QUESTION THREAD!

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: QUESTION THREAD!

#211 Post by avwolf »

Symphona wrote:I guess the modprobe works, it just returns me to to a prompt with no other reply.
Check

Code: Select all

lsmod
and make sure that ath5k is listed. Then you'll know if the module installed correctly.

Have you tried going through some of the community docs on the issue?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo
http://www.stoltenow.com/archives/2006/ ... figur.html
http://beginlinux.com/desktop_training/ ... less-setup

Until I get back to a Linux computer that uses wireless, I can't help much more, I'm afraid.

Symphona
Apprentice

#212 Post by Symphona »

yupyup, its listed there, so I'll have a read through of those docs and see what I can do.

I'm afraid that will be later, I'm half way through painting a room currently...as you do.

I'll tell ya how it goes; thanks for that!

Sym
Linux is hard...

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#213 Post by Ryusen »

OK, this is a computer related question, so I'm going to go ahead and post it here:

Simply put, I need to solve a 96x96 matrix using the MATLAB program. Unless I change my approach, I'm looking at using no more than an RREF or inverse command. My question is this: considering the enormous size of this matrix, and the relative underpowerd-ness of my laptop, should I even attempt to execute the command on my laptop, or should I try and use my connection to the comp sci building to get one of their (very beastly) computers to run it for me?
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#214 Post by avwolf »

MATLAB's surprisingly robust, so it might actually run the matrix on your laptop, but I'll bet it will take one heck of a long time and pretty much bind the computer all the way up for the whole time. My impulse says "go for a heftier box if you can manage it." Otherwise, if you've got all night and you don't mind letting your computer put together a very large swap file, you could give it a shot on the laptop.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#215 Post by Ryusen »

I can let it run over the weekend, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Once again, the computer-guru has spoken.

Now to input 9216 values in the matrix! It's not like I need to sleep anytime soon.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

boygenius32
Master

#216 Post by boygenius32 »

I was looking for a program to put a computer screen into 3d by using th red/green glasses you get at theatres, and I was wondering if anyone knew a program to do that.

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#217 Post by epion04 »

boygenius32 wrote:I was looking for a program to put a computer screen into 3d by using th red/green glasses you get at theatres, and I was wondering if anyone knew a program to do that.

Well I am assuming you are using windows here. To my knowledge there is no easy to get application for that. If you are using linux there is an addon for Compiz that can do that though.

http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~cyberorg/ ... 3d-compiz/
My avatar is the result of arting for the first time in 8 years... not bad I believe ^_^
clock.exe has preformed an illegal error, time has stopped. Please restart the universe.
I FAILED KINDERGARTEN SPELLING!!!>_<

Symphona
Apprentice

#218 Post by Symphona »

bah, well I've confirmed that the aht5k and all its related modules are loading up on boot, but I still can't seem to get anywhere...doing an iwconfig gets me

lo
eth0
pan0

all with 'no wireless extensions' after them. (I think i remember reading that pan0 is for bluetooth?)

my interfaces file has got (several) wifi connections in it, as well as the eth0 and pan0, so I'm not sure where the problem is...

--

As far as the screen issues, It hasn't changed anything, which is a shame. on a possibly related note, its strted hanging on a part of the boot process, until I hit escape at which point its quite happy and proceeds as normal. I've just turned on the boot log, so more information in a bit.

Thanks, Sym

*EDIT*

Boot log refuses to log anything, still hanging, but its a minor issue. Screen is now working, although only at 800x600, but its a victory I'll take. Still no wireless.
Linux is hard...

The Luigiian
Banned
Banned

#219 Post by The Luigiian »

Whenever I used to use XP, the program would give you time to save programs when shutting down. I'd press the shutdown button, and the computer would go through each program and ask me if I wanted to save, and I would usually say yes.

Now I have my new computer and I typically have a dozen programs open at a time, such as Adobe Illustrator and Indesign. I keep on forgetting I'm on a [censored] computer and the computer gives me around five seconds to save before it just closes the program and shuts down. By my estimates I've lost about half the work I put on the computer this way.

If you're the type that's going to tell me "HEY WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO THROUGH YOUR PROBLEMS BEFORE SHUTTING DOWN YOUR COMPUTER DERP DERP" then [censored] YOU and in addition [censored] VISTA because I am sick and tired of changing around the way I do things to suit a program that is worse than its predecessor and which I only keep because I have to. I spent an hour today tracing out pictures of some heron birds and I'm going to have to do it again because Illustrator has lost the vectors for them.

How do I change the computer settings to give me a few minutes to save programs before I shut down the system?

