Drawing, gamming desktop

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

leoian
Banned
Banned

Drawing, gamming desktop

#1 Post by leoian »

Hey Guys I'm looking for a pc (Mac os if possible), to draw and game as well do you have any idead what I could choose for it?
Under 1700 buck if it's possible

-Intel Core i7-3770K
-ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
-8Go de mémory DDR3 1600MHz
-Nvidia GTX 670
-Western Digital Caviar Black 1To SSD OCZ Agility 3 Series 128Go
-Cooler Master HAF 932
- AdvancedCorsair Gaming Series GS700 80PLUS Bronze
-Samsung SH-224BB
:flora:

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Drawing, gamming desktop

#2 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Mac OS and gaming are mutually exclusive AFAIK for most games except for a few of them which have made some extra effort.
If you genuinely prefer mac OS, then the choice is yours (it's nice for drawing and stuff) but if you become as familiar with windows as I am, you'll realize that not one of them is "worse" than the other in terms of functionality. I bet all the stuff I can't fix on macs can be fixed, I just dunno how.
I find the backend of PCs to be a little more accessible, so you can fiddle with it more easily than with a mac (I love managing my computer and all that).

Most of the money will probably go into the CPU, the Motherboard and the GPU; good quality RAM is luckily getting cheaper nowadays.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#3 Post by Tygron »

I'm not expert but those parts you have listed there look like they'd be fine. I only use a lowish end i3 processor and a GTX 660Ti and I run pretty much everything out there on max settings. Drawing wouldn't be too hard for the computer I wouldn't think, so you should be more than fine with those parts for that. You would just need to get a drawing program like Photoshop or whatever. As far as operating system those parts would only normally run windows or linux, BUT I have seen "hackintosh" computers so it is possible you could either put mac on it or dual boot to windows. Mac isn't too friendly with games, no one makes games for it really. So if you wanna game just use Windows. There's nothing wrong with Windows, don't let Mac fanboys tell you otherwise.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#4 Post by DariusL »

A good option would be to make a Hackintosh, then use Bootcamp to run Windows for games.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by SirSlaughter »

You should be capable of installing a MAC OS with those parts. It was talked about in a newegg video but they didn't go into it as they were focusing on windows. Now you could either do bootcamp, OR!!!!!!!!!! You could just dual boot. I don;t know of anyone whose done dual booting with different OS's except for linux and another Windows OS. So you would have to check real quick. I am too lazy. But anyway, The parts you listed are absolutely great. Stellar performance (I have a 3770K as well). That graphics card will blow anything you put at it out the water. I am running a 560Ti and I can play every single game I own at max:

BF3
Batman City and Asylum
Skyrim(not a very taxing game)

But anyway, the pairing of the three items (motherboard, CPU, and GPU) will make for a monster.

Just swap out that bronze power supply with a gold. It will last longer and is rated much better. If you can get a platinum even better. But gold is my standard. Anything lower and I look elsewhere.

Just be sure to have a good cooling setup. That card is gonna get hot and the 3770K runs at higher temps than normal but it can take higher temps as well.

leoian
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by leoian »

I wonder if a Mac mini with 8gb of ram could be enough to draw :/

Tygron
Notakitty!

#7 Post by Tygron »

leoian wrote:I wonder if a Mac mini with 8gb of ram could be enough to draw :/
More than enough probably. But no gaming on it.

If you're going for games too, drop the Mac idea. Sorry, it just doesn't work. If you want the feel of the OS i'm sure there's ways to make it look and feel more like Mac OS. Window Blinds I believe comes with a skin that makes it more similar to Mac. But if you're going off the "Macs are better for drawing and video and artsy stuff in general" then that's wrong. Windows can handle drawing and video editing and whatever else you want just fine, provided you have the hardware. Mac's generally come with good hardware, that's why their so expensive... with a "this is an Apple product" bonus cost on top of it. It isn't worth it.
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Tygron wrote: "Macs are better for drawing and video and artsy stuff in general" then that's wrong. Windows can handle drawing and video editing and whatever else you want just fine, provided you have the hardware.
I was only saying that since that seems to be the thing most people in that profession go for, I thought it might have something to do with the UI and system in general. Of course Windows can run almost anything you can name

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica

#9 Post by DariusL »

A mac mini will be more than enough for drawing. But for gaming you'd need a Mac Pro, but those are simply unaffordable. My 2010 iMac can run CoD4 and Minecraft perfectly, but that's probably its limit as it tends to heat up quite a bit. If you really want to play games build your own PC. There are more games for Windows than MacOSX anyway.
Please note that I am an Apple fan, and I have been using Macs since 1999. ;)

Tygron
Notakitty!

