Whats Your Setup?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Sokka
Traveler
Location: Some desert where sand benders stole our flying bison

Whats Your Setup?

#1 Post by Sokka »

I just wanted to check out what everyone 'round here had for a computer setup, I know mine isn't the greatest, I haven't really had time (or money!) to upgrade much around here lately. Pardon the low quality of the image, I just snapped a pic on my ipod real fast.

There is no wealth like knowledge, and no poverty like ignorance
Twokinds unofficial storyline chat! http://webchat.nightstar.net/?channel=2k&uio=d4#

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: Whats Your Setup?

#2 Post by Myperson54 »

My dad used to be a graphic designer, so he had a lot of iMacs. We sold most of them, but these are the three in the lower level (I live in a back-split, so it's hard to refer to levels sometimes.). There's one in the kitchen my mom uses, and a PC in the basement for accounting. Then it'll only be a few months until I get my gaming PC!
It's a total mess of wires here, but it's usually more organized.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#3 Post by DariusL »

I've got a 21,5" iMac running OSX Snow Leopard.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by SirSlaughter »

I've always wanted one of these threads here!

ImageImageImage

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Dual Laptops all the way!
One netbook-size one on my desk, with a Core i5, and 4GB of RAM.
Another huge one (which I had to find the largest carry bag ever for) with an older Core 2 duo, but also 4GB of RAM. However this one has less RAM-related problems as you might remember.
I've also got nothing decent to take pics with.

Sokka
Traveler

#6 Post by Sokka »

SirSlaughter, I'll trade you my soul for that computer, it looks beastly!
Twokinds unofficial storyline chat! http://webchat.nightstar.net/?channel=2k&uio=d4#

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by SirSlaughter »

I actually need an update on my GPU. a 560TI does not pump out the Graphics like it used to. (Even thoug I can run almost anything on ultra within 27-60 FPS on a lot of newer games)...I'm a graphics and Framerate whore...

Sokka
Traveler

#8 Post by Sokka »

I'm planning a complete overhaul soon, I built my current one around 6 years ago on a limited budget, so it's not amazing, and definitely not getting any faster :mrgreen:

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#9 Post by Myperson54 »

I'm thinking of getting my own gaming rig this summer, after I work up some cash. Anyone know of an easy way to get info on parts without having to know fancy acronyms and such? I know about basic hardware, and I can learn any limitations or combinations I need, but I find that the information in hard to understand.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Ryusen »

Here we go: (linked due to size)

http://i.imgur.com/4ODpv5e.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/v9vy0bA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cYDi8lm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aPIGwSq.jpg

Full album: http://imgur.com/4ODpv5e,v9vy0bA,aPIGwSq,cYDi8lm#0

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core (OC'd to 4.5GHz @ 1.27v)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 69.7 CFM Rifle Bearing
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" SSD & Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower
Power Supply: SeaSonic 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" & Asus VH236H 23.0"
Custom: Schiit Asgard 2
Schiit Bifrost
PYST RCA Cables
Sennheiser HD650 Headphones
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by SirSlaughter »

I spy with my little eye a Cyborg Rat7 MMO. You and I seem to like fancy gadgets and buttons.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#12 Post by Tygron »

I love my Cyborg R.A.T.7 Was thinking about the mmo, but don't really need it.

I'll be trying to get some updated pics of my setup.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Ryusen »

SirSlaughter wrote:I spy with my little eye a Cyborg Rat7 MMO. You and I seem to like fancy gadgets and buttons.
I think "like" is the wrong word. I've actually owned several of the Cyborg mice; and after all is said and done, I'm done supporting this company.

My first mouse, the RAT 7, lasted a good 1.5 years before I started getting severe double-clicking issues. I used it daily, so maybe I just put more city miles on it than I thought. But there's no reason a mouse costing (at the time) ~$80 should be dying that quickly. But the mouse fit my hand well, and it was a nice conversation starter, so I decided to buy another. Maybe this one was just a lemon?

