Drawing, gamming desktop

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

leoian
Banned
Banned

Re: Drawing, gamming desktop

#16 Post by leoian »

I've a laptop with an hybrid booting, but I don't want to buy a bunch pc pieces and have a big problem installing mac os x because of the drivers :/
:flora:

Tygron
Notakitty!

#17 Post by Tygron »

Fair enough. I haven't looked into the building a Mac thing too much so I don't know of the comparability issues. I would assume/ hope there would be little to none, but I don't really know.

Perhaps look around the internet for Hackintosh builds people have done. Look for ones that the person says runs fine, and if it's in your price range then get those parts. That way, someone out there has already done the thinking for you and research. And you're just using their item list to make your own. Or they will at the least tell you the work arounds or fixes they had to do to get things running.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

leoian
Banned
Banned

#18 Post by leoian »

Tygron wrote:Fair enough. I haven't looked into the building a Mac thing too much so I don't know of the comparability issues. I would assume/ hope there would be little to none, but I don't really know.

Perhaps look around the internet for Hackintosh builds people have done. Look for ones that the person says runs fine, and if it's in your price range then get those parts. That way, someone out there has already done the thinking for you and research. And you're just using their item list to make your own. Or they will at the least tell you the work arounds or fixes they had to do to get things running.
Hackintosh have a disclaimer about the driver's issues :/ that's why I'm worried too, i need to be sure before i do something.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#19 Post by Tygron »

Well it's not exactly something Apple wants you to do, so the drivers might not be out there. It is kind of a hack, and the people providing the hack or knowledge on how to do it can't guarantee things will work 100%. But that doesn't mean it won't either. Which is why I said to look for what other people have built and if they had/ have any driver issues and how they dealt with them or affect the performance of the computer.
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

philip284
Apprentice

#20 Post by philip284 »

Lifehacker has 3 builds here http://lifehacker.com/5919132/build-the ... e-released
Now that was posted back in June so...
But still much cheaper that any Mac
If a tree falls in the woods, but no one is around to hear it, does it still kill the squirrel it landed on?
ImageImage

etam
Apprentice

#21 Post by etam »

Why you should dump Apple: http://rys.io/en/89 (it's not mine, but I agree with it)

Tygron
Notakitty!

#22 Post by Tygron »

I watch TekSyndicate on youtube, so I knew about most of that already (they talked about it a lot a few weeks ago). This is ridiculous.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#23 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Yeah. Macs are dumb, and Apple is evil. Oh well, I knew that years ago.

Go with good old commodity hardware, and if you like OSX so much, install Ubuntu and make it look like OSX.

leoian
Banned
Banned

#24 Post by leoian »

RobbieThe1st wrote:Yeah. Macs are dumb, and Apple is evil. Oh well, I knew that years ago.

Go with good old commodity hardware, and if you like OSX so much, install Ubuntu and make it look like OSX.
I have a PC with Linux but I have some interesting software who are only for Mac.

I've found a Mac mini with 8gb of Ram and a Radeon 6630M intel core i5 2'5ghz

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#25 Post by SirSlaughter »

truth be told, if I had money or knowledge to do so, I would just go with a triple/quad boot. Windows 7, Mac OS, and Linux all in one computer. If possible I would love to have an HDD dedicated to each OS. That way if anything is wrong with drivers or something is making it crash, unplug each respective HDD until you learn what the problem is. That way you have the best of each and every world. Mac software can be used, windows gaming can be available to you, and ubuntu is at your fingertips as well. Unless using this method makes your computer go wonky. I wouldn't know. Robbie? would you happen to know?

Tygron
Notakitty!

#26 Post by Tygron »

It shouldn't make your computer go wonky. Even if you had things partitioned on one drive for each OS. Having an HDD for each would probably just make it easier to read (since it wouldn't have to skip over so much data) and you would have all the space of the drive as opposed to a portion of it. The drivers are used by each OS and go to each OS. The only way you could make something to wonky or not work (provided you could get it to run in the first place) would be to install, say, a Mac driver for something on your Windows OS.
The only problems then, would be if there aren't drivers for your hardware for that specific OS.

leoian
Banned
Banned

#27 Post by leoian »

SirSlaughter wrote:truth be told, if I had money or knowledge to do so, I would just go with a triple/quad boot. Windows 7, Mac OS, and Linux all in one computer. If possible I would love to have an HDD dedicated to each OS. That way if anything is wrong with drivers or something is making it crash, unplug each respective HDD until you learn what the problem is. That way you have the best of each and every world. Mac software can be used, windows gaming can be available to you, and ubuntu is at your fingertips as well. Unless using this method makes your computer go wonky. I wouldn't know. Robbie? would you happen to know?
I got it for 300 bucks :P, I tested it with a huge pic in 900 dpi and I did a panoramic and the little Buddy is enought fast and strong for these stuff, I can play in most of my game in hd.

I`m waiting to see if i can do a monster with 3 os on 3 hhd or ssd, but for now I`m quite happy with my little brick :P

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#28 Post by DariusL »

leoian wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:truth be told, if I had money or knowledge to do so, I would just go with a triple/quad boot. Windows 7, Mac OS, and Linux all in one computer. If possible I would love to have an HDD dedicated to each OS. That way if anything is wrong with drivers or something is making it crash, unplug each respective HDD until you learn what the problem is. That way you have the best of each and every world. Mac software can be used, windows gaming can be available to you, and ubuntu is at your fingertips as well. Unless using this method makes your computer go wonky. I wouldn't know. Robbie? would you happen to know?
I got it for 300 bucks :P, I tested it with a huge pic in 900 dpi and I did a panoramic and the little Buddy is enought fast and strong for these stuff, I can play in most of my game in hd.

I`m waiting to see if i can do a monster with 3 os on 3 hhd or ssd, but for now I`m quite happy with my little brick :P
3 SSDs for the operating systems would be awesome (but definitely more expensive).

leoian
Banned
Banned

#29 Post by leoian »

ticoun wrote:
leoian wrote:

3 SSDs for the operating systems would be awesome (but definitely more expensive).
I already have some ssd on my laptop, but it's expensive that's true but doing a mix of hhd and ssd is a nice option.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#30 Post by Tygron »

From things i've heard and just ideas on protecting my own [censored]. Use an SSD for the speed, two in RAID 0 if you're insane and want more speed from already fast speeds. THEN get a couple HDD's to be a clone of those. So if your SSD's break (and in RAID 0 you're screwed if one breaks) you still have all your data.

Which reminds me. I need to get another WD Caviar 1TB Black drive.