Anyone know some good Headphones?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Grace
Merchant

Anyone know some good Headphones?

#1 Post by Grace »

My little Skullcandy Earphones are dying on me. They've been awesome for the past year or two, but they're fragile little things, and the sound in the right one keeps dropping out at random points, sometimes not coming on again for hours, or until it's gotten a good smack.

So, I'm saving for a pair of proper, over-ear headphones, and find myself completely clueless.

Budget? Preferably in the area of 20-25 GBP and below. I have a little leeway with this.
I'd like them to be able to fold compact, which would make them much better for me, as I tend to listen to music more when I'm travelling, and I don't always travel with my satchel at hand to hold them.

I don't care about colour, and I'd like them to be sturdier than Skullcandys. Skullcandys have awesome sound quality, but they're just too fragile. No Fear do a set of headphones that seem to fit the bill, and they're on sale in town for about £15, but I don't know about the No Fear brand. Is their sound quality any good? How sturdy are they?

Tygron
Notakitty!

Re: Anyone know some good Headphones?

#2 Post by Tygron »

I've had some Wicked Audio Reverbs. Two pair actually. One died after a year or so, but they sound pretty nice for $20. But I now use a pair of Sennheiser headphones that were $20. I haven't used them as much as the Reverbs, but these also don't restrain my head when looking around with them around my neck. They aren't exactly the best headphones, but Sennheiser is a good brand with good sound quality. It isn't over bass filled like other headphones are, or at least mine are. Can't tell you the model right now though, I leave them at my mates to use on my laptop over there. The only problem I have with them is they are slightly aimed at the audience looking to use them with guitars or sound equipment. They aren't professional headphones, but they could be used in a pinch I guess. The cord is just way too long on them, probably about 7-9 feet long. Somewhere around there.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#3 Post by DariusL »

Another vote for Sennheiser. I just love my pair of HD-205. Sure, they're out of your price range, but I found their sound quality to be comparable to Sonys costing twice as much. But yeah, the cord is ridiculously long.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#4 Post by Tygron »

The Senn's I have were $20. They aren't amazing but they don't suck. Personally I don't like Skullcandy anymore. For earbuds they might be alright, but for overear I went with Skullcrushers. Twice. And once I realized that no matter how cool it was to have a subwoofer in my headphones, the bass sucked and the mids and highs were rather... skimpy (and not the good sort of skimpy) while there was so much bass going on. So yea... my Reverbs gave the same effect through a small reverb in the ear cups and it was nice. But now that i'm into making music I have flat studio speakers and headphones and I love them. But it's out of your price range as my speakers are $200 and my headphones were $150... but if you're looking for quality and durability... look for some good studio headphones. Audio Technica, Sennheiser, and AKG make good headphones. But they're also expensive.
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

Grace
Merchant

#5 Post by Grace »

Well, you get what you pay for. I'll save up, stretch my budget a bit, and go for a pair of Sennheisers.

leoian
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by leoian »

Grace wrote:Well, you get what you pay for. I'll save up, stretch my budget a bit, and go for a pair of Sennheisers.
I agree Beats audio isn't that good it's just lof of marketing, if you have to choose a brand goes to Boose or Sennheiser, thoses are maybe a little more expensive but the quality is here.
:flora:

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by SirSlaughter »

leoian wrote:
Grace wrote:Well, you get what you pay for. I'll save up, stretch my budget a bit, and go for a pair of Sennheisers.
I agree Beats audio isn't that good it's just lof of marketing, if you have to choose a brand goes to Boose or Sennheiser, thoses are maybe a little more expensive but the quality is here.

Beats: 200-300 dollars of stereo.

Razer Tiamat: 75-150 (depending on retailer) for 7.1 Surround sound awesomeness. Yeach it's a PC headset, But once you don't use the mic and organize the cord a bit, it's so much better.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#8 Post by Tygron »

Beats are ok. But only worth about $50 when it gets down to it. They look good though.

Gaming headsets are ok too really. But if you're going to be paying $100 for a pair of headphones and you aren't going to be using the mic you might as well go with studio monitors. Better quality for the same ish price. Depending on what you get of course, there are like $350 AKG's out there. and some $2560 or some such Senn's for the ridiculous audiophiles who need to hear frequencies their ears can't even hear. I can understand an argument for it though... I mean if your headphones aren't stopping at a certain frequency you can hear and play stuff maybe only your dog can, it is a more natural experience because in nature you can't hear those sounds either. But they are still happening and broaden out the range of the sound. So meh.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by RobbieThe1st »

I'm quite happy with my pair of Sennheiser HD 280s. Definitely worth the $60 or so I paid for them on Ebay.
Sure, it's a bit out of your price range, but I have to point out that compared to the $20-at-FredMeyer/Walmart headphones, the difference is night and day in terms of "clarity" - almost like the sound was put into 'focus'.

Microphone wise, I'm using a $0.99 Ebay microphone, which has far better sound quality than all of the more expensive ones I've tried. And it's not just my sound card - it works plenty well with my Logitech G110's build in USB soundcard.