Stereo mix, Drivers, and other unhelpful stuff

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

Stereo mix, Drivers, and other unhelpful stuff

#1 Post by EvilNinjadude »

So, for fun and no profit, I wanted to start using Stereo mix on my PC. Except that I couldn't find it. Probably an outdated driver, they told me. Took me ages to find out where I could get one, and the recommended program wanted my hard-earned money.

So, what I'm asking:
1. Is it really the drivers?
2. Where should I get them downloaded from?
3. Anything else you want to tell me?

PC is an unmodified Acer Aspire 7738G. Also has a broken battery, but you don't need to know that.
I'll check back tomorrow, I'm in not too big of a hurry.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Stereo mix, Drivers, and other unhelpful stuff

#2 Post by RobbieThe1st »

You haven't told us the most important piece of information: Your OS.

As far as stereo mixes go, there's two possible routes: One, some sound cards(real ones like Creative Audigy ones, not cheap DACs) have a built-in loopback which can be recorded. Likely a lot of the tutorials were based upon using a card like this, which will just have it available to use on any OS.

If you *don't* have a hardware mixer(which you don't), it all has to be emulated in software, so you'll need something that can interface with the drivers/windows sound system and provide it.

Beyond that, I can't really help you.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Oh. Currently using Windows 7 professional.

I swear I heard something about portable (USB) audio cards. Are those a thing? And if yes, which would you recommend?

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by SirSlaughter »

EvilNinjadude wrote:Oh. Currently using Windows 7 professional.

I swear I heard something about portable (USB) audio cards. Are those a thing? And if yes, which would you recommend?
Yes those are a thing. I think they are called soundblaster. But that's only one of many. However if you demand a full on audio system experience would suggest a nice USB sound interface setup.

I myself currently am running off of These beauties. But this was when I was orignally going ot record my own music ( have since then lost motivation, time, and inspiration). But those are two of many many options out there. Either way you should be set to go. Unless you want to go wth a built in PCI sound card, but I have seen/heard of so many stupid issues involvng these things, such as you can't have more than one output connected at once because it will only work on one at a time.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by EvilNinjadude »

SirSlaughter wrote:
EvilNinjadude wrote:Oh. Currently using Windows 7 professional.

Yes those are a thing. I think they are called soundblaster. But that's only one of many. However if you demand a full on audio system experience would suggest a nice USB sound interface setup.

I myself currently am running off of These beauties. But this was when I was orignally going ot record my own music ( have since then lost motivation, time, and inspiration). But those are two of many many options out there. Either way you should be set to go. Unless you want to go wth a built in PCI sound card, but I have seen/heard of so many stupid issues involvng these things, such as you can't have more than one output connected at once because it will only work on one at a time.
I think a PCI card is right now pretty much out of the question. If you google my PC model, you'll find it to be a laptop. :P

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by RobbieThe1st »

You'd have to do some googling to make sure your USB Soundblaster supports Stereo Mix with the current drivers - Check out this link: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArti ... ?sid=87127

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by EvilNinjadude »

RobbieThe1st wrote:You'd have to do some googling to make sure your USB Soundblaster supports Stereo Mix with the current drivers - Check out this link: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArti ... ?sid=87127
Bookmarked that for when I get around to buying one. They're actually way less expensive than I expected.

Thank you guys for helping out.