Build Question

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Build Question

#16 Post by SirSlaughter »

alex3192 wrote: But hey, if you can press a button and have it overclock without necessarily touching the BIOS, you can undo it, right?

Right? :?
Yes. Like I said, if you have a proper Motherboard then it should have a Cmos Flash button on it.
And I see what you meant with the AMD boards all having the abilities to overclock. like I said earlier. I don't deal with too many AMD buids. I suppose I should start building more as they are cheaper to make and I can make sell more of those as cheaper entry level systems.

Then again, I don't know if they have a CMOS clear option. If not...then be careful I suppose? Or just take out the CMOS battery and put it back in.

One thing you can try top be sure that you are going for a stable clock is seeing what other people have done with similar if not the same specs that you have. For example: The Asus ROG forums has a place where you can download OC profiles to load into your Bios and use other peoples Clocks and apply it to your own rig. So the higher rated ones are the most stable and increase the performance most as that is why people voted it up for in the first place.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#17 Post by avwolf »

SirSlaughter wrote:Then again, I don't know if they have a CMOS clear option. If not...then be careful I suppose? Or just take out the CMOS battery and put it back in.
I've never seen a system that lacks some kind of CMOS clear, if not a button, then a pair of jumpers that you short for a few seconds.

Though personally, I haven't bothered to mess with overclocking in many years, even when just setting it in the BIOS (I tend to run AMD rigs with Gigabyte mobos, have for over a decade, and they've had built-in overclock settings for years. In my experience, mobo settings are stable enough, but they're also not especially aggressive). These days I just don't see enough benefit to it beyond bragging rights.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#18 Post by Tygron »

Honestly you might get just a few more frames a second overclocking so it usually isn't too worth it. Buuuut when I had my CPU and my GPU overclocked my games felt smoother. If it wasn't giving me more frames it was giving me a more stable frame rate or something. Really other than bragging rights it's getting just a bit more free performance out of your parts, and you can't really beat free too much. With his APU it would benefit him enough to overclock it. I mean it might be less than 5 more FPS, but that's >5 more he didn't have.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#19 Post by SirSlaughter »

Actually I have an EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked. SO it already came OC'd out the box. Now I am gonna compare this to the GTX 770 4GB edition from PNY which is also a beefier version of the standard 770.

I triple monitor my rig at home for the time being until I return the screens to my shop (probably tomorrow) and I triple monitored a test system I have. The PNY version did not perform as well as the EVGA version. I could see some framerate issues on Mech Warrior Online with teh test system at the shop. But when I tried it out on my PC at home I was just tearing the game apart. Granted I did end up taking AA down but with the game completely maxed out with the only thing taken down being AA, I haven't had a single issue since then.

So basically my OC card performs insanely good compared to the 4GB 770. I suppose I'm gonna build an Overclockable extreme PC at the shop specifically to break the thing to see how far I can OC without getting unstable.

Also, my Asus ROG board comes with a built in Overclocker as well as some manual stuff I can do by hand on the board itself though I never bothered to do so. I just go to the BIO and go do the Asus EZ mode. From there I just choose the Asus optimized performance setting. All my stuff is currently OC'd I do believce. I honestly never bothered to check but it is perfectly stable and my PC did manage to get these scores a little bit ago:

http://www.3dmark.com/cg/1373149

It seems in the meantime some people have built some more outrageous rigs and have booped me down by about 5% compared to people worldwide. When I first put the card in my system I was in the 97th percentile. But you get the point.

SO I suppose going the OC route is pretty sweet. Just prepare to wear out your parts is all. They can only do it for so long before they can't do it anymore.

alex3192
Templar GrandMaster

#20 Post by alex3192 »

So, I was able to convince the parents to help me get an A-8 6600k. :mrgreen:
Oh, and I figured out why my current computer is so crap at gaming. It has a GeForce 8200m. From 2008.
It has 8 stream processors. Not 128, not 64, 8.

So thats why I have such low fps right now... :roll:
In any case, the parts are ordered and I'M SO EXCITED! It totaled out to only $180.
Massage body:
Enter your massage here, it may contain no less than 60000 kneads.