The first computer Operating System you ever remember having

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

The first computer Operating System you ever remember having

#1 Post by Envy661 »

What's the first OS you ever remember having on your household computer? What was the year? How has technology changed over all that time? What was the first computer you ever bought yourself, and which OS ran on it?

At times, I think it's fun to look on and discuss the changing of technology over the years. For me, I've experienced the changing of technology for the last 20ish years.

The first computer and OS I remember in my household was an old IBM computer. It ran Windows 95. And I believe I was 3 when I first remember having that computer in my household. When I was roughly 7 or 8, we replaced that with a Windows 98 Computer, and when I was around 12 or so, we finally got Windows 2000.

I wasn't exactly state of the art growing up. Keeping up with technology isn't always easy, after all. Still, it was fun having a computer in my home when I was younger. Being born in '91, I've seen a lot of changes come to several different types of technology in varying ways.

When I turned 18, I got my first laptop computer, which ran Windows Vista. Now, at 21, I have a newer laptop that operates Windows 7.

So how has technology changed for you? What have you grown up with? What insights into technology can you share? Anyone here ever use DOS?
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Re: The first computer Operating System you ever remember ha

#2 Post by DariusL »

System 7 on a Mac Classic, can't remember the year.
Then in 1999 we got an iMac G3 with MacOS 8. We quickly switched to MacOS 9. After a couple of years we switched to OSX Cheetah, then to OSX Tiger. In 2010 we got a new iMac with OSX Snow Leopard, and that's what I'm currently using.

Edit: I'm sometimes using WIndows 3.1 on DOSBOX, but that doesn't really count.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

I used to have a windows 95, but it never worked. When I was 5, I had a 98 with a MAME emulator for games, and an Imac with what was likely Mac OS 9. Or 8, I dunno, it was 1999.

I had an XP for a long time. (Thank god we skipped so much there!) It was a desktop, but we also had a laptop, and they both ran the office version cause my dad had them for work at first. They were so good.

Then my dad had a MacBook PowerBook G3 (Or G4) with OSX Cheetah, I think, then Puma, Panther, and Tiger. I'm not too familiar with anything below Tiger. We got a few emacs for home and work and kept upgrading to Mountain Lion, which is what I have now. I really wanna try the newest Imacs. My school just got two and is waiting for an activation code.

*EDIT*
Oh, and of course iOS 4.2.1 for the iPod Touch 2G, and now Android OS v.2.3.4, "Gingerbread" on my Motorola XT860, if that counts. My dad uses its 6 for his Phone and iPad, I believe.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#4 Post by Envy661 »

Myperson54 wrote:I used to have a windows 95, but it never worked. When I was 5, I had a 98 with a MAME emulator for games, and an Imac with what was likely Mac OS 9. Or 8, I dunno, it was 1999.

I had an XP for a long time. (Thank god we skipped so much there!) It was a desktop, but we also had a laptop, and they both ran the office version cause my dad had them for work at first. They were so good.

Then my dad had a MacBook PowerBook G3 (Or G4) with OSX Cheetah, I think, then Puma, Panther, and Tiger. I'm not too familiar with anything below Tiger. We got a few emacs for home and work and kept upgrading to Mountain Lion, which is what I have now. I really wanna try the newest Imacs. My school just got two and is waiting for an activation code.

*EDIT*
Oh, and of course iOS 4.2.1 for the iPod Touch 2G, and now Android OS v.2.3.4, "Gingerbread" on my Motorola XT860, if that counts. My dad uses its 6 for his Phone and iPad, I believe.
Both you and Ticoun have me just baffled at the sheer stupidity of Mac OS names... I've never been a Mac fan. I'm a gamer, after all. But actually hearing about the Operating System names makes me actually wanna laugh hysterically. No offense to you, or anyone who uses or owns a Mac. It's just my opinion of the names of them. Nothing more.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#5 Post by DariusL »

Envy661 wrote:
Myperson54 wrote:I used to have a windows 95, but it never worked. When I was 5, I had a 98 with a MAME emulator for games, and an Imac with what was likely Mac OS 9. Or 8, I dunno, it was 1999.

*EDIT*
Both you and Ticoun have me just baffled at the sheer stupidity of Mac OS names... I've never been a Mac fan. I'm a gamer, after all. But actually hearing about the Operating System names makes me actually wanna laugh hysterically. No offense to you, or anyone who uses or owns a Mac. It's just my opinion of the names of them. Nothing more.
The logic behind the names is that it's easier to remember "Snow Leopard" than "10.6.8".

