and when I access the router and select port forwarding, I have a screen with these options:

[NAME] [Start Port] [End Port] [Protocol] [Local IP Address]

My first problem is that I do not know what to enter for my local IP address. I am given: xxx.xxx.x.[blank], in which I must fill in the final number only. I'm not sure what I am to enter here. I do, however, have a port already set to forward for my Minecraft server. Would I simply put the same number for any other port? Is this just a number specific to my router?

Secondly, I'm not positive how to forward each port, or set of ports, with respect to start/end. From my Google searches, this is what I'm getting:

START / END

6500 / 6500
7777 / 7778
7787 / 7787
13000 / 13000

In which I would have to create four separate sets. Is this correct? Could I combine the second and third, by simply forwarding all ports between 7777 and 7787?

Thanks in advance, and sorry to be such a noob. :wink:

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#326 Post by RobbieThe1st »

The last octet is the last octet of your PC's IP. Open up a command prompt on windows(win 7 - type 'cmd' in the start menu search box. XP - type cmd after clicking start->run), and type 'ipconfig'.
You should see an IP like 192.168.0.XXX, the XXX being what you need.

SpikeRulesHell
Templar Inner Circle

#327 Post by SpikeRulesHell »

Thanks man. I got it working. I appreciate it.

Moviedude18.0
Templar GrandMaster

#328 Post by Moviedude18.0 »

My tech-savy forumites, I need your help. Somehow, I've got a Keylogger installed on my computer. A message pops up from my Intel Storage Device saying a multimedia device was attached, something something, port 0 multiplier. My compute slows down drastically before doing this, and opening up Task Manager has shown a lot of CPU power goes to my Kernel process right before it happens. After googling it, I've found that it's most likely a key logger set up to intercept my keystrokes using the kernel system.

First, how do I get rid of it? I'm running a boot-time scan with Avast at max sensitivity, but I'm. Of sure that will work. Second, is it possible to get a key logger just from visiting a website? I haven't downloaded any files recently, and the websites I visit are here, the comic proper, fur affinity, dailymotion, YouTube, McLeod Gaming and its forum, and sometimes Deviant Art. My parents are giving me some hell for "allowing" such a virus on my computer, and if possible I'd like to definitively prove this is not my fault.
Image Image

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#329 Post by avwolf »

I haven't heard of a keylogger as a drive-by download (those are usually "security" software), but it's certainly possible. Deviant Art is a favorite attack vector because of the traffic it gets. I've seen two friends get seriously infected when DA's ad network was compromised, and my anti-virus has caught drive-by attacks from their ad network (presumably) when I've visited before. In this day and age, it is very easy to end up with nasty malware even though you didn't do anything wrong. I haven't seen anything dangerous out of YouTube yet (Google's crew is pretty solid about keeping that crap out), and I haven't personally witnessed anything from FA (they run their own ad system, so it's somewhat less likely, but they aren't the best at security over there either), but I can't speak about the other sites. I haven't heard of any reports of Twokinds or the forum being compromised lately, but it has happened in the past. The Internet is simply not a safe place, and sometimes, no matter how careful you are, you get caught.

I'd try booting into Safe Mode (which should help keep the keylogger and any assisting programs) from starting, and running your virus scan from there. I might add Spybot Search and Destroy and possibly Malawarebyte's Anti-Malware (I haven't used that one myself, but it is always recommended by every source I've ever seen) in addition to your virus scanner to help cover your bases. Above all, avoid entering sensitive passwords on any website or into any software, and once you remove the keylogger, change all of your passwords. Especially anything that pertains to banking (Paypal, your bank, your credit card, etc...).

Moviedude18.0
Templar GrandMaster

#330 Post by Moviedude18.0 »

I haven't tried Search and Destroy yet, but I ran Malwareytes in Safe Mode and got nothing. Of course, when Avast's boot-time scan didn't work, I wasn't really expecting much...

My mom talked to one of the more technical guys at her work place. He more or less suggested the same thing as you av, but added that I can't transfer any of my files off my computer (because they might spread the virus) and that if none of the antivirus software available can find it I would have to do something drastic to get rid of it (I think he said uninstall windows, but I don't remember what he said). Is that true? I mean, this virus definitely isn't from anything I downloaded, so could it have really infected any of my personal files (judging off the description of behavior from my last post)? That's a lot of pictures, stories, old essays and other such files I'd have to wipe... :(
Image Image