Graphics issue

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: Graphics issue

#31 Post by Myperson54 »

ticoun wrote:
Bellhead wrote:So I could either wait it out till the end of July for Windows 10, or acquire a copy of 7 or 8.1 elsewhere.

If I decide to install 7 or 8.1 on one of the spare 20 Gb boot partitions (I misremembered before, appologies), I'd have to choose between them. As of late, I've been leaning toward 8.1, which means I may or may not be coming back here for tech help if and when I manage to get it working.

Now: I've been told that it's possible to upgrade my OS without losing files/programs on the drive, ergo, without a format+reinstall, so one question remains: If I were to wait it out and go for 10, can I just install it over what's already there? Is that a thing that can be done?
I know that's how upgrading OSX works, but I can't tell for Windows. Last time I used a Windows machine, it was to wipe its drive and install Linux Mint on it.
Yeah, but in all likelihood you've been keeping up with updates. If you'd kept using say, 10.4 Tiger, you wouldn't be able to upgrade to Yosemite without a full reinstall. It's the same issue here: Depending on which partition he overwrites, Bellhead will have varying degrees of success keeping his files.

Bellhead, if you're running Vista, you won't be able to upgrade to Windows 10 or 8.1 and still keep all our documents. If you install 7 or 8.1 and then 10 after that, you will, although I should warn you that in no case will you retain any installed programs. If you get 7, you'll only keep your documents, which you could easily back up onto a USB key or another hard drive partition anyways.

My advice is to take all your documents, saved games, your steam installation, and anything else that's on the partiton you're going to install to, and move it to a USB key or another partition. Then, install overtop your chosen Windows partition and move things back/reinstall them as you see fit.

(One thing I do is keep my Windows installation on a separate disk from everything else - My games and any important documents are on my D drive. This means I can install anything on C and keep my D drive perfectly functional.)

Anything installed on another hard drive will require the right backends to work again after the reinstall, and won't show up as installed, but should work regardless. (e.g. I have Mass Effect installed from another computer so it has no Registry entry, but it works because I have the right directX and .Net and C++ installed.)

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#32 Post by Bellhead »

Let me see what I would actually lose in terms of programs. Gimme a sec.

Okay.. I feel a little stupid for this..

The only programs I use on this machine are VLC, HexChat, Firefox. Oh, and uTorrent, of course. Everything else is just files stored on the desktop.

I just realized I could format this whole drive without major issue. New best option. Move what needs to be to the working Vista partition, wait for 10. And pester my father for a valid copy. It's a shame we can't do anything about the graphics on this install, but hey. It's Vista, and it boots. What more could I ask of it...

Alright. I'm in the midst of.. acquiring 8.1. I'll install it on a blank partition and see where it goes from there, and move all irreplaceable files to another drive.

Anyone know the file location on Windows where Firefox puts your bookmarks of the top of their head by chance?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

asphere8
Master

#33 Post by asphere8 »

Bellhead wrote:Anyone know the file location on Windows where Firefox puts your bookmarks of the top of their head by chance?
While I don't know the exact file location, I know how to generate a backup file for them.
Open firefox, hit Ctrl + B, and in "Import and Backup," hit "Backup..."
Sometimes, I wish I could art.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#34 Post by Bellhead »

Just tried it: there's no "Import/backup" or anything. Just a list of bookmarks.

By the way, I found it.
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

Somewhere in there. I'll just copy the whole thing. It's not that big anyway.

Latest on the 8.1 install: Waiting on a writable DVD to put the ISO file on. All I have is CD's, and I need 3.6 GB of space.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#35 Post by Myperson54 »

Bellhead wrote:Just tried it: there's no "Import/backup" or anything. Just a list of bookmarks.

By the way, I found it.
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

Somewhere in there. I'll just copy the whole thing. It's not that big anyway.

Latest on the 8.1 install: Waiting on a writable DVD to put the ISO file on. All I have is CD's, and I need 3.6 GB of space.
You can also use a tool like Rufus to create a bootable USB key. That's what I use when I don't have a CD or cd drive.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#36 Post by Bellhead »

Myperson54 wrote:You can also use a tool like Rufus to create a bootable USB key. That's what I use when I don't have a CD or cd drive.
I remember somebody mentioning that earlier. Bootable USB might be nice, if I can find one that will hold that much. My usual USB stick is 1 GB, so I might have to borrow one.. or do a little digging in the spare computer parts box.

Aaaand found one. I'll look into this tomorrow later today. By the Masks, when did it get so late? It's quarter past midnight. I swear it was 10 the last time I looked at a clock, and I haven't been doing anything. Time flies like a hawk.

EDIT:
Got the ISO into a bootable medium, a blank DVD that we wrote to using Nero and an external DVD RW drive. Successfully booted to disk, installation requires a product key that I don't have.

Current plan: screw it, waiting for 10. Till then, I have the luxury of using the working Vista partition. Can't believe I didn't come up with THAT solution before... Thanks to those who reminded me to check for how many programs I actually have installed on here, because there's nothing irreplaceable.

EDIT 6/6/15:
Windows 8.1 "officially" installed. it boots, and gives me tiles. It boots slower than anything else. It changed my screen aspect ratio and resolution on its own, and wanted to send my browsing history to Microsoft. I have a LOT of settings to change, and a LOT of headaches to aspirin. But that shall be for another time, I have somewhere to be tomorrow. Err, today. .. and it just underlined half a word that it thought I misspelled. Wonderful.

Back in a week or so, once I get back to this PC. Till then, Thanks MyPerson for your.. very helpful information regarding the installation of 8.1. I shall hope this does the four things I need it to do.