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#6 Post by Envy661 »

Let me just elaborate this so you can get a sense of where I'm coming from, and why I don't like Mac, aside from its very limited compatibility with a vast majority of games, MMO and otherwise.
I grew up on Pepsi, and as a result, the taste of Coca Cola just has never been as good to me. I lived on the stuff when I was younger, back before it was found to be so terribly bad for you. To this day, I will still gladly take a Pepsi over a Coke. Goes down smoother, in my opinion, but not everyone shares that opinion.
Same thing with PC. I grew up with one. Hell, I've been using one my whole life. I'm never actually OWNED a Mac, and nor have I ever wanted to. The price for something about as good as a PC that can't play as many games isn't justifiable, even if it were the same price. But instead, it's actually MORE expensive, and I wouldn't be getting any bang for my buck if I got one. All art software I want comes with the tablets, etc. I may be purchasing in the future. For everything else, there's Adobe products like Photoshop. I've never had a desire to own a Mac, because for me, a Mac is a senseless waste of money. It's my opinion, and again, not everyone shares that.
ticoun wrote: The logic behind the names is that it's easier to remember "Snow Leopard" than "10.6.8".
Really? Honestly, 10.6.8 doesn't seem too hard to remember. And honestly, who creates an entirely new OS based on a 0.0.0 variable? That seems excessive. Even a 0.0 variable is a little overboard. So why would one need to keep track of 10.6.8? That last 8 would just be the current patch number, wouldn't it?
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#7 Post by Lief »

Eventually they're going to run out of big cats. What'll they use next?

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#8 Post by Envy661 »

Lief wrote:Eventually they're going to run out of big cats. What'll they use next?
Mules, Donkeys, and Horses. Maybe a Llama as well. :p
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by SirSlaughter »

Envy661 wrote:
ticoun wrote: The logic behind the names is that it's easier to remember "Snow Leopard" than "10.6.8".
Really? Honestly, 10.6.8 doesn't seem too hard to remember. And honestly, who creates an entirely new OS based on a 0.0.0 variable? That seems excessive. Even a 0.0 variable is a little overboard. So why would one need to keep track of 10.6.8? That last 8 would just be the current patch number, wouldn't it?
10= the actual OS version (Now leopard). 6 being the Patch number for larger things such as a new software program or a large update (more than 4 bug fixes+new features for the desktop). the 8 would be minor changes such as a small patch to the Antivirus and maybe a few optimizations for the explorer.

That's more or less an example but the point is:

First number: The actual OS
second number: Large updates
Third number: Minor patches not really important enough to warrant urgency.

Why do you think that windows 8 isn't windows 1982473? I've updated my system enough times that if 2 or 3 numbers weren't enough it would be something like that. Same goes with macs

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#10 Post by Envy661 »

SirSlaughter wrote:
Envy661 wrote:
10= the actual OS version (Now leopard). 6 being the Patch number for larger things such as a new software program or a large update (more than 4 bug fixes+new features for the desktop). the 8 would be minor changes such as a small patch to the Antivirus and maybe a few optimizations for the explorer.

Why do you think that windows 8 isn't windows 1982473? I've updated my system enough times that if 2 or 3 numbers weren't enough it would be something like that. Same goes with macs
So why not just call it Mac OS 10? That's much easier than Leopard.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#11 Post by Myperson54 »

Envy661 wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:
Envy661 wrote:

So why not just call it Mac OS 10? That's much easier than Leopard.
It is called that; Mac OSX, the X being roman numerals for ten. Leopard is the version of OSX one has. The difference between, say, Leopard and Lion isn't huge, but the difference between Leopard and Tiger is huge, like a jump from windows XP to windows 7. The only real similarity is the base kernel and overall visual/programming style.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

philip284
Apprentice

#12 Post by philip284 »

SirSlaughter wrote: 10= the actual OS version (Now leopard). 6 being the Patch number for larger things such as a new software program or a large update (more than 4 bug fixes+new features for the desktop). the 8 would be minor changes such as a small patch to the Antivirus and maybe a few optimizations for the explorer.

Then why is 10.8 Mountain Lion? or 10.7 being Lion? So if the first number is actual OS version, then they didn't release a new OS since 2011?
Envy661 wrote:So why not just call it Mac OS 10? That's much easier than Leopard.
That would include every Mac OS 10 since 2001. No one could tell which one you were talking about

Well more on topic I remember first using a windows 98 computer. Then upgrading to a slightly better windows 98 computer. And once again to a slightly better one. Then finally I get a laptop with windows 98 second edition. Of course I promptly crash that beyond repair and have to install windows 98. :( Went through many more windows 98 computers till I got my hands on a XP install disk(by then windows vista was out). Saw a now bad deal on a horrible acer windows vista laptop in the paper, and for one reason or another I went out and brought it. Hated it. 3 years later, I got pissed at it, so I wrecked the screen. I now I have a pretty sweet HP with windows 7. That's not including the macs I owned which the newest is a G3, so ya old tech.
Envy661 wrote:Anyone here ever use DOS?
Yes, all the time
If a tree falls in the woods, but no one is around to hear it, does it still kill the squirrel it landed on?
ImageImage

Tygron
Notakitty!

