So I have an ancient joystick/throttle and a new computer...

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Myperson54
The Imagineer

So I have an ancient joystick/throttle and a new computer...

#1 Post by Myperson54 »

I recently picked up an old joystick called the Top Shot Pegasus. Seems pretty high-end, from what I can tell. Here's what I know about it:

It was built for windows 95/98.
It connects using USB 1.0 or a 9-pin Serial Port (Which I didn't know even existed.)
It's so big, it requires its own power supply.
Its driver is for the PC.

I was wondering, since the install CD doesn't work on my Mac, if there was any way I could get the driver to work through other means?

Other info:
I use a wineskin wrapper specially tailored for Star Trek Online to play it, since it's a PC-only game at the moment. If making the Mac itself accept the driver doesn't work, would it be possible to have the wrapper do it? (I'd be using the joystick with STO anyways.)

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

Re: So I have an ancient joystick/throttle and a new compute

#2 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Well, it looks like it works on Linux. If you really want to use it, I'd setup a dual-boot on your Mac with the latest Ubuntu or Linux Mint distro. With that, you should be able to run Star Trek Online via Wine same as now, and you'll have support for this joystick.
It looks like even back in 2009 support was available for Linux; now there's a good chance it'll be plug-and-play.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

Gah, I'd have to learn to use bash commands :P Ah well, it's good to know there's a relatively easy solution. I can get my dad to help me with Linux. Thanks!

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Myperson54 wrote:Gah, I'd have to learn to use bash commands :P Ah well, it's good to know there's a relatively easy solution. I can get my dad to help me with Linux. Thanks!
Actually, most of what you want to do can probably be done without any commands at all - the GUI side of things has really improved. The only sticky bits will be Wine(I recommend running Crossover for the *easiest* plug-and-play experience; you can get it for free by becoming a Crossover Advocate and providing beta-test reports each upgrade cycle), and support for this joystick which may require a few commands... of which I can probably help with.

BTW, Wine says that ST:O support is Gold, so it should work nicely.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#5 Post by Myperson54 »

Alright, thanks a ton! I'll PM you if/when I try this out! Problem solved, you can lock, I suppose.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by RobbieThe1st »

No need to lock; just post here when you get to a question spot - others frequent this board as well and can help too ;)