Used PSU, should I buy?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

musicgeek
Apprentice

Used PSU, should I buy?

#1 Post by musicgeek »

On eBay I saw a listing for a Corsair RM650 that's being resold at a significantly reduced price, the seller says that it performs as new and that all cables are included as is the original box.
It's an 80+ gold rated PSU which gives me more confidence than if it were a bronze or just 80+ rated unit.
Should I take the plunge and buy a good tier PSU that's been used?
oh god what do i put here

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Used PSU, should I buy?

#2 Post by SirSlaughter »

I've dabbled into the Used market just fine on Ebay before. If the seller states it is like new then you have proof of what the seller says VS what you receive if anything goes wrong. As such you are also under Ebay Buyer protection as well as (if you use Paypal) Paypals protection. Just be sure to read up on their policies if you are unsure about it.

Seeing as it is a gold rated I would be confident in its performance. Chances are just like myself, they are selling the power supply to make more room for a bigger and better one. I went from a corsair GS600 to an EVGA 1000G. I should have totally waited out for a bigger one like a 1600W.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

Re: Used PSU, should I buy?

#3 Post by Ryusen »

A good PS will last you longer than most every other component in your build. As long as it's a high-tier, then I would say it's fine to buy used. You should expect a lower life expectancy than a new unit (obviously), but the RM series is one of the better ones out there, so reliability shouldn't be an issue.

Double check the warranty, but I believe it may be registered to the power supply itself, not the owner. That would mean, if it fails, you may receive a new one no questions asked.
It's an 80+ gold rated PSU which gives me more confidence than if it were a bronze or just 80+ rated unit.
Power efficiency is nice, but over-rated. We're talking a few dollars a month at most, if not per year.
I should have totally waited out for a bigger one like a 1600W.
I've moved to using a miniature arc reactor to power my rig. Not too loud, and it emits a nice, warm radiation.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.