Adding music to Itunes Library from PC

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Adding music to Itunes Library from PC

#1 Post by TinyVoices »

Aight, I'm thoroughly pissed at this and Google isn't bringing up what I want, so.....

Everytime I want to add music from my PC to my itunes library, I forget how I managed to do it the last time I managed to do it. But I know I struggle each time, so making this thread and getting it answered might actually help me for years to come.

I am trying to add mp3 files. If it's a simple fix as trying to use a specific type of format, ok. But it looks like all of my current music that Itunes is acknowledging, is in mp3 format.

I use windows 7. As far as the apple program says, I'm all up to date.

• The "Add File to Library" menu option does work
    If I try to add a regular folder with music in it, it simply opens the folder. Nothing more.
    If I try to add a zip folder, nothing happens. The selection window just closes like everything is A-ok, but it doesn't actually add the music.
    If I try to add a selection of .mp3 files, nothing happens. Same as above.
    If I try to add a single song, nothing happens; same.
  • Dragging files and songs to the Itunes window does not work
    Pretty self explanatory. I drag [censored] over, it doesn't do anything.
  • Adding files to where Itunes keeps music within my library, on my PC, does not work
    It's like it's mocking me here.

Those are the 3 options that the Apple help place offers, and everything else on Google seems to be about adding music from Itunes to Ipod, or something else. But none of that is my issue here. >_>

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: Adding music to Itunes Library from PC

#2 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

TinyVoices wrote: The "Add File to Library" menu option does work
If I try to add a selection of .mp3 files, nothing happens.
That should work, it may take a wile for ITunes to collect all the meta data, but I do it all the time, That's how I got the SanctuaryRPG soundtrack in a coupe days ago.

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#3 Post by Vintage »

Something that I've had to do in the past is change the default application for the audio file you're trying to add to iTunes, then open the file. It should hopefully show up in the library once you start playing it.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by TinyVoices »

DarkTheImmortal wrote:That should work, it may take a wile for ITunes to collect all the meta data, but I do it all the time, That's how I got the SanctuaryRPG soundtrack in a coupe days ago.
I'll see if waiting 10 minutes does anything the next time I try it.
TheWMM wrote:Something that I've had to do in the past is change the default application for the audio file you're trying to add to iTunes, then open the file. It should hopefully show up in the library once you start playing it.
Sounds janky enough to work. Or at least try. :P

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#5 Post by Bellhead »

TinyVoices wrote:
TheWMM wrote:Something that I've had to do in the past is change the default application for the audio file you're trying to add to iTunes, then open the file. It should hopefully show up in the library once you start playing it.
Sounds janky enough to work. Or at least try. :P
If that's the case and you're using Windows, you should be able to just right-click and open with iTunes.

Not sure about Apple stuff, but Media Player has this setting where you can tell it to automatically add any music that it plays. Does Apple have anything like that buried in the settings somewhere?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#6 Post by Myperson54 »

When you add music to iTunes, ensure that it's your default music player first. Then, drag and drop in your music, and when it's finished importing, there should be a button in the... File? Menu, I think, which says "consolidate files". That copies all your music to the iTunes/media/library folder.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by TinyVoices »

Okie then, I'll run with these steps from now on, then:

1. Place desired songs within a folder named by their album, within an album named by their artist
2. Change the right-click property details to show Artist, Album, and Track # for each song
3. Make a copy of this folder...
4. Place folder into the iTunes folder (Likely path is- Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music)
5. In the iTunes window, top left corner of the ribbon --> "Add File to Library"
6. Navigate to the songs within the album folder within the artist folder within the iTunes Music folder.
7. Select all of the songs for that single album
8. Should be good, unless iTunes is silly and either messes up the artist/album and calls them "Unknown" within the "All Artists" list, or iTunes just explodes the album randomly into multiple different ones. >.>
9. Repeat for other albums.

I hate the UI for iTunes. Very counter-intuitive and really middle finger like to the customers. I remember when it was ok, but now each new update makes me cringe even harder.

I think that answers my question, then.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by TinyVoices »

I'm not really in to DJ or remixing tunes.

I use itunes because of my experience with relying on just cloud to give you your music (so that's why I don't just use any form of cloud storage method). And also because I use an ipod to play music while in my car. The radio stations here get boring, so I kinda need to be able to get around Apple's [censored] in order to enjoy my tunes.

So the software on my PC is just a middleman, really. Normally if I listen to music while on my PC, I'll just use Youtube.

xboxgamer969
Citizen

#9 Post by xboxgamer969 »

ok open iTunes, go to playlists, create a new playlist, drag songs from folder into playlist and it should work, if not then I have no idea why its not letting you :/
also in the playlists on the top right there's a drop down menu with playlist, songs, albums, artists, etc. Well click on Songs for a better organization for playlists cause I don't like the new styling personally.
I use iTunes mostly for all my listening needs, if I need to make music mixes I use MixMeister :)

here's some mixes I've made I guess: http://www.mixcrate.com/xboxgamer969/dj_mixes
its also nice to see another DJ in these forums :)