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#220 Post by epion04 »

The Luigiian wrote:Whenever I used to use XP, the program would give you time to save programs when shutting down. I'd press the shutdown button, and the computer would go through each program and ask me if I wanted to save, and I would usually say yes.

Now I have my new computer and I typically have a dozen programs open at a time, such as Adobe Illustrator and Indesign. I keep on forgetting I'm on a [censored] computer and the computer gives me around five seconds to save before it just closes the program and shuts down. By my estimates I've lost about half the work I put on the computer this way.

If you're the type that's going to tell me "HEY WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO THROUGH YOUR PROBLEMS BEFORE SHUTTING DOWN YOUR COMPUTER DERP DERP" then [censored] YOU and in addition [censored] VISTA because I am sick and tired of changing around the way I do things to suit a program that is worse than its predecessor and which I only keep because I have to. I spent an hour today tracing out pictures of some heron birds and I'm going to have to do it again because Illustrator has lost the vectors for them.

How do I change the computer settings to give me a few minutes to save programs before I shut down the system?

Now I have not really had this problem myself but doing some digging around on the 'net I came across this
Windows BBS wrote: From what I understand there's basically 2 things that affect this:
- csrss.exe
- the SCM (services.exe)

csrss.exe's timeout is defaulted to 20 seconds and resides in HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WaitToKillAppTimeout (FYI - my Vista installation doesn't have this value)

The SCM's timeout also defaults to 20 seconds and it resides in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceTimeout (FYI - my Vista installation has this key as a Reg_sz value with a data field of 20000

I think it's most likely that the SCM has be set to some other value, but would recommend checking both locations. If you find something amiss, BACKUP your registry before making any changes!
Reading around there seem to have been cases where peoples timeouts were set to something like 2 sec. Basically by the time you reach for the mouse it is already timing out and shutting down.

As a note, You will want to remember that changing these fields will also effect other things like if you use CTRL+ALT+DEL and end task, the new timeout will be counted there too though. Another thing you might look at is the AutoKillApp reg entry round in the same place as CSRSS.EXE's entry from what I am finding around. This value may or may not be there. Also all values are listed as 20000=20 sec. Of course this is the registry we are working with so always be careful.
My avatar is the result of arting for the first time in 8 years... not bad I believe ^_^
clock.exe has preformed an illegal error, time has stopped. Please restart the universe.
I FAILED KINDERGARTEN SPELLING!!!>_<

The Luigiian
Banned
Banned

#221 Post by The Luigiian »

epion04 wrote:
The Luigiian wrote:Whenever I used to use XP, the program would give you time to save programs when shutting down. I'd press the shutdown button, and the computer would go through each program and ask me if I wanted to save, and I would usually say yes.

Now I have not really had this problem myself but doing some digging around on the 'net I came across this
Windows BBS wrote: From what I understand there's basically 2 things that affect this:
- csrss.exe
- the SCM (services.exe)

csrss.exe's timeout is defaulted to 20 seconds and resides in HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WaitToKillAppTimeout (FYI - my Vista installation doesn't have this value)

The SCM's timeout also defaults to 20 seconds and it resides in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceTimeout (FYI - my Vista installation has this key as a Reg_sz value with a data field of 20000

I think it's most likely that the SCM has be set to some other value, but would recommend checking both locations. If you find something amiss, BACKUP your registry before making any changes!
Reading around there seem to have been cases where peoples timeouts were set to something like 2 sec. Basically by the time you reach for the mouse it is already timing out and shutting down.

As a note, You will want to remember that changing these fields will also effect other things like if you use CTRL+ALT+DEL and end task, the new timeout will be counted there too though. Another thing you might look at is the AutoKillApp reg entry round in the same place as CSRSS.EXE's entry from what I am finding around. This value may or may not be there. Also all values are listed as 20000=20 sec. Of course this is the registry we are working with so always be careful.
Thanks. Sorry, the problem is driving me nuts. I actually saw this information, but I will look into trying it. :)

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#222 Post by Sage Asuka »

Still struggling to get Autodesk Maya 2009 working on my computer at college.

Here's the deal: I installed it to my computer. To use the program, the computer must have internet access and an activated license. It verifies your license based off your net connection.

I installed it at home using my dad's wireless connection a few months ago. Then, when college started, I took my computer to my campus. Because the internet connection is provided by the school, I had to reactivate another license to use it.

Here's where it gets wierd. It accepts my license and says the program is successfully installed...only to restart the process of stating I never got a license for it. It's basically a giant loop where I give it what it wants, it's happy, starts to work but the WOAH! I want that license provided again! And again! And again! And again!!

contacted their forums only to be ignored. Contacted their help desk only to be asked to pay $75 an hour to listen to a guy try to help. :roll:

Anyone got any ideas?
Image Image Image Image

Narane
Quiet You!