#13 Post by Tygron »

I don't remember what kind of computer we had, but it ran Windows 95. Didn't even have a sound card. Mom got one for me so I could play this Blues Clues game online. I remember the old dial up internet. wow. It was actually a computer mom had got for work so when she got another job she had to give it back. She then got me a computer (that she could use too duh) that was Hotwheels themed. That ran Windows 98. It was awesome. I still got that around... somewhere... I wanna try to get it up and running just cause. It's kinda dead, some part when bad inside and I can't remember which it was. My grandparents gave us their IBM, also with Windows 98. They got a new eMachines with Windows XP. Then the IBM died... and they got me a new eMachines with XP aswell. (notice a trend here? I'm pretty sure the dying part wasn't my fault too) I had had some money saved up over the years for things and paid for half of my Compaq laptop running XP. I believe this was 2004 ish at this time. Upgraded to Vista on it when it came out. Then a few years ago and they got me a new laptop (yea... i'm a spoiled kid >.>) Asus G50 running Vista. Which I upgraded to 7 when I could. But the first computer i've ever bought would have to be this one i'm using now. And I put it together myself. So yea. XD Never going back. Running Windows 7 on this beast.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by SirSlaughter »

The first computer I ever used/owned was one with 98 home edition...or was it 95? I can't remember. I kinda killed a few of them with viruses. (I was like 7-8 so sue me). I ended up getting the old Compaq "beige" computer that I would play C&C Tiberiun sun on for hours and hours. We ended up going with laptops after the last desktop died and I got myself a Compaq laptop with Vista on it. I played Oblivion on that thing on the lowest settings and had the best time doing it.

I gave my parents back the macbook when they got it for me.

After that I got a sony Vaio (Win7) that was really underpowered so I returned it and found another vaio that did much better.

After moving here 2 1/2 years ago my dad bought an HP with 512 MB or GPU memory so I kinda used it more than he did for gaming. When my dad went downrange I finally got a credit card and dropped a Grand on a Lenovo Desktop with win7 (The one I ended up Modding).

After the Lenovo Grieved me to no end with its Prepriatory (however you spell that) I decided to go all out and dropped about another grand and a half on my current beast: (I will never regret this decision). Now I'm running Win7 with 16GB or RAM, a GTX 560Ti (OEM model), i7 3770K and more LEDs than anyone would ever need.

So far out of all the OSs I have ever used, my first OS and 7 have been my all time favs. I never liked XP very much. I used it all the time in school but I really did not like XP. Just something about the way it looks and feels. I think Vista is where it really started gaining steam. Then win7 and boom! we have the ultimate OS. Now with that 8 garbage....ugh. Terribad.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Wow, I feel old. I've had a number of computers when I was young, all old. I remember my dad getting me several 386's and 486's(this would have probably been p2-p3 days), and playing with Dos. I remember our high-powered family computer being a small-format box, 600mhz P3 with 512MB of ram, and having trouble playing Riven on it because the CD drive wasn't fast enough to play the videos smoothly. I remember us having to switch from Windows NT to 98 to get sound to work; NT was far better, but sound just... didn't work. (still have that box, but I don't think it works any more; couldn't get it to POST last I tried).

Also, possibly later, I remember getting my /oldest/ machine, a Kaypro 10 for a few $, which played Space Invaders and ran CP/M. Still have it, but haven't powered it on in years. Probably still works.
I've also got an early Macintosh; all-in-one, black&white screen and 3.25" floppy.

My first laptop was a Tandy 1110fd which ran dos on a reflective monochrome yellowgreen/blue screen. Battery system didn't work, but it'd run from the power brick.

My first /real/ laptop(which actually cost over $20) was a [url=http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Armada-775 ... B00005UPHC]Compaq Armada[url], running Windows 95. Started out with a 800x600 screen, which eventually got replaced with a 1024x768 screen when I found a similar one in a parts bin at a computer recycler for cheap. What's amazing was that it probably started windows 95 faster than modern systems start XP(or even win 7).
(Note: This was where I got my start with HTML; probably around age 8 or so - I'd download Garfield comics at the library, copy them to 3.25" floppies, and the copy them to my laptop, where I'd then write basic html to display them in order. I remember using a /lime green/ background...<_<)

...Of course, now, I run Linux, which has origins older than /any/ of these systems, and compatibility modes to match(One of these days I'll find a dumb terminal, and be able to use it)! :P