Graphics issue

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Graphics issue

#1 Post by Bellhead »

I hope this is where this goes... I've never been to this corner of the forums before.

So here's the deal:
I got a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop with Vista a few years back. It suffered a harddrive failure, but the rest of it was fine.
Later, I was given a Gateway somethin-somethin, which I started using on account of Vista's better than my old XP on the internet. This computer suffered hardware failure, but the drive remained functional.

I proceeded to put the working Gateway HDD into the working Inspiron 530 shell. Much arguing with Windows and inputting access codes and re-installing drivers later, I get a code 12 "not enough resources" error under the graphics tab in the device manager.

Graphics card in use is the Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, and it tells me it has the newest version of the correct driver. I am given 5 resolution options, all 4x3, ranging from 800x600 to 1920x1440, but nothing in any other ratio. Both computers use on-board cards.

Anyone know what to do about that?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: Graphics issue

#2 Post by Myperson54 »

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ta-32-exe-

Assuming you're on a 32-bit system, try installing that driver. If nothing changes, install literally any operating system that's not Windows Vista.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by Bellhead »

Myperson54 wrote:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ta-32-exe-

Assuming you're on a 32-bit system, try installing that driver. If nothing changes, install literally any operating system that's not Windows Vista.
Error:
"System does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.
Setup will exit."

I've tried installing the proper driver. From the original "Drivers and Utilities" disk that came with the computer. What I can't do is tell the OS that it's on a Dell, not a Gateway, and for some reason, I can't uninstall whatever driver is using the resources needed for the proper one.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#4 Post by Myperson54 »

Bellhead wrote:
Myperson54 wrote:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ta-32-exe-

Error:
"System does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.
Setup will exit."

I've tried installing the proper driver. From the original "Drivers and Utilities" disk that came with the computer. What I can't do is tell the OS that it's on a Dell, not a Gateway, and for some reason, I can't uninstall whatever driver is using the resources needed for the proper one.
Huh, that driver should work for your system, though. Weird. Your computer probably came with a Gateway-locked OS, but it shouldn't matter for something like this. The computer should be able to install new drivers regardless of assembler.

As for your last error, that's almost definitely because if you uninstalled the current drivers, you'd have none left to power your display. My first inclination would be to find or borrow an old graphics card, plug it in, and switch to that. From there you could switch out Intel HD graphics drivers without compromising your ability to actually use a display. At that point though, you might as well just use a graphics card on its own. No matter how old, it would be an upgrade on your system.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to update your drivers normally, but try this: Intel has a tool for determining if your drivers are properly updated, and it's better than Windows Update for this kind of thing. Try it out; if it doesn't work, the issue might not be a driver issue.

EDIT: Also, what's the make and model of your monitor?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by Bellhead »

Dell E2311H

And I uh... may have broken it even further. For some reason, it won't boot.. and the automatic system repair crashes back to the boot screen. I'm typing this from an alternate boot, where I was able to install the proper driver and have it work.

Gateway-locked OS sounds about right, then, considering it's working on a fresh install. Weird. I might come back here if I can get it booting again, but until then, thanks.

Also, the only other graphics cards I have are for 98 and older, or won't fit because the slot is the wrong shape.

asphere8
Master

#6 Post by asphere8 »

Dell computers have this nasty tendency to suddenly become extremely unreliable after a few years. If and/or whenever you get a new computer, try to avoid Dell. It's often better (not to mention cheaper) to just order individual parts and assemble the computer yourself.
You may want to try re-formatting any/all hard drives you have, and nuking everything on them. It's a last-resort option, though.
Sometimes, I wish I could art.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by Bellhead »

asphere8 wrote:Dell computers have this nasty tendency to suddenly become extremely unreliable after a few years. If and/or whenever you get a new computer, try to avoid Dell. It's often better (not to mention cheaper) to just order individual parts and assemble the computer yourself.
You may want to try re-formatting any/all hard drives you have, and nuking everything on them. It's a last-resort option, though.
With all due respect, I disagree. I have a Dimension 8250, last installed almost a decade ago with XP service pack 3. Best computer I've ever had. Fastest, too, it's just not connected to the internet.

asphere8
Master

#8 Post by asphere8 »

The second option still stands. If you have a Windows install disk and can't find any other possible solutions, reformatting the hard drive or resetting to factory default is a last resort, but can fix many issues.
Sometimes, I wish I could art.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#9 Post by Myperson54 »

Bellhead wrote:
asphere8 wrote:Dell computers have this nasty tendency to suddenly become extremely unreliable after a few years. If and/or whenever you get a new computer, try to avoid Dell. It's often better (not to mention cheaper) to just order individual parts and assemble the computer yourself.
With all due respect, I disagree. I have a Dimension 8250, last installed almost a decade ago with XP service pack 3. Best computer I've ever had. Fastest, too, it's just not connected to the internet.
It's the "decade" part that makes the difference. Dell used to be alright - I had a Dimension and it never broke. Dell now is terrible, but it isn't the reason for this problem. (Plus, its monitors are just monitors and the chipset is just a chipset. Like I mentioned before, company shouldn't be an issue here.)

