Graphic tablets monitors inquiry

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Jarlath
Citizen

Graphic tablets monitors inquiry

#1 Post by Jarlath »

Hey all,
I'm not anywhere near a practiced drawer. Art really isn't my forte, but my son however seems to like ti and I would like to encourage him to pursue it if he enjoys it. I am looking to get an introductory graphics tablet for him if at all possible.

Obviously I know of Wacom and their products from TwoKinds creator, Mr. Tom Fischbach. However it seems that the Cintiqs are considered professional grade and have the price to match. My son it feeling it out and therefore I'm looking for the other brands that won't break the bank, as well as what to look for and what to watch out for... I would appreciate any advice or assistance you can provide.

Many thanks in advance,
- Jarlath

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Graphic tablets monitors inquiry

#2 Post by Vintage »

While a Wacom tablet or Cintiq would be really nice, I do have to agree with you on how expensive they are. I'd love one, but I just don't want to spend that much on it.

I don't draw a whole lot, but I use Photoshop quite often. I got this (https://www.amazon.com/12-Inch-Touch-Sc ... B000Z06VMG) from a friend of mine years ago (albeit with a different, thicker and cumbersome pen) and it works pretty well for my needs. Not to mention its retail price is only around $50. You might be able to find cheaper ones, but you're going to start having to be careful about the quality of the product you're receiving.

The thing with drawing tablets in my experience is that you need to have a comfortable pen. The pen that I currently use isn't ergonomic at all, nor is it very convenient to use. Luckily I don't freehand draw with it too often and I can avoid the awkwardness of its shape.

You can also go overboard with the size of the tablet itself, but I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. For me, 12" is a good size for a tablet because it both avoids the annoyance of small, movement-sensitive drawing areas and prevents the strain of having to move your arms constantly for large tablets that are almost 1:1 in size with your monitor.

Of course, I've only been able to try out four different types of tablets (Vistablet, Two Walcom's and a Cintiq) and I certainly don't do anything professionally/frequently like Tom, so all of this stuff just comes from my amateur experience.

But man, those Cintiqs are nice. It actually displays the screen on the tablet itself, making it easier for hand-eye coordination.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Hayate
The Hidden User

#3 Post by Hayate »

If you are looking for something cheap, good, yet entry level I would recommend looking up the Huion610 Pro. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I will be buying myself one for Christmas this year I think.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Jarlath
Citizen

#4 Post by Jarlath »

Hmmm... Can you use a display graphics tablet for Gaming?

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#5 Post by puredeathly »

Jarlath wrote:Hmmm... Can you use a display graphics tablet for Gaming?
Well you could. It is just a monitor (it won't be like one of those "super fast" monitors for FPS gaming but good enough. often they are a bit small though).

I got myself a Fijitsu t730 for school and it works quite well using Linux. Any laptop featuring Wacom penabled stuff would probably work. They are not as amazing as a Cintiq but they are really nice for drawing anyways.
I haven't tried Huion tablets yet but I can certainly say that n-trig, trust, medion and a few other brands and noname tablets I tried are really crappy.
So far I only heard positive stuff about Huion but I'd really like to try one someday ^^ (I almost got something one could call a collection of graphics tablets... I have about 10 different ones at home currently :3)

Jarlath
Citizen

#6 Post by Jarlath »

I ask as I may have a line on a used Cintiq 24HD (2-3 years old) for around $1100USD.

It is for my son (who is only 11) but unfortunately he plays stuff like TF2. Whereas I'm a World of Tank player.

puredeathly
Master

#7 Post by puredeathly »

That's an expensive toy for an 11 years old :P
It should be perfectly fine for playing TF2 if he isn't used to a high end gaming monitor (as I said: It's not different to a normal monitor).
The only thing would be color management (as the 24" cintiq is AdobeRGB iirc you will have waaay too saturated colors when not using an apropriate color profile). I have no Idea how TF2 on Windows manages this (on Linux with KDE/Plasma5 I just apply a color profile to a screen and it works with almost all applications).