My second was the RAT MMO. Same story. It lasted about a year before I started getting double-clicking issues (a single click of the left mouse button would result in a double click). "Well", I thought, "this is disheartening". Could I really have gotten two different, faulty mice, both dead relatively quickly? Against my better judgement, I decided to give them another try. Maybe, just maybe everything will turn out well. Third time's the charm, right?

I bought a RAT 9 (the wireless version) off a buyer on amazon. Lo and behold, it would not connect to my computer. No amount of driver re-installation, restarting, or animal sacrifice would appease the Wireless Gods. So I returned it for a second RAT MMO (the one you saw in the picture).

Now, not even 9 months later, I'm having the same issue I had with the first two mice - that double clicking menace. And you know what? I'm done supporting a company that puts out mice like this. Maybe I got unlucky four times in a row (I rather doubt it), but I'm not going to keep throwing my money away on expensive mice just to have to replace them the next year. This company isn't horrible, but I can still tell that I'm using a Mad Catz product, even after sinking several hundred dollars into their "top-of-the-line" products. Save your money, kids, and pick up something from Logitech.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Ryusen wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:I spy with my little eye a Cyborg Rat7 MMO. You and I seem to like fancy gadgets and buttons.
I think "like" is the wrong word. I've actually owned several of the Cyborg mice; and after all is said and done, I'm done supporting this company.

My first mouse, the RAT 7, lasted a good 1.5 years before I started getting severe double-clicking issues. I used it daily, so maybe I just put more city miles on it than I thought. But there's no reason a mouse costing (at the time) ~$80 should be dying that quickly. But the mouse fit my hand well, and it was a nice conversation starter, so I decided to buy another. Maybe this one was just a lemon?

My second was the RAT MMO. Same story. It lasted about a year before I started getting double-clicking issues (a single click of the left mouse button would result in a double click). "Well", I thought, "this is disheartening". Could I really have gotten two different, faulty mice, both dead relatively quickly? Against my better judgement, I decided to give them another try. Maybe, just maybe everything will turn out well. Third time's the charm, right?

I bought a RAT 9 (the wireless version) off a buyer on amazon. Lo and behold, it would not connect to my computer. No amount of driver re-installation, restarting, or animal sacrifice would appease the Wireless Gods. So I returned it for a second RAT MMO (the one you saw in the picture).

Now, not even 9 months later, I'm having the same issue I had with the first two mice - that double clicking menace. And you know what? I'm done supporting a company that puts out mice like this. Maybe I got unlucky four times in a row (I rather doubt it), but I'm not going to keep throwing my money away on expensive mice just to have to replace them the next year. This company isn't horrible, but I can still tell that I'm using a Mad Catz product, even after sinking several hundred dollars into their "top-of-the-line" products. Save your money, kids, and pick up something from Logitech.
Logitech MX518 Whooooo

I don't actually know whose mouse this is. It might have been my brother's. I might have gotten it for my birthday or for christmas. Fact is, it existed before I built my first PC: more than 4 years ago. And it's mine, and you can't have it.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by RobbieThe1st »

My main boxes(I have one at my parents place which runs 24/7, and one at my apartment) are both running slightly older tech

Parents' place(main PC):
Phenom II X4 955 CPU
16GB DDR3-1600
GTX 560
128GB OCZ Vector ssd
3X640GB HDs, in a software raid-5 config
Debian Testing/Unstable x86_64 OS with a Liquorix kernel
Alienware AW2310 23" 1080P 120HZ display
17" ViewSonic "recycled" LCD for a second monitor
G11 keyboard
Razer Deathadder left-handed mouse
Creative Audigy 2ZS soundcard(PCI)
Sennheiser HD 280PRO headphones with custom-built headset boom

Apartment(secondary-main PC):
Phenom II X4 955 CPU
8GB DDR3-1600
GTX 260
1.5TB HD
Debian Testing/Unstable x86_64 OS with a Liquorix kernel
Alienware AW2310 23" 1080P 120HZ display
G110 keyboard
Razer Deathadder left-handed mouse
Sennheiser HD 280PRO headphones
Ebay audio DAC(PCM 2704 based, with custom loading resistors to prevent ripple/noise)
cheap microphone attached to audio-in port on keyboard