KickStarter Campaign for Music Fans!

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

TigerWOT
New Citizen

KickStarter Campaign for Music Fans!

#1 Post by TigerWOT »

I have started a campaign on kickstarter for a headphone jack protector. I started it because in the past I have broken many pairs of headphones by accidentally breaking or bending the jack. So in order to prevent I drew out the plans for a Jack Protector which will prevent this from happening. In order to get this started I will contact 3d Printing companies which will print out the parts I need to get started with it. The Jack Protector is a box which goes around your 3,5mm standard jack and part of the wire to make it less flexible in order to prevent pull outs. I will post the link for the kickstarter as soon as companies who will print them out will agree and the plan is in motion. Ill keep up with the news for this project.
Thx for reading and support!
All can fight

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Re: KickStarter Campaign for Music Fans!

#2 Post by Ketzal »

TigerWOT wrote:I have started a campaign on kickstarter for a headphone jack protector. I started it because in the past I have broken many pairs of headphones by accidentally breaking or bending the jack. So in order to prevent I drew out the plans for a Jack Protector which will prevent this from happening. In order to get this started I will contact 3d Printing companies which will print out the parts I need to get started with it. The Jack Protector is a box which goes around your 3,5mm standard jack and part of the wire to make it less flexible in order to prevent pull outs. I will post the link for the kickstarter as soon as companies who will print them out will agree and the plan is in motion. Ill keep up with the news for this project.
Thx for reading and support!
Sounds like it's patent-worthy if you can get it working right.

Unless there's already models of this idea out there >.>

TigerWOT
New Citizen

#3 Post by TigerWOT »

I checked no models or ideas so the campaign will start successfully.
All can fight

Tygron
Notakitty!

#4 Post by Tygron »

Great idea except that there's way too many different things headphones plug into. You're going to run into a lot of compatibility issues. Personally my problems with headphones is when i've curled them up and put them in my pocket for transport. But that was back when I used earbuds, now I pretty much only use over ear headphones. Never had a problem with the cord on that section, usually the casing ends up busting and doesn't hold the speakers anymore before the wire gives out. For me at least.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by RobbieThe1st »

I will point out that it seems like this is only a problem on 'low-end' headphones.
I've got some more expensive ones, and they haven't ever failed this way. Thing is, they've got a rubber support over the first half inch of cable which allows it to bend somewhat, but not too steeply. So it prevents kinks, and provides more support for the wire.
Also, the cable is thick -- a good 1/8" diameter, which gives it protection.

So, the market may only be the low-end/"portable" market.

Of course, it should be cheap enough to mean it could be bought on spec. Or modified easily to fit.

Remember, with 3d printing(see Shapeways), there's no setup costs. So having a hundred+ variations is trivial.

TigerWOT
New Citizen

#6 Post by TigerWOT »

I am 3d printing them and they are partially foam in order to accommodate the earphones.
All can fight