#223 Post by Narane »

Umm uhh

Some time ago, Microsoft.com stopped working. I thought nothing of it at first, thinking that I just got extremely unlucky and the site was down... for some reason... every time I had visited it. There wasn't any reason to go there too frequently, so yeah.
Then I started realizing a lot of things were suddenly blocked permanently, along with all the well known antivirus websites. Then I realized again that none of the antivirus programs were running either; when one runs, the .exe file gets blocked and deleted, so reinstalling doesn't work either. It just goes away forever.
D:
Not sure what to do now.

Code: Select all

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:53:59 PM, on 24/11/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0013)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pen_Tablet.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\Pen_TabletUser.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pen_Tablet.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kim\Desktop\setup.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsiExec.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdwizreg.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdlite.exe
E:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = 
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = 
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = 
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: ContributeBHO Class - {074C1DC5-9320-4A9A-947D-C042949C6216} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/Adobe Contribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: IWebInterception Class - {BFDDBDBB-F62C-4D4A-B574-59D276F47196} - C:\Program Files\Click To Tweak [Basic]\WebInterception.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Contribute Toolbar - {517BDDE4-E3A7-4570-B21E-2B52B6139FC7} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/Adobe Contribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe_ID0EYTHM] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Adobe\ADOBEV~1\Server\bin\VERSIO~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDMCon] "C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdmcon.exe" /reg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDAgent] "C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdagent.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Lite] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -autorun
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [_nltide_2] regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32 (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [_nltide_2] regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32 (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [_nltide_2] regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32 (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [_nltide_2] regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32 (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: Sothink SWF Catcher - {E19ADC6E-3909-43E4-9A89-B7B676377EE3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sothink SWF Catcher - {E19ADC6E-3909-43E4-9A89-B7B676377EE3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS3 - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3\Server\bin\VersionCueCS3.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Scan Server (bdss) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Desktop Update Service (LIVESRV) - SOFTWIN S.R.L. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: TabletServicePen - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pen_Tablet.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - SOFTWIN S.R.L. - C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Communicator (XCOMM) - SOFTWIN S.R.L - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe

--
End of file - 8140 bytes
EDIT: Old antiviruses aren't getting deleted. However, they're not detecting anything either, nor I can update them (the update server's homepages are blocked).

PhycoKrusk
Grand Templar

#224 Post by PhycoKrusk »

Sage Asuka wrote:Still struggling to get Autodesk Maya 2009 working on my computer at college.

Here's the deal: I installed it to my computer. To use the program, the computer must have internet access and an activated license. It verifies your license based off your net connection.

I installed it at home using my dad's wireless connection a few months ago. Then, when college started, I took my computer to my campus. Because the internet connection is provided by the school, I had to reactivate another license to use it.

Here's where it gets wierd. It accepts my license and says the program is successfully installed...only to restart the process of stating I never got a license for it. It's basically a giant loop where I give it what it wants, it's happy, starts to work but the WOAH! I want that license provided again! And again! And again! And again!!

contacted their forums only to be ignored. Contacted their help desk only to be asked to pay $75 an hour to listen to a guy try to help. :roll:

Anyone got any ideas?
I don't know the exact details of how the program works, of course, but I have two guesses as to the problem.

1) Something in a registry key or library is messed up and is being constantly set to "unlicensed," which causes the loop.

2) There is a conflict because the program has been licensed twice, but only installed once. It accepts the new key, but then tries to default back to the old one, which causes the process to restart as if it had never been done. This seems like the most likely problem, although if it really does require a separate license every time your IP address changes (meaning it can only be installed, really, at one location with a static IP address), that is seriously the WORST and most [censored] backwards DRM I have ever seen in my life.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#225 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Narane wrote:Umm uhh

Some time ago, Microsoft.com stopped working. I thought nothing of it at first, thinking that I just got extremely unlucky and the site was down... for some reason... every time I had visited it. There wasn't any reason to go there too frequently, so yeah.
Then I started realizing a lot of things were suddenly blocked permanently, along with all the well known antivirus websites. Then I realized again that none of the antivirus programs were running either; when one runs, the .exe file gets blocked and deleted, so reinstalling doesn't work either. It just goes away forever.
D:
Not sure what to do now.

EDIT: Old antiviruses aren't getting deleted. However, they're not detecting anything either, nor I can update them (the update server's homepages are blocked).
Unless you were running a setup program at the time of the above snapshot...
C:\Documents and Settings\Kim\Desktop\setup.exe
^Delete this, or rename it something different.^