Having difficulty accessing the twokinds site.

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

WolfenWatcher

Having difficulty accessing the twokinds site.

#1 Post by WolfenWatcher »

For over a month now I have been unable to access the main comic site without going through a proxy, my browser says "The twokinds.keenspot.com page isn’t working twokinds.keenspot.com redirected you too many times. ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS" but it works fine using proxy-us.hide.me so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any help/suggestions appreciated. I didn't see a 'technical issues' board, so I hope this is the right place to post this. Thanks!

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Having difficulty accessing the twokinds site.

#2 Post by avwolf »

That sounds weird and suspicious to me. My first thought is DNS poisoning. I'm going to assume you're Windows, correct me if I'm wrong. Can you open a Command Prompt window on your computer and enter the following:

Code: Select all

nslookup twokinds.keenspot.com
Let us know everything that it tells you.

That command says "do a name service lookup for twokinds.keenspot.com." It will respond with the IP address (and sometimes hostname) of the DNS server it is asking for a response from and whatever the name server says the name "twokinds.keenspot.com" resolves to. In my case, that's 104.161.92.138. (If Keenspot is using edge-caching or a content delivery network, like the Cloudflare service, that number may be different, but I would still regard other addresses as suspicious.)

amenon
Grand Templar

#3 Post by amenon »

avwolf wrote:In my case, that's 104.161.92.138. (If Keenspot is using edge-caching or a content delivery network, like the Cloudflare service, that number may be different, but I would still regard other addresses as suspicious.)
Keenspot's DNS looks perfectly straightforward at least to my casual inspection, so I'm pretty sure 104.161.92.138 is the one and only correct answer at this time.

I don't actually have a good guess on what might be going on, though. Doesn't sound quite like anything I've ever run into.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

cliffpanther
Grand Templar
Location: In the central point of the Universe. Just like everyone else.

#4 Post by cliffpanther »

Simple questions first: Have you tried a different browser? Also: Try clearing cookies and cache.

WolfenWatcher

#5 Post by WolfenWatcher »

nslookup twokinds.keenspot.com gets me this-
Server: ns1.recursive.dnsbycomodo.com
Address: 8.26.56.26

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: twokinds.keenspot.com
Address: 104.161.92.138

Looks like it might be a remnant from when I had Comodo's browser, Dragon . Thanks for the help!

Edit- Hmm, changed my DNS settings, deleted all twokinds cookies, restarted, and I still get the same error, nuts.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by avwolf »

Oh, that's interesting. You're going to the right place...

What browser are you using? I'm going to suggest turning off Flash and Javascript for a test, and if I know the browser you're using I might be able to give you the step-by-step.

The proxy you're using has settings to "remove scripts" and "remove objects," which mostly just suppresses ad content, but if you're getting bad ads or some other kind of script injection, that'd cure the hijack too. Your computer knows the right address to go to for the Twokinds site, and I believe that your browser is probably trying to visit the correct place and then getting hijacked (this is not necessary true, but it's a lot harder to deal with "the browser is hijacked instantly" without having to resort to "get a new browser). Ad networks end up with compromised or malicious ads (or are hijacked in their own right) somewhat commonly, and that might lead to the behavior you're experiencing. If you can visit the Twokinds site with Javascript turned off, then that is almost certainly the case.

WolfenWatcher

#7 Post by WolfenWatcher »

avwolf wrote:Oh, that's interesting. You're going to the right place...

What browser are you using? I'm going to suggest turning off Flash and Javascript for a test, and if I know the browser you're using I might be able to give you the step-by-step.

The proxy you're using has settings to "remove scripts" and "remove objects," which mostly just suppresses ad content, but if you're getting bad ads or some other kind of script injection, that'd cure the hijack too. Your computer knows the right address to go to for the Twokinds site, and I believe that your browser is probably trying to visit the correct place and then getting hijacked (this is not necessary true, but it's a lot harder to deal with "the browser is hijacked instantly" without having to resort to "get a new browser). Ad networks end up with compromised or malicious ads (or are hijacked in their own right) somewhat commonly, and that might lead to the behavior you're experiencing. If you can visit the Twokinds site with Javascript turned off, then that is almost certainly the case.
Well, tried Javascript off and got the same error. Didn't see a Flash off option so I tried 'Let me choose when to run plugins' and that didn't help.
I'm using chrome, Version 49.0.2623.112 m (which is no longer updated because XP is no longer supported)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#8 Post by Bellhead »

WolfenWatcher wrote:Well, tried Javascript off and got the same error. Didn't see a Flash off option so I tried 'Let me choose when to run plugins' and that didn't help.
I'm using chrome, Version 49.0.2623.112 m (which is no longer updated because XP is no longer supported)
If you're still using XP, as I am right now, try a lightweight browser, like an old version of Firefox. I currently use FF 28.0, with updates and JAVA disabled, and Flash on "always ask".

Also, have you done a virus/malware scan recently?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

WolfenWatcher

#9 Post by WolfenWatcher »

Bellhead wrote: Also, have you done a virus/malware scan recently?
Yeah, and it came up fine, I'm using Avast free.
Huh, hooked up my other HDD and tried twokinds home site in FF, worked fine!
Weird. No real hope of fixing it in chrome since it's no longer updating in XP, oh well! I'll just have to use a proxy for it from now on.
Thanks for the help everybody!

WolfenWatcher

#10 Post by WolfenWatcher »

Update- Now it works in Chrome too! Didn't change anything on my end, so it must've been a change on the site/ISP side. Convenient!

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#11 Post by puredeathly »

Just one (pretty unrelated) question: Why on earth are you still using Windows XP? If your PC isn't able to run a newer Windows install, you really should get yourself some form of lightweight and user friendly Linux distro. Xubuntu for example runs waaay smoother on old machines (It runs fine even on the oldest still working machine I could find - a Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM) than Win XP and "security" is basically nonexistent when using XP (it has holes like a sieve :P).