Regular Computer Maintenance

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

enzia35
Master

Re: Regular Computer Maintenance

#16 Post by enzia35 »

Here's my usual routine:
Spybot
CCleaner
Disk cleanup
jkdefrag
Get's it good enough.

boygenius32
Master

#17 Post by boygenius32 »

jk defrag is the best free defragmenter out there. just sayin.

BladeMaverick
Traveler

#18 Post by BladeMaverick »

I generally back up everything I have on my laptop onto my desktop at least once or twice a week via either Network or USB to USB using PCLinq.

For defragmenting, I use IOBit's SmartDefrag. It gets the job done the first time, has options for just a defrag, auto-defragging, file optimization, even scheduling a defragment/optimize. I defrag once a night at 1am, every night. Works great. I use it on my laptop, and on my desktop (That runs as a server/backup computer). The built in Defragmentation software from Windows doesn't exactly get all the frags out. Probably does about 50% of the job for about double the time needed to defrag. =S

For speed up and performance, I also use another one of IOBit's products, GameBooster. It shuts down applications that are "not necessary" to be running at the time while playing a game (Or for other things as well), with that, speeding up the CPU and defragmenting the RAM, increasing overall performance. As an example, without it, playing [Prototype] at 1024x768 (Widescreen for my laptop, I don't mind the graphics being squished a bit, generally record with that and re-size it in Sony Vegas and appears correct), the graphical lag was pretty bad (About 10~30 FPS [Frames Per Second]). Press the space bar to jump into the air while moving, and probably a second later, the character jumped. By that time I had already slammed myself (character) into a wall or oncoming tank. Shutting down [Prototype] and initializing GameBooster, brought up my frame rate to about 30~40 FPS, if not greater when I went back in-game. A BIG leap.

I use it since most of the already loaded applications from Vista that it uses, I don't even use (Example, Print Spooler, Windows Time, Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (Yep, manager manager, when one Alt-Tabs to select another program, and you can see what is going on, on another application. It reverts it back to the XP/Pre-XP style alt tab), Application Experience, Portable Device Enumerator Service, I can go on with the list but that would take too much time and most people would stop right there, eh?)

Also upon hitting "Game Mode", it will ask if you wanted to shut down any currently running applications that the USER has running (Meaning yourself, a few examples that I have running :: traybar.exe -- used for my Chicony built-in Webcam on my laptop; GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe -- Dun know, dun care. Probably can be uninstalled from Controlpanel but I'm lazy >: ; Steam.exe -- lol, I want this running thanks; msnmsgr.exe -- MSN, Use it alot, so I don't wanna shut it down. BTTray.exe, Bluetooth manager, yes want running.) You can leave a check mark on the stuff you want shut down, and leave whatever else you want not checked. As a note, anything that looks, seems, or feels important, you probably want to leave running. Example of that, AirNCFG.exe on mine, is SynTPEnh.exe, That's for use of my laptop's built in mouse, I kinda like to use that every once in a while, seems important, no?

My Laptop's Specs from Xfire, check the bottom of the page.

Other than that, if my computer seems to slow down, to the point playing a game is pointless due to low FPS or knowing something is up, I reformat, and get back up and running in a few hours (Longest, about 8 hours).

On my desktop, I have three harddrives going while running Vista x64, one built in 250gb, one 124gb, and another 500gb drive that I have sitting in its case elsewhere at the moment. Using the 124gb to backup my laptop, and to periodically backup the backup using the 250gb, then disabling it through the Device Manager until later use.

The use of anti-virus software is null to me, using only Windows Firewall and Windows Defender for protection. Flimsy at best, I know. But I believe in the philosophy of D.S.², Don't Do Stupid Crap (Replace "Crap" with the four letter S word). As long as you don't put your computer into that kind of danger, you have a higher chance of not getting it. If I do by chance get a virus or something of the sort, I have a CD of Avast!, reboot into safe mode and let it do its thing.

I have a strange system for doing things the looooong way. Especially with things like typing out explanations as one can see here, and unfortunately as well as for my Introductory Post. People say I'm a hazard to myself and others around me, then come back to me with questions such as "Why won't this work?" "So much for a hazard, eh?"

Pretty much my general routine, running when I start Windows in the hidden admin mode (Hazardous yes, but I like to speed along with my process, and not have to wait for it to ASK for permission. I know what I'm getting into, and if something flunks out, its my own dang fault. o3o), Smart Defrag starting up and then running GameBooster to improve performance, then generally gaming, drawing, or doing whatever else during the day whilst my computer is running.

------

Kay yeah I gotta stop writing these long posts. -Smacks hands- DON'T MOCK ME, MY HAIR IS MAGICAL.

On another note :: Those who are interested, Gamebooster and SmartDefrag are both Free from IOBit. Consider it free advertisement. =S

"The next person that says "Sweetheart" gets pistol whipped..."

boygenius32
Master

#19 Post by boygenius32 »

This has nothing to do with computer maintenance.
Relevance or GTFO