so... my laptop's ability is slow start...

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

prototype99
Master

so... my laptop's ability is slow start...

#1 Post by prototype99 »

so basically i got a new laptop recently, to be exact the asus x550ze. after a small while it decided it would be annoying and be reluctant to start. before i mention anything else because it adds some context it's basically all amd parts, and it runs windows 8.1. when i switch it on it boots to windows alright, but during the loading screen it will freeze and it will stop accessing the hard drive. this means i have to force reboot. i usually have to reboot a maximum of aroind 10 times for it to properly load windows. sometimes it will pause up to 15 minutes on a black screen nefore showing the login screen. upon inspection i sometimes find file system errors upon a successful boot. i read it could be to do with hard drive or battery, opinions? i can give more info on the device if needed ;)
stop! look at these cute emotes! :flora: :kathrin: :natani: :nora: okay you may continue!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: so... my laptop's ability is slow start...

#2 Post by Bellhead »

I had a similar issue with my Gateway desktop..
On that, it was hardware, and the same drive worked in a different machine. Have you tried booting to a CD or external drive?

One thing: if it doesn't happen with the charger plugged in, it's probably not the battery.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by RobbieThe1st »

When it stops accessing the harddrive is the HD totally silent or do you hear any clicking noises? Like a "click-click, click-click, click-click, click-click-click-click-click" noise?

I'm thinking it's harddrive related at this point.

prototype99
Master

#4 Post by prototype99 »

i haven't checked actually but the hard drive's light goes dead so probably not, i read somewhere that it could be the laptop struggles to supply the initial power to get the hard drive disc spinning, would a solid state help? i'm taking it for repair at pcworld currys (i'm don't think it exists outside of uk, but they're big here.) i'm scared because they have quite the bad reputation for repairs... it wasn't my choice to take it for repair before you ask, i'd never do that to my babez deliberately
stop! look at these cute emotes! :flora: :kathrin: :natani: :nora: okay you may continue!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by Bellhead »

Let's see here... When you boot it, what EXACTLY do you see?

Normally, I'd assume this should happen:

Hardware loading screen (probably says ASUS, and usually has a loading bar)
OS loading screen (If you're running 8.1, it will just be that stupid pinwheel thing, and /or a Windows logo)
User select screen.

Where does your computer stop working?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

prototype99
Master

#6 Post by prototype99 »

mine is a special case in that it doesn't have a hardware loading screen, just 'stupid pinwheel thing', except they replaced the windows logo with an asus one and the hard ddrive crashes there, so in other words at the os loading screen. so I have to reboot until it gets past there as I said

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#7 Post by puredeathly »

The Logo replacement is a UEFI thing (windows uses the logo provided by the UEFI ROM).
Try booting off external media like an USB drive or a CD (probably some live Linux like Ubuntu or Knoppix) and try accessing the HDD from there (In Ubuntu you can even run a HDD benchmark using the built-in disk manager).
If this also hangs during boot it's something else that failed if it works a few times in a row I would think that your HDD is defective (tried reading the SMART values?).
I had quite a few defective AMD laptops but they all failed during POST because of a self-desoldered CPU and/or chipset because of bad cooling. :mrgrin:

-Jakob

prototype99
Master

#8 Post by prototype99 »

Oh no... That's probably it, my vents breathe fire....

prototype99
Master

#9 Post by prototype99 »

small update for anyone interested, problem was a faulty motherboard and a somewhat damaged windows installation

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by Bellhead »

That'd do it. A faulty motherboard is plenty likely to cause a slow start that intermittantly fails.

prototype99
Master

#11 Post by prototype99 »

oh no, it was the windows, (because when i restored the ststem image that problem returned) but surely the motherboard did not help