Ad Blocker suggestions needed

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Ad Blocker suggestions needed

#1 Post by FurryForlife »

As the title says,I need an ad blocker. For some reason my computer had gained the inability to block the dozens upon dozens of ads I've seemed to be getting all of a sudden.

I know Ad blockers exist, but I'd like to get a good one. Preferably for free, so I'm coming here to ask
Story: To be Inspired.
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Re: Ad Blocker suggestions needed

#2 Post by DariusL »

Felix Mage wrote:I use Adblock Plus and Disable Anti Adblock in my Firefox and it works perfectly.
Same here. Works like a charm.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by TinyVoices »

I use Chrome and Adblock Plus. But yeah no difference really; no ads anywhere.

Zylver
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Zylver »

Adblock Plus definately :P

However, recently there is a policy of "Acceptable Ads", which means not all the ads will be blocked by the addon :/ And Adblock Plus is not very efficient lately...

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire

#5 Post by FurryForlife »

Much much better. Thank you all.
Story: To be Inspired.
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by RobbieThe1st »

I just use NoScript, with a 'loose' default policy of allowing all "second level base domain" scripts, and I have it set to block flash and other media(replaces with click to play) on *all* sites.

This allows some ads - mainly ones hosted by the site themselves(which is rare), but the scripts and ads that slow down my connection are blocked.
Of course, things that depend on those scripts -- silly "facebook comments" and such -- don't appear, but that's a good thing IMHO. And if I really need something, I can always enable scripts from a particular site on a temporary or perm basis through the right-click menu.

Zylver
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Zylver »

I've finally found the extension that does NOT enable "acceptable ads" policy! :grin: Allow me to present Adblock Edge! Have fun! :P

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
- Anonymus

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Zylver wrote:Have fun!
Congrats, you're part of an initiative to kill content creators. Have fun!

On a more serious note, everything I read talks about "acceptable ads" as a side feature that you can choose to enable... not an obtrusive nuisance that must be eradicated at all costs! For OCD, most like.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by TinyVoices »

EvilNinjadude wrote:Congrats, you're part of an initiative to kill content creators. Have fun!
Oh chill out. :roll:

I gave up on ads because they slow down my browsing speed, shove obnoxious subliminal messages in my face, and in certain cases create an overkill in amount of sound and viruses. Denham’s Dentifrice toothpaste begone.

Turaiel
Administrator

#10 Post by Turaiel »

I wholeheartedly suggest Adblock Plus for everything but Chrome (Adblock is preferred for Chrome).

It is of course true that advertising brings in a fair amount of revenue for content producers. There are certain websites where I'll disable my ad blocker, particularly if I know they won't show harmful or obnoxious ads, or if their content is good enough for me to warrant enabling advertising.

I just wish that there were better ways than heavy, annoying, and distracting banner ads to make revenue on a site. Some websites, though they rely on ad revenue, are ad block friendly... the Twokinds website, for example, displays alternative content in place of the ads (and the layout doesn't break when they disappear). I made sure of that. :P
Website Administrator

Zylver
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Zylver »

TinyVoices wrote:
EvilNinjadude wrote:Congrats, you're part of an initiative to kill content creators. Have fun!
Oh chill out. :roll:

I gave up on ads because they slow down my browsing speed, shove obnoxious subliminal messages in my face, and in certain cases create an overkill in amount of sound and viruses. Denham’s Dentifrice toothpaste begone.
^This! :grin:

Oh, and Ninja: I don't make exceptions between ads, because they are all annoying! Slows down the browser, have sounds that you can't turn off or they are [censored] everywhere on the site, and you simply can't click to a single spot where you won't open up the webpage of the ad! :evil: Ads are basically the commercials of the internet, and I can't stand them both, especially when they are being put in the least acceptable places (e.g. 15 minutes left of a 3 hour long film, and the channel still puts a looooong commercial before the end... great <.<)
And I am not against content creators, I do enjoy and admire good animations and such, if I see them in separated videos on YouTube...

Fire.
- Anonymus

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#12 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Zylver wrote:have sounds that you can't turn off or they are [censored] everywhere on the site, and you simply can't click to a single spot where you won't open up the webpage of the ad!
WTS Banner Blindness
Anyway, what sites do you visit!? This shouldn't be an Issue outside of downloading sites. Which, you know, actually provide a service for YOU.

I'm not going around Doomsaying that the Internet will die the day everyone installs adblock. But that's an only an exaggeration of what I actually think.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#13 Post by Tygron »

If content providers don't want us to block ads then they need to go to their sources for ads and get them to stop being annoying. I miss the days when ads were just there. Not here here here here over your mouse and what you're reading and here and here's 5 that play sounds and follow your mouse and hey look at me.
Billboards on the highway don't jump out in front of your car going "HEY LOOK AT ME OH ALSO CRASH". No they stay put out of the way. And they still work. Shoving an ad in my face is less likely to make me want whatever it is you want me to want and make me hate you more. Make your ad more professional and nice. Make it unobtrusive and out of the way, but still on the page so it is seen. Don't make it move and flash and sing to me.
I like content providers who need the ad revenue, but they aren't getting money from ads sent to me. If it's really hurting them they need to do something about the ads being a problem, and then I might uninstall adblock plus. Until then, they have to suffer because they (enough of them) are not protesting this grotesque annoyance. The problem will not go away by making adblock useless. I got pissed when Google took the adblockers off the Play store because "it keeps people from doing business with you" Clearly I didn't want their business because of the annoyance they are. If they could find a way to be less annoying I wouldn't have to block it. The problem goes both ways. And i'm not stopping until they stop.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Ads that interrupt what you're actually doing are actually the only ones I dislike. If I can do what I want to do without having to make a special effort or be severely disrupted, I'm fine.

(I'm okay with youtube ads too, because I'll be watching videos anyway and always have multiple tabs of videos open anyway, I just switch over).
(Somehow though, changing the hosts file seems to have removed Youtube ads as well. Weird. )