Jarlath
Citizen

#8 Post by Jarlath »

puredeathly wrote:That's an expensive toy for an 11 years old :P
It should be perfectly fine for playing TF2 if he isn't used to a high end gaming monitor (as I said: It's not different to a normal monitor).
The only thing would be color management (as the 24" cintiq is AdobeRGB iirc you will have waaay too saturated colors when not using an apropriate color profile). I have no Idea how TF2 on Windows manages this (on Linux with KDE/Plasma5 I just apply a color profile to a screen and it works with almost all applications).
So I decided against the 24HD. I did some more research and discovered that display is just too big... over 30" across. That wouldn't work when his small little computer desk is only 29" wide... So looking possibly for a smaller/lighter one that I could mount on an arm.

Yeah, it's a fair amount of $$$ but my sons are worth every penny to me. Besides, sold a snow blower and some other extra junk around my house to clean up, and will use those funds for paying for my kid's Christmas presents. I've spent over 50K on renovations and goodies for me and the family this year. The next several years will be LEAN as we rebuild the warchest... But an extra thou or two on "extras" won't put me in trouble...

I may also take a gander at a Wacom Companion/Hybrid... smaller yes... but I like the idea of him bringing it along on trips and such...

Dianae
New Citizen

#9 Post by Dianae »

If you were worried about price and space, I might want to suggest this 22" model

MP 22-inch 1080p Battery-Free Pen Display Tablet

Monoprice usually has some good quality items, and I've had my eye on this for awhile, it's smaller than the 24HD and might fit on the desk better.

20.9" x 12.5" x 1.6" (531 x 318 x 40 mm) are the actual measurements.

I agree with others that it is an expensive "toy" for a child, but at $500 retail, and sometimes on sale... It's a bargain worth investing in if you want to pursue art with this style of tablet.

Edit: I agree about finding something that fits the size you want and what is manageable.

Jarlath
Citizen

#10 Post by Jarlath »

Dianae wrote:If you were worried about price and space, I might want to suggest this 22" model

Monoprice usually has some good quality items, and I've had my eye on this for awhile, it's smaller than the 24HD and might fit on the desk better.

I agree with others that it is an expensive "toy" for a child, but at $500 retail, and sometimes on sale... It's a bargain worth investing in if you want to pursue art with this style of tablet.

Edit: I agree about finding something that fits the size you want and what is manageable.
I do like the look of that one. And it is light enough to put on an arm mount if needed (the included stand is removable..)
Someone doesn't like it though in reviews on Monoprice's website however:
PROS: Did not catch fire.
Yes it is a toy for now. In a few years, he may decide to go into graphics design, illustration or even comics. I want him to have those avenues available for him, should he choose to pursue those. If not, it gets sold at a later date or donated to someone who is interested (maybe even to a student at my local college). I am a firm believer in Karma and pay it forward :).

Dianae
New Citizen

#11 Post by Dianae »

Jarlath wrote:
Dianae wrote:If you were worried about price and space, I might want to suggest this 22" model

I do like the look of that one. And it is light enough to put on an arm mount if needed (the included stand is removable..)
Someone doesn't like it though in reviews on Monoprice's website however:
PROS: Did not catch fire.
Yes it is a toy for now. In a few years, he may decide to go into graphics design, illustration or even comics. I want him to have those avenues available for him, should he choose to pursue those. If not, it gets sold at a later date or donated to someone who is interested (maybe even to a student at my local college). I am a firm believer in Karma and pay it forward :).

one bad review is not a deal breaker for me, but I know Monoprice has been very good on a customer service side. I have one of their lower end models, but it didn't have a screen which made it a little less intuitive.

Jarlath
Citizen

#12 Post by Jarlath »

So I lucked out and was able to snag a used Cintiq Companion (512gb SSD version) for my son(s). Just awaiting its arrival so it can be wrapped up for X-Mas...
Manga Studio as well. Much happiness.

puredeathly
Master

#13 Post by puredeathly »

Jarlath wrote:Manga Studio as well. Much happiness.
For drawing you should totally check out Krita.
It's awesome and I like it a lot better than manga studio.

Did you get the Cintiq Companion 2 or the first gen?

Hayate
The Hidden User

#14 Post by Hayate »

puredeathly wrote:
I've never used Manga Studio, but I can vouch for Krita! I went into it with no experience and found it fairly easy to use. For a free program it can really do a lot.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Jarlath
Citizen

#15 Post by Jarlath »

puredeathly wrote:

Did you get the Cintiq Companion 2 or the first gen?
Gen 1. With the i7 cpu, 8g ram, and the 512g SSD