Whats Your Setup?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryusen
Grand Templar

Re: Whats Your Setup?

#46 Post by Ryusen »

Neutral Smith wrote:* Second graphics card for SLI, new series comes in December I thought, so prices will drop.
I'd recommend just going straight for a brand new GPU instead of doing SLI. The 780ti has a lot of life left, and should easily sell for several hundred on any number of used hardware sites. If you were to put that towards either Pascal or Polaris, you could move up to a current-generation enthusiast card.

I'm not hating on SLI, but I've been running it for years, and I've had enough experience with it to understand all the drawbacks you need to endure. The only time that doing SLI makes practical sense is if you plan to use multiple, current-generation, enthusiast cards (something like 980ti, Titan, Fury X, etc) to power high-resolution, high-refresh rate displays. Save yourself the headache of driver issues, power draw, heat generation, broken SLI in games, stuttering, screen tearing (you get the idea) and just move to a single, better GPU.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#47 Post by Neutral Smith »

Ryusen wrote:
Neutral Smith wrote:* Second graphics card for SLI, new series comes in December I thought, so prices will drop.
I'd recommend just going straight for a brand new GPU instead of doing SLI. The 780ti has a lot of life left, and should easily sell for several hundred on any number of used hardware sites. If you were to put that towards either Pascal or Polaris, you could move up to a current-generation enthusiast card.

I'm not hating on SLI, but I've been running it for years, and I've had enough experience with it to understand all the drawbacks you need to endure. The only time that doing SLI makes practical sense is if you plan to use multiple, current-generation, enthusiast cards (something like 980ti, Titan, Fury X, etc) to power high-resolution, high-refresh rate displays. Save yourself the headache of driver issues, power draw, heat generation, broken SLI in games, stuttering, screen tearing (you get the idea) and just move to a single, better GPU.
I bought the basis for my current computer in September 2014, and the second graphics card came in November 2014 ;)
I just went 'let's do something stupid, I have the money' :P

Yes, it's a bit obsolete now, but according to the SteamVR performance test my computer is still 'Ready' (although on the edge of 'Capable', but that's good enough for me. If I even wanted to do something with VR)

I don't play the latest games, if I ever play games. The last game I bought was The Talos Principle (and last time I played that was two months ago, never got the patience to continue playing)

And I'm not someone who sells his old hardware, it just moves on to the next computer.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#48 Post by Ryusen »

Neutral Smith wrote:I bought the basis for my current computer in September 2014, and the second graphics card came in November 2014 ;)
Whoops, I must have misread your post. Did that GPU really come out that long ago? Wow. Time really does fly by.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#49 Post by SirSlaughter »

*pops in*

Hi guys, I'm back with more madness.
If you already thought my rig was pretty ridiculous, well be prepared for more insanity.

My rig is an ever evolving machine that I'll be keeping video updates on from here on out. I don't know why I'm not juts doing a tech channel for youtube but whatevs, I'll integrate that into my car channel.

Anyway, here are some pics for those of you who demand pictures and not videos:

FIRST IS THE BACKUP RIG:
CPU: I7 3770K
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 560TI OC
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z77 SABERTOOTH
PSU: EVGA 750B MODULAR
CASE: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D
RAM: 24GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE (BLUE AND BLACK) DDR3
Spoiler!
NOW FOR THE MAIN EVENT.
KING ADELAIDE 3.0
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Wzoq2nobQ[/video]

The video is just an update on how it's coming along. I'll be doing a full complete build video once I finally get everything set up and cleaned out. i have to redo my entire desk setup to accommodate the recording equipment and all the new stuff properly.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#50 Post by Envy661 »

Well since I just got my computer all up and running, I thought I would come in here.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5th Generation "Broadwell" processor. 3.3GHz not overclocked as of yet (don't need to).
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 4GB VRAM
RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3

This year has been a year for upgrades for me, since my old rig was a Pentium Anniversary Dual Core (3.8GHz Overclocked), GTX 750Ti GPU, and 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 RAM.

With the exception of the GPU, I won't need to upgrade this machine for years.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!