Lighting in video

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

NiWo21k
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

Lighting in video

#1 Post by NiWo21k »

I hope i find someone who can give me a tip in something that regards lighting in a video :wink:

I started recording some short videos (nothing special, i use it more as a english speaking training). But something that bothers me a little bit is the lighting.

My setup is a ceiling lamp with 4 small halogen bulbs and a white bed sheet in front, but i have still the problem, that the light is still reflected in some of the picture frames in the background. Has someone an idea how i can reduce this without reducing the light quality? I startet with led stripes but they werent bright enough. And i dont want to buy any special equipment, because i dont think that i will do this on a long run (its not realy good).

If there isnt a "do-it-yourself" i can live with it :wink:
Just an average internet user and :natani: & :raine: fan

My head is full of ideas, but i cant get them on paper - Please brain start thinking about important stuff.

Avatar: a reinterpretation of my own character by Claarin

Samantaz
Master

Re: Lighting in video

#2 Post by Samantaz »

It reflects behind you ?

You can't change it (the background) by recording elsewhere ?
I'm not saying that i'm Batman, But nobody saw Batman and me together.

Furcode : FCF3a A C- D+++ H++ P- R- T++ W-- Sf- RLTI a- cl++ e++ f- h** iw+++ j- p-- sm-
Awesome avatar by Kiabugboy

NiWo21k
Merchant

#3 Post by NiWo21k »

Samantaz wrote: You can't change it (the background) by recording elsewhere ?
Sadly there arent other possibilitys :? I thought about removing the frames, but the wall behind them looks very "dirty" (its a little bit hard to explain, but you can see where the old furniture stood).

Maybe if i cant do anything about the lamps i have to find something to hang direct behind me.

My head is full of ideas, but i cant get them on paper - Please brain start thinking about important stuff.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

That, or you could try putting a smaller light next to your monitor, shining right toward you. That should make your face bright enough that the glare from the frames will be insignificant.

And yeah, hanging something behind you would help as well. Darker backgrounds tend to help with contrast.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

NiWo21k
Merchant

#5 Post by NiWo21k »

Thanks for the input.

The first thing i will try this weekend are different lamps (i just got some for testing), if one of them works i will go with that and if not, then i will have to get some blankets and try different background colours.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#6 Post by Dadrobit »

Make a frame behind you out of PVC pipes and hang a clean white sheet taught across it covering up the otherwise problematic background?

NiWo21k
Merchant

#7 Post by NiWo21k »

Dadrobit wrote:Make a frame behind you out of PVC pipes and hang a clean white sheet taught across it covering up the otherwise problematic background?
Thats...actually not a bad idea. Havent thought about that - there may be other problems with this construction but nothing to complicated. Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Dadrobit »

NiWo21k wrote:
Dadrobit wrote:Make a frame behind you out of PVC pipes and hang a clean white sheet taught across it covering up the otherwise problematic background?
Thats...actually not a bad idea. Havent thought about that - there may be other problems with this construction but nothing to complicated. Will keep that in mind. Thanks.
No problem, here to help! :mrgrin: