Midnight's New Setup

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
midnightblink
Council Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 7:03 am
Location: Troutdale Oregon

Midnight's New Setup

#1 Post by midnightblink »

Hey guys, I just wanted to write this topic to ask about an upcoming upgrade I'm getting. I'm finally going to have a legitimate gaming computer instead of a laptop that's not exactly built for games, so I wanted to ask what you guys thought about my setup before I buy it all, in case anyone has any advice (e.g. don't buy this, it's too expensive/not good, this one is cheaper and just as good, this won't work with this, etc.). My friend and I planned this out with an expected cap of $700, but we somehow completely spaced on buying a monitor, keyboard and mouse, so the total came up to $868 dollars.

Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950- $182.72
CPU: Intel i5-4460- $179.11
Motherboard: ASUS LGA 1151- $109.99
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB- 2 for $34.38
Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus- $33.98
Power Supply: Sentey MBP750-HM 750 Watts- $62.99
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower- $98.17
Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Screen- $139.00
Mouse & Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse- $27.69
Image
Primum Non Nocere

User avatar
Vintage
Certified Fool
Posts: 1212
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 3:32 pm
Location: Planet Zambodia
Favorite Character: Natani

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#2 Post by Vintage »

Are you going for a new HDD/SSD, or are you using one you already have? What about speakers? Otherwise what you got there looks alright. I actually have two of the components that you're currently looking at. The keyboard/mouse bundle is alright, but really only because of its price. The keyboard itself is a little loud and hard to read when the backlight is off and the mouse's backlight cannot be turned off.

One thing about the price though is that you have to account for tax. My first computer was around $2000 on paper, but I ended up paying around $200 more in taxes.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

User avatar
midnightblink
Council Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 7:03 am
Location: Troutdale Oregon

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#3 Post by midnightblink »

TheWMM wrote:Are you going for a new HDD/SSD, or are you using one you already have? What about speakers? Otherwise what you got there looks alright. I actually have two of the components that you're currently looking at. The keyboard/mouse bundle is alright, but really only because of its price. The keyboard itself is a little loud and hard to read when the backlight is off and the mouse's backlight cannot be turned off.

One thing about the price though is that you have to account for tax. My first computer was around $2000 on paper, but I ended up paying around $200 more in taxes.
Planning on HDD, mostly because it's cheaper, but still reliable. Also, in Oregon, there is no sales tax, so that should be the full price. Readability isn't much of an issue on a keyboard for me, as I won't be looking down at it very often
Image
Primum Non Nocere

User avatar
midnightblink
Council Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 7:03 am
Location: Troutdale Oregon

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#4 Post by midnightblink »

schradieck wrote:Personally I would recommend getting st least a gtx 970, also you might be able afford the gtx 1080, which just released
Well, I'm already over my pre-set budget for the build, the 1080 alone would almost reach the max amount I could put into it if I wanted literally no money left afterwards (a little over $1000), and I don't think it's worth reaching that point of "no money left" by buying the 970. Do you think the difference is enough to justify that jump? I don't actually know that much about computer hardware, and my friend is the one who mostly set up this build.
Image
Primum Non Nocere

User avatar
amenon
Grand Templar
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#5 Post by amenon »

midnightblink wrote:Planning on HDD, mostly because it's cheaper, but still reliable. Also, in Oregon, there is no sales tax, so that should be the full price. Readability isn't much of an issue on a keyboard for me, as I won't be looking down at it very often
Get thee an SSD. And a HDD if you need to store a lot of stuff, but definitely an SSD. Even if you have to delay for it.

No real opinion on any of the rest. I only know about hardware when I absolutely have to :P
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)
     
My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

User avatar
SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: 不滅の神天皇の名の下に殺しグリーン大群の真ん中に!
Contact:

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#6 Post by SirSlaughter »

I wholeheartedly agree that an SSD is a must. Especially since SSDs are cheap enough that you can pick up at least a 120GB for a fair price if not a 250GB thanks to NVME technology and M.2 SSDs being the bleeding edge of tech therefore lowering the price of lower end Sata 3 SSDs. So you can get a Sata3 SSD for a real good price. And trust me, the SSD isn't only for boot times.

The entire rig will be faster and snappier. As for the 950 to 970 jump, the thing to always do with the GPU is to get the best one you can afford at the time and wait it out a bit until you can get the latest tech some time down the line. But then again, if you save up you can pick yourself up a nice 1080 for that great price and have 2 times the performance of a titan.

I don't know when or how, but I know I am gonna go for that 1080 to compliment my i7 5960X.

User avatar
TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 6274
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: https://goo.gl/7ARWF4
Favorite Character: Kat

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#7 Post by TinyVoices »

SirSlaughter wrote:I don't know when or how, but I know I am gonna go for that 1080 to compliment my i7 5960X.
I'm thinking of 1070 for my 6700k. But midnight has like, $200 max to spend on graphics, so stop pushing $600-700 cards on him.


