Graphics issue

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: Graphics issue

#16 Post by Myperson54 »

That's a really weird error. As for your OS preference, I'm not confident you've really given each new OS a chance - I'm most comfortable with Windows 7 myself, but I use 8.1 for the performance boost, plus the modern features and up-to-date support. I personally find that the benefits far outweigh the annoyance of having to learn a new system. (Which isn't even new - it's just an extension of the old system.) The added complexity comes naturally with added functionality.

Besides, you can change settings, customize themes, install a new shell, get Rainmeter, etc. All to help maximize your ability to use your computer. Hell, if you look at my screenshots in the wallpaper thread, you can see how little like Windows my computer even looks. That's the power of Google right there.

Holding on to the familiar is fine - e.g. I've been perfectly comfortable with the look and feel of OSX for basically all my life, and I wouldn't want it to change. - However, clinging to obsolete technology because you don't want to get used to something new seems rather self-destructive to me. Not saying that as a judgement, but rather as an observation. Windows 10 is likely to be more like 8.1 and 7 combined than anything else - don't expect it to be like XP at all. If I were you, I'd embrace what I can, and for the rest, either force it to be more familiar or use Google for help. It took me about 3 months to properly understand 8.1, and even now I'm still learning things about it. I see it as an opportunity to expand my knowledge, not one to block out.

Anyways, that was my mini-rant. Not trying to insult, just wanted to express my thoughts on the matter. I don't know how long you've spent with each of the new OSes already, but I think you should give them another shot. You'll have significantly fewer hardware issues, trust me.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#17 Post by Bellhead »

I can easily see your point of view, and I understand that the longer I hold out, the harder it would be to switch. From what I've seen, 7 looks like the best for me, unless 8.1 is better than my one experience showed me (which is entirely possible).

I will add one thing, though: My hardware problems started the day I started using Vista. My old Dimension 8250 still works like new, boots in 30 seconds flat, and runs everything I've ever put on it. Of course, as outdated as tech guys keep telling me it is, it's seen its last webpage. Faster-than-the-eye frams per second on Quake 3 and 4, NFS 3-6, and FEAR 1-3 isn't bad at all. I only even continue to tolerate anything newer because I read Twokinds. That's pretty much it.

For those of you that know me and my tech history, you'll know this is a big step, but here goes:
I will try to install Windows 7 on a blank partition of my secondary drive. I'll try it. I have two HDD's installed: the original Gateway, and a terabyte drive with two 10 GB partitions and the rest split in two more. Would 10 GB be enough to install 7, or is it too big?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#18 Post by DariusL »

Bellhead wrote:I can easily see your point of view, and I understand that the longer I hold out, the harder it would be to switch. From what I've seen, 7 looks like the best for me, unless 8.1 is better than my one experience showed me (which is entirely possible).

I will add one thing, though: My hardware problems started the day I started using Vista. My old Dimension 8250 still works like new, boots in 30 seconds flat, and runs everything I've ever put on it. Of course, as outdated as tech guys keep telling me it is, it's seen its last webpage. Faster-than-the-eye frams per second on Quake 3 and 4, NFS 3-6, and FEAR 1-3 isn't bad at all. I only even continue to tolerate anything newer because I read Twokinds. That's pretty much it.

For those of you that know me and my tech history, you'll know this is a big step, but here goes:
I will try to install Windows 7 on a blank partition of my secondary drive. I'll try it. I have two HDD's installed: the original Gateway, and a terabyte drive with two 10 GB partitions and the rest split in two more. Would 10 GB be enough to install 7, or is it too big?
The 32 bit version is 16Go and the 64 bit version is 20Go. So yeah, it'll be too big for the 10Go partitions.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/wind ... quirements

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#19 Post by Bellhead »

ticoun wrote:The 32 bit version is 16Go and the 64 bit version is 20Go. So yeah, it'll be too big for the 10Go partitions.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/wind ... quirements
Christ. And 95 came on a floppy. Ya know, I tried putting XP on one of those 10 Gb partitions once. The computer rejected the OS pretty hard, but while it worked it was lightning fast and took up less than half of that space. What could possibly need that much memory, anyway?

Welp, good thing I still have one of the 480-somethin' Gb partitions blank. Where can I get Windows 7, for free or close to it? And if not, do I just go buy it at staples or somewhere?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#20 Post by puredeathly »

My win10 installation takes 5GB on the HDD (but I haven't done anything else than installing it and installing updates).
For the graphics issue I would try booting a linux live system (like Xubuntu for a slower system like yours) to check if it's a driver problem (linux has opensource drivers for your card preinstalled).
Windows 10 (should) come at 29th of July and it runs better on older hardware than 7 or 8.

-Jakob

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#21 Post by Bellhead »

puredeathly wrote:My win10 installation takes 5GB on the HDD (but I haven't done anything else than installing it and installing updates).
For the graphics issue I would try booting a linux live system (like Xubuntu for a slower system like yours) to check if it's a driver problem (linux has opensource drivers for your card preinstalled).
Windows 10 (should) come at 29th of July and it runs better on older hardware than 7 or 8.

-Jakob
A new OS that works better with old harware? AND uses less memory? You're joking, right?

