The first computer Operating System you ever remember having

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Zylver
Grand Templar

Re: The first computer Operating System you ever remember ha

#31 Post by Zylver »

My first computer was an Intel Pentium II with 900MHz processor, 125 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD, nVidia GeForceMX2 and had several operating systems like Win95, Win98 and Win ME :P

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#32 Post by Schrodinger »

First computer I ever had came with Windows Millennium Edition as the OS.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

leoian
Banned
Banned

#33 Post by leoian »

Mac os on a mac 2
:flora:

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#34 Post by Turaiel »

My first machine was an eMachines eTower 366is with a Celeron processor, 3 GB hard disk space, 32 MB RAM, and Windows 98. Since then I've owned machines which ran Windows 3.1 all the way up to 7, and Mac OS 8 - OS X Snow Leopard.

The oldest machine I've owned that I know the specs for was my server throughout high school. Pentium MMX 200 MHz processor, 112 MB RAM, and 4 GB HDD. It was designed for Windows NT, my mother bought it with Windows 95, and since then it's run 2000, XP, and Debian.
Website Administrator

specter
Templar GrandMaster

#35 Post by specter »

My FIRST machine I ever had was an old Dos Box my father put in my room when I was 3-4. Duke Nukem and Hocus Pocus baby, aww yeah.

After that I've just had various Dell machines passed down to me, my oldest one still standing is an old Inspiron 1000 running Knoppix off it's HD. Now I'm trying to get a Win95 install stick on it for old time's sake.

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#36 Post by Tuna »

First OS: Commodore BASIC 2.0, which ran on a Commodore VIC-20 - the programs were on cassette tapes :kathrin:

TheHawk

#37 Post by TheHawk »

It was Windows XP on an old dell computer, I remember using it when I maybe 9 or ten, it was soo slow

cliffpanther
Grand Templar
Location: In the central point of the Universe. Just like everyone else.

#38 Post by cliffpanther »

Well the first computer I remember using was an old Pentium II desktop with Windows 95 on it. But I was too young to remember anything, it was more like my dad's pc. Then there was his Pentium III box with Win98 and then after a few years my older sis got it, my dad got himself a 1.7GHz Pentium IV with WinXP.
My first computer was a Fujitsu-siemens laptop with a 1.5GHz Celeron processor running Knoppix linux (wow, such nerd, linux much, wow). Then I used FreeBSD for a very short period - configuring it properly was too much of a challenge for that 10-year-old kid I was back then as it had no graphical installer. I ended up installing it properly without graphical environment. That laptop is now a test environment with - guess what - FreeBSD on board ^^ A few years later I got an Asus - it was a great leap for the mankindstep forward. Two cores, 2 gigs of ram (instead of just 512MB) and a dedicated video card. It lasted for a couple of years, then the GPU died. I had it repaired, but in the meantime I bought myself a new laptop - also from Asus - with an i5 processor. It's been serving me well. I am about to buy a new one as soon as I'm done with my finals - that is, in May. Hopefully.
Apart from that, I get to work on countless types of systems.

tl;dr I'm a nerd.

Dark_Shayd

#39 Post by Dark_Shayd »

Windows 98 With (I think) Intel Celeron, somewhere between 300-400Mhz and 256Mb Ram, Hard drive has 4GB and was clunky
Rising from ashes is so mainstream. I was reborn from a sparkly cloud of rainbow dust!

TraLi
Traveler

#40 Post by TraLi »

Fenric wrote:My family's first computer was a TRS-80 ColorComputer 2 running Microsoft Basic (it didn't really have an "operating system" as such).
Microsoft BASIC-A, to be extra specific. :P My first was also a Tandy TRS-80 ColorComputer 2. Came with a "teach yourself BASIC" book, so I did! Ours had the 32KB RAM upgrade and a cassette recorder.

First I bought myself was a second-hand Macintosh II. Had a 16MHz 68020 with 4MB of RAM and an 80MB HD running System 7.1. I upgraded the [heck] out of that thing, eventually got it up to a 33MHz 68030, 40MB RAM, 500MB HD, System 7.5.5, and spiffy accelerated Radius video card. I finally broke down and recycled it (and a bunch of other classic 68K Macs) about six months ago. :/

I sort of turned into a collector of, um, interesting hardware over the years. I have a 200MHz Sun Ultra1 from 1997 - hard to imagine a 64 bit CPU back in those days. Still have a functioning Apple Newton MessagePad 2100! And an Amiga 500. I've never been too well-off and learned a lot cobbling together systems out of other people's discarded parts. Lots of fond memories from those days. :)

One thing nobody likes to hear is how little technology has changed. :P Processors are a lot faster, and memory capacities are a lot bigger, but computers are still the same basic architecture. Some notable exceptions are protected memory and virtualization. And of course this globe-spanning network with millions and millions of connected systems... Now those are interesting changes.

Kaz
Master

#41 Post by Kaz »

Debian 1.1 :trace:

Linux now, linux forever!

(Oldest OS ever used was DOS in a VM).

DragonTamer1
Apprentice
Location: Filling the skies with burning wreckage from my doomed plane

#42 Post by DragonTamer1 »

My family's first computer was a Compaq Presario we got in 98 or 99. We had it until 2005 when the computer we have now took over as the main computer but it still sat in the basement and was used from time to time for playing some of the older games that couldn't run on the new system. Eventually we got rid of it and the processor is now serving as a coaster on my desk.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#43 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

DOS. such good memories

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#44 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

Windows 95, good old Days when all was pixels.
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

JC the Supreme Tiger
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#45 Post by JC the Supreme Tiger »

Windows 95, but my parents had a Commodore Amiga 1000 or 3000, that I used occasionally before they finally switched their main computer to windows around '99-'00, when we got DSL.
Lurk moar; it's never enough.