Computer rant!... GAH!

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeffurry
New Citizen

Computer rant!... GAH!

#1 Post by Jeffurry »

Bought my current computer back in 2010. Had it for 2 years now, almost 3 (aug). I had some upgrades done to it, 400 Watt PSU, nVidia 8800 GTS. Worked great, until.... The system ran its monthly check up, and stated all hardware and the HDD was fine, but the HDD died 3 days later without warning. So I tried to check on it, find out it has a bad block..... I noticed before I did the first restart, windows had downloaded and INSTALLED all the updates I had chosen not to install, including SP1, because I was told it could kill my computer. Well Microsoft forced these updated, and installed them once the restart happened. So I was trying to back up as much as I could, and it just kept locking up, and it just quit on me, I tried to reboot it, but it couldn't even detect the HDD anymore. I was well past mad, I was down right red faced pissed off... So, I grabbed my old Dell 2400, because it is still kicking, original HDD and its P4! The Dell is well over 10+ years of service to me, and has never screwed up. (yay! Windows XP Pro).

After all that, a good friend came to the rescue, gave me a free HDD (500GB SATA) to replace my old one. Its now working great.. or it was..

I noticed once again, my windows update settings were changed.. It had installed 109 updates without permission. Again forcing me to update. Then just today, my computer had a major screw up, and crashed without any warning, no BSOD, only a few errors in the event viewer. I think I got the current problem fixed, I hope.

Windows 7 users, watch out, you maybe forced to update! Windows SP1 is bad for your computer, I asked my brother who runs a computer store and deals with this stuff daily.

PS.
Riddle me this, Dell 2400 with P4 Processor (10+ years old and original HDD still kicking) Vs. 2010 Compaq Presario with AMD II X2 Processor (2 years old and original HDD dead)
I managed to read the whole comic in one day :mike:
"Either Lead, follow or get the hell outta my way!" - Me
I lurk the forum, and I don't always talk, but it is what it is.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Computer rant!... GAH!

#2 Post by SirSlaughter »

You should have posted this in the tech board.
EDIT: Has it ever occured to you that maybe this could be your doing? I mean I have win7 and so do most people on the forums. My PC is a good ol custom built with an i7 3770K, Nvidia GTX560Ti, Gene V Motherboard, blah blah blah!

Point is, I have win7 and install Almost all the updates. ecept for that bing desktop [censored]. I don't like Bing. Anyway, i think that maybe a site you go to may have a virus?

I have win7 on mutliple PCs and have dealt with a lot of them and never had that issue.

Jeffurry
New Citizen

#3 Post by Jeffurry »

No virus here. All the sites I go to are safe. Its funny how it started after SP1 was put on here.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Windows forcing you to update is an old hat. When my 30-day license ran out end of january (I am a lazy person, always) windows quite literally told me that it was going to shut down and install updates, and that I should deal with it. Updates of course including nuisances and stuff.

I have since installed Rainmeter(Enigma), which permanently obscures the message in the bottom right corner and goes very well with the black screen, too. :grin:

Wow. I'm so damn lazy.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by RobbieThe1st »

So stop complaining, *do* something about it: Learn Ubuntu. Free, make it how *you* want it, and you will never be *forced* into anything; You are in control. Period.
Of course, you might not be able to run all of your apps, or have to run some in a Windows VM, but hey, that's the price you pay for having things the way you want instead of how Microsoft tells you they are going to be.

Jeffurry
New Citizen

#6 Post by Jeffurry »

RobbieThe1st wrote:So stop complaining, *do* something about it: Learn Ubuntu. Free, make it how *you* want it, and you will never be *forced* into anything; You are in control. Period.
Of course, you might not be able to run all of your apps, or have to run some in a Windows VM, but hey, that's the price you pay for having things the way you want instead of how Microsoft tells you they are going to be.

Sadly I don't have *time* to learn Ubuntu.... I'll just stick to this OS and complain about it... :)

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by EvilNinjadude »

RobbieThe1st wrote:So stop complaining, *do* something about it: Learn Ubuntu. Free, make it how *you* want it, and you will never be *forced* into anything; You are in control. Period.
I have a feeling I'm going to be doing that soon. Maybe when I have a second PC to mess around with without losing internet access.

Felidire
Traveler

#8 Post by Felidire »

Have you tried scanning the HDDs with SeaTools or something yet? If it was a sector problem then you most likely would be getting blue screens.

Pretty sure i've had SP1 installed for ages and haven't experienced any issues thus far, my update settings are always set to manual, though. (Some [censored] face at a local store sold me an MSDN Win7 serial, and by the time M$ hit me with the "counterfeit" watermark, the store was long gone.) Gotta keep the auto update switched off and only install select KB####### updates, 'cause there's no way in hell i'm paying for another key~
Commercialize, infect, annihilate, progress
visualize, inhale, pretend, betray.
[/size]