DJ Discussion

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

musicgeek
Apprentice

Re: DJ Discussion

#1 Post by musicgeek »

My father is an amateur DJ, he's been doing it on and off since the 80s, mostly spinning house, techno and trance on vinyl. A few years ago, I recorded a few of his mixes that he usually just does off the top of his head, mind if I post them here? It'd be nice to get some critiques of his mixing style and music selection, as well as just getting his mixes out there.
oh god what do i put here

musicgeek
Apprentice

#2 Post by musicgeek »

schradieck wrote:
musicgeek wrote:My father is an amateur DJ, he's been doing it on and off since the 80s, mostly spinning house, techno and trance on vinyl. A few years ago, I recorded a few of his mixes that he usually just does off the top of his head, mind if I post them here? It'd be nice to get some critiques of his mixing style and music selection, as well as just getting his mixes out there.
Go right ahead, I'd love to hear them
Thanks!

We were pretty pleased with how this one went.

musicgeek
Apprentice

#3 Post by musicgeek »

schradieck wrote:I really am enjoying it.
Glad to hear it, I'll have to dig and find some more of the files and upload them ^^

Anyways, what music do you normally play and mix? Myself, coming from a background listening to a lot of older house, techno and trance, I've just gone from there and branched out to other related genres and subgenres like electro, deep house, bass house and modern trance music, but I do like a lot of stuff further afield like dubstep, drum and bass, nu disco, hardcore, hardstyle and EDM in general. I'm yet to actually try my hand at Djing, but its something I've always been interested in. You could say it's in my blood :P

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#4 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

I'm not really a DJ; I do mess around with music making software, and have "released" one song, but now I think it's not that great (not bad, but not great). I do know how to make a good Hardstyle kick though. Just can't seem to make anything that would make a good melody sound.

I use Mixcraft 6 and FL Sudio 12. Both trial versions though.

Really I'm just an amateur at the moment.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#5 Post by Tygron »

I DJ, used to use an American Audio VMS 4.1 and VDJ 7. Gonna say steer clear of American Audio products. This thing was GARBAGE. And don't get me started on VDJ.

Now I have a Pioneer XDJ-RX, and i'm really happy with it.

You can find my mixes (though I need to upload more. I've been doing a livestream every Friday at 10 PM EST for two hours for the past year or so) i'm just too lazy to edit the video and audio together. And also because I don't have any video editing software and i'm boycotting Movie Maker because obvious.
Check out my Facebook page for links if anyone wants to tune in on Fridays. I'll also be posting music I make there at some point.
https://www.facebook.com/Tygron-160146557361820/

And for music i've made in the past and hopefully in the near future, http://www.soundclick.com/tygron

Shameless plugging all my stuff lol

I am working on getting my SoundCloud in order and getting new music made. I've been out of it for a while now, and i'm trying to start again. Gonna be focusing on Hardstyle this time around, but that doesn't mean i'm going to only make Hardstyle.

I know this post is probably a mess, was just quickly jotting every thing down. Not really in the mindset to do a quick autobiography sort of thing right now. (As in no, I don't normally type like I did ten years ago i'm just being really really lazy right now.)

EDIT: Forgot the youtube channel link for my mixes.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

Tygron
Notakitty!

#6 Post by Tygron »

FL Studio is what I use, though i'm considering giving some others a shot. It's easy to use but i'm starting to hate the workflow I once loved. I think some of the others contain the plugins to be more "shown as you need them" vs all over the place like FL Studio does. I'm working on optimizing that workflow for me but eh... it's starting to become too daunting. And that's saying something because I used to make stuff on a 1366x768 laptop screen. I have two 1920x1080 screens and a 1366x768 screen. I spread everything out over the three of them and it still feels like not enough. So I dunno. Lots to learn, lots to brush up on.

Keep in mind there's only a couple songs I made that I consider good, Purity Comes and Goes and By the Tail are others. Not sure if Anger Management is on there but you can find that by clicking my sig. Everything else is a little meh in my opinion. But it's also been about four years now.

EDIT: Added youtube link in above post I forgot about. I've also come a LONG way from what you see in the videos. I have some ok moments, but I have a lot of better moments in newer videos that I haven't edited yet. And since the beginning of the year I haven't had video with it because my setup has drastically changed. Before the controller was in front of me at the computer, now it's on the other side of the room on a dresser. Yay for built in screens hehe.
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

musicgeek
Apprentice

#7 Post by musicgeek »

Do you have a moment to hear about our lord and savior, Gammer?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jiX3oeh_0A[/video]

Tygron
Notakitty!

#8 Post by Tygron »

Love Gammer, and Cotts and Ravine. I've picked up some techniques from them lol.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#9 Post by Tygron »

Interesting hehe. Welcome to music making lol. Bunch of interesting tidbits in there.