Intel CPU Security Flaw

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

Intel CPU Security Flaw

#1 Post by Cyon »

WAKE UP IN HERE!
So yesterday an Intel CPU security flaw surfaced that compromises computer security, the patch for which could potentially reduce system performance by 9 - 20% depending on what generation the CPU is from.

phpBB [video]

Make sure to update your OS if you've turned off automatic updates, I don't think there's anything else you can do.
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: Intel CPU Security Flaw

#2 Post by Myperson54 »

Do keep in mind that this bug only resulted in a 30% slowdown for one application on one device tested by researchers, and it was one which made a kernel access call multiple times a second. The vast majority of userspace programs, especially games, will not see a performance hit significant enough to notice.

The security implications are real and dangerous. The slowdowns have been overreported. Everyone, update your systems.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

Re: Intel CPU Security Flaw

#3 Post by Neutral Smith »

https://danielmiessler.com/blog/simple- ... n-spectre/

https://meltdownattack.com/ <- With a lot more information.

My advice: just wait for the patches, and apply them as soon as possible, there's not much else to do. And don't let hackers touch your keyboard.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.