Midnight, as you saw in my PM, you can get an SSD for the price of a high capacity HDD. But if you already have one, then whatever. I'm not a tech wizard at all (Science of maybe 20 here...) but make sure your stuff is compatible. Only certain CPUs with certain mobos, and then RAM has to go with mobo, and the graphics card has to be able to fit in your case. Stuff like that. If the last bit of money to spend is on graphics, then just buy something that'll meet your budget...


I went in to my rig design with about $800 to spend, am going to end up spending $950 after I get my graphics, and it would have been about $1600 had I actually not gotten the deals that I had gotten... But my graphics is obviously what is mainly pushing me overboard, and that's the last thing I personally need to get.

User avatar
Vintage
Certified Fool
Posts: 1212
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 3:32 pm
Location: Planet Zambodia
Favorite Character: Natani

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#8 Post by Vintage »

SirSlaughter wrote:I wholeheartedly agree that an SSD is a must. Especially since SSDs are cheap enough that you can pick up at least a 120GB for a fair price if not a 250GB thanks to NVME technology and M.2 SSDs being the bleeding edge of tech therefore lowering the price of lower end Sata 3 SSDs. So you can get a Sata3 SSD for a real good price. And trust me, the SSD isn't only for boot times.
Exactly. This way you can put your OS on the SSD and other large files (like games) on the HDD.
TinyVoices wrote:I'm thinking of 1070 for my 6700k. But midnight has like, $200 max to spend on graphics, so stop pushing $600-700 cards on him.
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that as well. Given the budget range the best Midnight is probably going to do is what he's already selected. I believe my 980 Ti was something like $600, with the new 1080 being around the same price, so those are kinda out of the question. The reason I splurged on the graphics card is because I'm planning to use the computer for a long time.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

User avatar
SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: 不滅の神天皇の名の下に殺しグリーン大群の真ん中に!
Contact:

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#9 Post by SirSlaughter »

TinyVoices wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:I don't know when or how, but I know I am gonna go for that 1080 to compliment my i7 5960X.
I'm thinking of 1070 for my 6700k. But midnight has like, $200 max to spend on graphics, so stop pushing $600-700 cards on him.
SirSlaughter wrote: As for the 950 to 970 jump, the thing to always do with the GPU is to get the best one you can afford at the time and wait it out a bit until you can get the latest tech some time down the line.
I said he could save. I didn't say to go with it 100%. I also said to go with the one you can afford at the time. So if the 950 is indeed the one he can afford, then go for the 950.

User avatar
amenon
Grand Templar
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#10 Post by amenon »

TheWMM wrote:Exactly. This way you can put your OS on the SSD and other large files (like games) on the HDD.
Games on the SSD as well, as long as they'll fit :P (And when they stop fitting, uninstall something you don't need at the moment!)
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)
     
My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

User avatar
SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: 不滅の神天皇の名の下に殺しグリーン大群の真ん中に!
Contact:

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#11 Post by SirSlaughter »

Hey now that the new AMD graphics cards have been unveiled and shown off with that sweet pricing point, it looks like you may be able to get that sweet 980 equal performance at an extremely reduced price with cards starting out at $200.

I would definitely say to wait it out for that card because it will stomp the 950 and at only around $20-$40 more.

User avatar
midnightblink
Council Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 7:03 am
Location: Troutdale Oregon

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#12 Post by midnightblink »

SirSlaughter wrote:Hey now that the new AMD graphics cards have been unveiled and shown off with that sweet pricing point, it looks like you may be able to get that sweet 980 equal performance at an extremely reduced price with cards starting out at $200.

I would definitely say to wait it out for that card because it will stomp the 950 and at only around $20-$40 more.
Unfortunately, I don't have much time to wait, because I have a friend that I want to help me build it (because he's done it before, and I have not), and he's moving to Europe pretty soon, so I'm just going to get the 950, and maybe in a years time, I'll feel the need to upgrade, but for right now, the 950 is more than enough for what I want it for (even being able to play games at medium quality is a step up from what I have now)

I'm probably going to be buying everything this weekend (including a Kingston 120GB SSD hard drive and a WB 1TB HDD)
Image
Primum Non Nocere

User avatar
Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Posts: 3865
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:37 am
Location: Somewhere, I'm sure.
Favorite Character: Raine

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#13 Post by Lief »

If you can't wait, get a 960 instead! They're pretty much all around $200 now. At least on Newegg they are, I don't really look on Amazon for computer parts.

User avatar
TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 6274
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: https://goo.gl/7ARWF4
Favorite Character: Kat

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#14 Post by TinyVoices »

Lief wrote:If you can't wait, get a 960 instead! They're pretty much all around $200 now. At least on Newegg they are, I don't really look on Amazon for computer parts.
I did most of my parts from Amazon, but it was moreso because I could Prime order stuff for free, quick shipping.

User avatar
Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Posts: 3865
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:37 am
Location: Somewhere, I'm sure.
Favorite Character: Raine

Re: Midnight's New Setup

#15 Post by Lief »

Yeah, that's pretty good incentive.

Post Reply