I realize I should've asked this first, but is your monitor connected via a VGA or DVI adapter? It's a deceptively simple question; I wouldn't normally ask, but your hardware is older than most of the stuff I have lying around.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#10 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Bellhead wrote:
I can only agree with asphere; my computer, the one that was repeatedly borked, is a Dell XPS M170 from around 2008. Not only is it the slowest computer I've ever touched, it had a nasty habit of repeatedly corrupting Windows 7, XP, and Vista. It's essentially unusable, which is why I'm getting a 2011 or so Toshiba(more on this in the smile thread).

This, along with many other bad experiences with Dell, have led to me vowing to avoid them as much as possible(except in the case of an Alienware, which I would really like).
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Bellhead »

Okay.. stuff happened.

As I said, I thought I broke it, but for some reason, it wouldn't boot without AtiPcie.sys in the right place... Fixed that, boots now.

I have two dual-output graphics cards, each with VGA and DVI out. One is in my Dimension, which goes VGA to its own monitor and DVI to another. It shares that monitor with the Inspiron, which is connected via VGA. I'd put the other card in, but I'm about 80% sure it wouldn't fit, and I've lost track of it.

So in simpler terms, the Inspiron is using its on-board graphics card, which only has HDMI and VGA out, so it's on VGA.

Though even after the missing file fiasco, it still says it can't find enough resources to use the proper driver. The other OS, which I used to post earlier, used it just fine. I managed to record the resource locations it was using, but I don't know where to go from there.

According to Windows (64-bit, by the way), I have the newest driver available for my hardware, on all usable OS's right now.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#12 Post by Myperson54 »

InceptionBwaaa wrote:(except in the case of an Alienware, which I would really like).
You must be pulling my leg. Why would you buy a computer from a company you hate at a price point almost 1.5-2 times what it should be? Just build your own from separate components; it's literally easier than building Ikea furniture and it costs so much less, especially in the US.

Sadly I'm having some serious trouble trying to find a duplicate of your problem, Bellhead. I'd blame it on windows Vista being garbage and breaking on you randomly, to be honest. If you have the Intel Graphics Control Panel (Or if you can install it) you might be able to force a new resolution and save it to a new profile.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by Bellhead »

Myperson54 wrote:Sadly I'm having some serious trouble trying to find a duplicate of your problem, Bellhead. I'd blame it on windows Vista being garbage and breaking on you randomly, to be honest. If you have the Intel Graphics Control Panel (Or if you can install it) you might be able to force a new resolution and save it to a new profile.
I have one last thing I can try. My father works with this guy who's supposedly really good with computers. Like, really good. Tomorrow I'll have my father bring this in, and see if the guy can't make it work.

I agree, Vista is Crap. I've never seen a scenario where I couldn't install the correct driver over what was already there. It's as if the OS is preventing itself from working properly.. Anyway, this may very well be my last post for the next few days, until I get this thing back, so.. yeah. When I don't say anything for a while, that's why.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#14 Post by Myperson54 »

Bellhead wrote:
Myperson54 wrote:Sadly I'm having some serious trouble trying to find a duplicate of your problem, Bellhead. I'd blame it on windows Vista being garbage and breaking on you randomly, to be honest. If you have the Intel Graphics Control Panel (Or if you can install it) you might be able to force a new resolution and save it to a new profile.
I have one last thing I can try. My father works with this guy who's supposedly really good with computers. Like, really good. Tomorrow I'll have my father bring this in, and see if the guy can't make it work.

I agree, Vista is Crap. I've never seen a scenario where I couldn't install the correct driver over what was already there. It's as if the OS is preventing itself from working properly.. Anyway, this may very well be my last post for the next few days, until I get this thing back, so.. yeah. When I don't say anything for a while, that's why.
Wait, you use Vista but don't like it? Then why use it? Go get a copy of 7 or 8.1 for goodness' sake - You can keep all your documents intact when you upgrade anyhow, and your computer will probably run faster.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15 Post by Bellhead »

Myperson54 wrote:Wait, you use Vista but don't like it? Then why use it? Go get a copy of 7 or 8.1 for goodness' sake - You can keep all your documents intact when you upgrade anyhow, and your computer will probably run faster.
So far, every other newer system I've tried has been more confusing and more difficult. I used XP for years. Then we got Vista, obvious outcome. Then I tried 7, 'cause that's what my college uses. Nothing's in the right place, and I hate the way Windows Explorer (Not talking about the internet) displays files and folders and such. A friend has 8.1, and I ended up using that. It was even less coopertive.

The way I see it, I've been stuck with Vista long enough to know how to use it, so I might as well stick with it until 10 comes out, and try that. What's another year or two?

Back on topic, I got the machine back from my father. He brought it to work, and had a friend look into it. He fixed then SM BUS controller driver issue (which didn't really bother me, but it gave a splat in the device manager), but couldn't do anything with the graphics thing. He thought it might be a BIOS thing, but I installed the same OS on a different partition and it works like it's supposed to, so I dunno. He mentioned newer BIOS versions, and listed them, so I should look into that, but until then, I'm stuck in 1280x1024. Lucky this monitor has a function for switching to 4x3 mode for that input.