Also, I've tried installing the OS on a blank partition, with the driver that came with the original "Drivers and Utilities" disk that came with the computer, and it works perfectly fine. Different HDD, but same OS on the same computer. No errors, no splats, everything optimal.

My father brought it to work again today, with the second HDD, to compare files and some stuff.
Spoiler!
Until then, I have the computer I brought to college: Dimenstion 4400, 1.8 Ghz processor, twin CD, floppy, zip, XP service pack 2 and a tendancy to overheat if I watch Youtube. This will use my 1920x1080 monitor no problem, but it has an external card with very poor performance, so if I watch a video, it lags no matter what. Eh, it's what I had laying around that was internet-ready.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#22 Post by Myperson54 »

Windows 10 is the first Microsoft product I've ever actually anticipated - it's coming with a lot of optimizations and compatibility upgrades that I think you'll like.

And thanks for reacting well, by the way. I realize that I probably sounded annoyed or tactless in my mini-rant, since I wrote it hastily at 1 in the morning without proofreading. If you ever need assistance with your Win7, shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

As for getting a copy of Windows 7... If you don't already have one: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/commen ... s_a_trial/

This guide should be legal, by the way.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#23 Post by Bellhead »

Myperson54 wrote:http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/commen ... s_a_trial/

This guide should be legal, by the way.
According to that page, and the link in it, Windows is no longer offering Windows 7 downloads.

Is it worth it to just hold out and hope 10 is all I want it to be? It does sound a little too good to be true, if you ask me. :|

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#24 Post by aj »

Since you're a student, check if your university is signed up for dreamspark. Free Microsoft software for students, including windows 7 and 8.

https://www.dreamspark.com/Institution/Access.aspx
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#25 Post by Bellhead »

aj wrote:dreamspark
It does not appear UMass Lowell is signed up for it. Would have been quite the find, though. Thanks for trying.

EDIT:
Roll call. 7 or 8.1? I've been leaning toward 7, but I have no experience with 8.1, or its capabilities. I have a Dell Inspiron 530, if that helps with a descision. Graphics aren't a big issue, as long as I can watch movies.
I have the Dimension 8250 for everything else.

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica

#26 Post by DariusL »

Bellhead wrote:
It does not appear UMass Lowell is signed up for it. Would have been quite the find, though. Thanks for trying.

EDIT:
Roll call. 7 or 8.1? I've been leaning toward 7, but I have no experience with 8.1, or its capabilities. I have a Dell Inspiron 530, if that helps with a descision. Graphics aren't a big issue, as long as I can watch movies.
I'd go for 7 personnally, my best Widows ecperiences have been with this one. I didn't like 8,1 that much when I have had to use it.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#27 Post by Myperson54 »

ticoun wrote:
Bellhead wrote:

EDIT:
I'd go for 7 personnally, my best Widows ecperiences have been with this one. I didn't like 8,1 that much when I have had to use it.
I've been recommending 8.1 to Bellhead elsewhere. Although I liked 7, I much prefer 8.1; It's quick even on older systems, the system search is better, the sound manager actually works, and frankly I haven't had as many problems with 8.1 as I have with 7. It's surprisingly stable, provided you don't try to mess around with it too much. Plus you can disable the start menu if you want. It isn't ideal, but I find that its shortcomings are made up for by its strengths, especially on the hardware Bellhead has.

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#28 Post by puredeathly »

If you can wait till the 29th of July I would go for Win10 cause it has even lower system requirements than 8.1 and it is more like XP/7 because they added the start menu back(and it looks better than 8.1 :flora: ).
The only thing that is a bit confusing is that there are two places for settings now (the settings app for the basic settings and the control panel for the more advanced stuff).

-Jakob

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#29 Post by Bellhead »

So I could either wait it out till the end of July for Windows 10, or acquire a copy of 7 or 8.1 elsewhere.

If I decide to install 7 or 8.1 on one of the spare 20 Gb boot partitions (I misremembered before, appologies), I'd have to choose between them. As of late, I've been leaning toward 8.1, which means I may or may not be coming back here for tech help if and when I manage to get it working.

Now: I've been told that it's possible to upgrade my OS without losing files/programs on the drive, ergo, without a format+reinstall, so one question remains: If I were to wait it out and go for 10, can I just install it over what's already there? Is that a thing that can be done?

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica

#30 Post by DariusL »

Bellhead wrote:So I could either wait it out till the end of July for Windows 10, or acquire a copy of 7 or 8.1 elsewhere.

If I decide to install 7 or 8.1 on one of the spare 20 Gb boot partitions (I misremembered before, appologies), I'd have to choose between them. As of late, I've been leaning toward 8.1, which means I may or may not be coming back here for tech help if and when I manage to get it working.

Now: I've been told that it's possible to upgrade my OS without losing files/programs on the drive, ergo, without a format+reinstall, so one question remains: If I were to wait it out and go for 10, can I just install it over what's already there? Is that a thing that can be done?
I know that's how upgrading OSX works, but I can't tell for Windows. Last time I used a WIndows machine, it was to wipe its drive and install Linux Mint on it.