Wireless Headset Shopping

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

Wireless Headset Shopping

#1 Post by Lief »

I'm in the market for a new headset and decided to go the wireless route this time around. Problem is, I have no idea which ones are good and sometimes just reading the reviews isn't enough. So I figured I'd ask for suggestions from you guys, assuming any of you have wireless headsets or experience with them.

All I really know for sure is I want good sound quality, a pretty decent mic, and that I have a budget of $265 USD. :roll:

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Wireless Headset Shopping

#2 Post by SirSlaughter »

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#3 Post by Vintage »

I've been looking for a new pair as well, oddly enough. The ones I've been using for more two years are the Logitech G930 headset. At this point a lot of the padding cover is gone, and I accidentally somehow snapped the mic in two, but electrical tape fixed that fairly well. Battery life at full charge is around 8 hours and the headset has 7.1 surround sound built in, which are the big reasons why I bought it in the first place. Had some connectivity problems early on, along with the left ear occasionally going out, but eventually those problems went away somehow. The headset's also just a little wider than I would've liked, but they were much better than the ones I was using before.

-Edit

Was doing a little more research, and Logitech apparently made a sequel of sorts to the G930 - the G933. A little flashy for me, but I might be getting these in the future.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#4 Post by Lief »

SirSlaughter wrote:What a coincidence
Hardly a coincidence my good sir. I based my budget on those since I was considering getting them- But the reviews are conflicting and if I'm going to spend almost $300 on a headset I'd like it to last more than a year. EDIT: Also holy [censored] so many complaints about Steelseries' support. Many of the /good/ reviews were complaining about the support, even!

Looked into the G930s and G933 too, but I saw a lot of issues with their connectivity being brought up in reviews. Most of that was fixed through the software, though, to my knowledge, so they're definitely good options now.

EDIT: I've now purchased the G933s from Amazon for a handy $40 off Logitech's MSRP. They'll be here Wednesday.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by SirSlaughter »

You'll have to report back on that headset when you get it. I'm looking to get a new headset in the future someday. I made the mistake of getting Astro A50s about a year and a half ago but only because they were $50 off with another $50 gift card added to it. Employee discounts and black friday deals help.

I mean these astros are pretty awesome for the fact tha I got $100 off of them more or less and they have held together for far more than a year.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#6 Post by Lief »

UPDATE: The G933s are fantastic! Dunno about battery life yet since I basically never have a 12-hour uninterrupted timeframe with which to use them for, but so far so good regardless.

Sound quality is great, the virtual 7.1 is good stuff. Can make voices and such sound a bit odd, as well as certain noises (Such as Skype's bloops), but is overall really nice. They still sound good even without the 7.1 enabled, though.

Mic quality is also great! Everyone I've talked to says I sound a lot better than I did with my old headset, and a couple listen tests have told me that yes, I sound pretty good. A good desk mic like the Blue Snowball can beat it, obviously, but for a mic on a wireless headset it's fantastic.

Can't really say much as to its range since I live in an old house with thick walls and small rooms, so it doesn't take much for it to cut out. In an open space or a newer house with thin walls it's probably got pretty good range.

Really easy to setup, practically plug and play if you have the drivers installed ahead of time.

Other than that... I dunno, any questions?

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#7 Post by Envy661 »

I'm always gonna recommend Sennheiser for quality. I have the 350 special edition (wired) but I'm sure you can find a solid wireless set from them.

My headset cost ~$150 and is easily of higher quality than $300 Astros or Turtle Beaches. It's even better than Logiteck. Sennheiser is a company known for sound equipment like this.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!