Replacing In-game Music

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

ZNickel
Apprentice

Replacing In-game Music

#1 Post by ZNickel »

I'm just wondering whether you can change the in-game music in a game? In particularly changing the in-game music of Sonic: Generations with Dragonforce. Thanks in advance.
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Replacing In-game Music

#2 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Oh, I don't know. I spend a crapton of time looking through the game files of various games, so if you find any of the songs there, then I guess you could just switch them. Thing is, most of the really big games probably have their audio fixed in some inaccessible place; you'd have to be a game developer to know what to do.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by SirSlaughter »

I believe you have to find the file and replace it with your file. But you must make sure your file is the exact same format as the last. Then make sure you renamed it to the file you got rid of. Also as you do this, save that old music file so in case it doesn't work just put it back.

I know of people who try this, but certain games won't play it anyway. Such as minecraft. I am not sure if anybody was able to change the music for the records, but to my knowledge you just can't do it. Then again, last time I checked about that was a long time ago. So maybe someone already did it.

bigro
Grand Templar

#4 Post by bigro »

depends on if the game is checking for the file with the music files in it. Or the music files themselves.

I mean, if it's just looking for the folder then it's a case of just replacing music. If it's looking for specific files then good luck with that.

(I would say with your case it is looking for a specific file as it needs a specific track for a specific level. if it was say a more sandbox type game it might just have a folder it picks from randomly)

Alternatively, have you tried muting the music and playing your own? S:P

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by EvilNinjadude »

bigro wrote:Alternatively, have you tried muting the music and playing your own? S:P
If you wanna be like that, you can, but seriously inserting the music into the files and having it play on cue (or randomly) through the game just makes you feel like a god, doesn't it?

ZNickel
Apprentice

#6 Post by ZNickel »

EvilNinjadude wrote:
bigro wrote:Alternatively, have you tried muting the music and playing your own? S:P
If you wanna be like that, you can, but seriously inserting the music into the files and having it play on cue (or randomly) through the game just makes you feel like a god, doesn't it?
Plus, it would make me really happy to hear Through the Fire and Flames in a Sonic game. :flora:
Seriously, why hasn't Sega contacted DragonForce for the Soundtrack yet?
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”