#10 Post by Tygron »

EvilNinjadude wrote:
Tygron wrote: "Macs are better for drawing and video and artsy stuff in general" then that's wrong. Windows can handle drawing and video editing and whatever else you want just fine, provided you have the hardware.
I was only saying that since that seems to be the thing most people in that profession go for, I thought it might have something to do with the UI and system in general. Of course Windows can run almost anything you can name
I assume it's because they do that stuff out of the box, where you would have to go find a special retailer to find a PC that does that. Also for a while Macs were actually more stable and stuff for those applications. Times have changed though and the pros are just used to the Mac way of doing things, nothing wrong with that, but I would like to see that line of thinking canned a bit.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Tygron wrote:Also for a while Macs were actually more stable and stuff for those applications. Times have changed though and the pros are just used to the Mac way of doing things, nothing wrong with that, but I would like to see that line of thinking canned a bit.
Let's go can that line of thinking right now.

Also, some evil people realized that people who were insecure about viruses tended to get macs because of their reputation. I guess nobody told those folks that the internet outlaws like nothing more than a challenge. Lo and behold.

Guess it's just a matter of personal preference now... :|

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica

#12 Post by DariusL »

EvilNinjadude wrote:
Tygron wrote:Also for a while Macs were actually more stable and stuff for those applications. Times have changed though and the pros are just used to the Mac way of doing things, nothing wrong with that, but I would like to see that line of thinking canned a bit.
Let's go can that line of thinking right now.

Also, some evil people realized that people who were insecure about viruses tended to get macs because of their reputation. I guess nobody told those folks that the internet outlaws like nothing more than a challenge. Lo and behold.

Guess it's just a matter of personal preference now... :|
There are stil a lot less viruses for macs, but yeah, it's now just a matter of preference.

leoian
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by leoian »

Tygron wrote:

If you're going for games too, drop the Mac idea. Sorry, it just doesn't work. If you want the feel of the OS i'm sure there's ways to make it look and feel more like Mac OS. Window Blinds I believe comes with a skin that makes it more similar to Mac. But if you're going off the "Macs are better for drawing and video and artsy stuff in general" then that's wrong. Windows can handle drawing and video editing and whatever else you want just fine, provided you have the hardware. Mac's generally come with good hardware, that's why their so expensive... with a "this is an Apple product" bonus cost on top of it. It isn't worth it.
I'm not an hardcore gamer, I'm more casual and retro, as a geek I code a lot but I've something only for that, I'm lookig for something kida strong, with good quality components, and to draw with a cintiq 12gx in 600-700 dp (main screen 24 inch)

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by SirSlaughter »

leoian wrote:
Tygron wrote:

I'm not an hardcore gamer, I'm more casual and retro, as a geek I code a lot but I've something only for that, I'm lookig for something kida strong, with good quality components, and to draw with a cintiq 12gx in 600-700 dp (main screen 24 inch)
...then why the hell did you want a GTX 670!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

Sorry, just tend to rage a bit when people have these unbelievably powerful machines and they never use them to their full potential or worse, Build it for their grandparents so they can facebook... I have that PC master race masochist vibe going on right now.
But anyway, dual boot. If you go mac, more than half the games made are not going to be supported. Even if they are smaller games, you will have a very very small library. Then comes the coding, I am unsure as to how coding software works and if they make most of them available to Mac OS. So I would definitely say, try a dual boot. Have a Mac OS and a Windows OS. That way you can get the best of both worlds.

The graphics card and windows OS will make sure you can game until your hearts content, The Mac OS lets you do all the things you want to do with video editing, drawing, and so on so forth.

Dammit, where's Robbie when you need him. He would probably yell at you and say Ubuntu is master race, But he knows way more in terms of OS Dual installations and such. So he would probably know for sure if you can do the Mac/Windows hybrid machine.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#15 Post by Tygron »

You can do the Mac/ Windows hybrid machine. People do it all the time either with a Mac or build it themselves.
Leo, if you do go this route though I would suggest going the build it yourself route. Macs tend to be really expensive for no real reason other than to have the Apple name on it. I believe I saw a rig someone made, water cooling included and 4 high end graphics cards (like 670's or 680's or something) and it cost like $700 less than a Mac, and had better hardware than the Mac.

And I think most of the time it's cheaper and better to build than to buy. Sure, laptops are excluded. Sure, if you need a computer RIGHT NOW then buying one off the shelf is much faster. But you really get what you want when you build it.

One more thing about dual booting? If you really want to, you could have a hard drive just for Windows and one for Mac I believe. That way you aren't sharing disk space, which isn't a problem if you do. Heck you could run two different versions of windows, Linux, Mac, and a few other distros of Linux on your machine if you so wanted to. Just depends on how much hard drive space you have and how you want to partition them I believe.