Windows 8

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Windows 8

#16 Post by Nazarov »

In short win8 with this metro and other annoying things is too complicated. In the metro start page there are a lot of unnecessary menus like shop and others. Win7 is simpler and user-friendly that's the main reason why I think it's better.

ZNickel
Apprentice

#17 Post by ZNickel »

Actually, I've just had an idea! I think I might buy another 2TB drive for my PC and install Ubuntu on that one!
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by Nazarov »

Another 2TB? :D Good for you.
I have 1TB and I used my old 180GB IDE hdd for backups in a mobile rack but my new motherboard doesn't have an IDE slot so I'm planning to buy this so I can connect it with usb.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#19 Post by avwolf »

I've got a buddy who put Windows 8 on a tablet PC and loves it. The multitouch support is much better than it was on Win7, and some of the new tablet and phone-oriented aspects of Metro are, admittedly, pretty cool. I don't personally feel like Metro looks like a good replacement for the desktop and start menu on a traditional PC, but they really do work well with a touch screen.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#20 Post by EvilNinjadude »

avwolf wrote:I've got a buddy who put Windows 8 on a tablet PC and loves it. The multitouch support is much better than it was on Win7, and some of the new tablet and phone-oriented aspects of Metro are, admittedly, pretty cool. I don't personally feel like Metro looks like a good replacement for the desktop and start menu on a traditional PC, but they really do work well with a touch screen.
Yup. It's good for people who don't use Traditional PCs.

I love my traditional PC. Ain't nobody gonna take it away from me.

ZNickel
Apprentice

#21 Post by ZNickel »

:eric: Well, traditional PCs will probably not die out for a long time, seeing they have been called "the Console Killer".
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

Razmoudah
Merchant

#22 Post by Razmoudah »

Aside from the insane amount of system resources used by it I haven't had that much trouble with Vista on my laptop, the motherboard going bad has been a much bigger issue (and I doubt I'll get a chance to replace it this year), and it's the only computer I've ran Vista on. It's not that horrid, once you learn its quirks, but its hardly a great OS. I didn't know jack about Windows 8 before this thread, and from what I've read I doubt I'm going to use it myself anytime soon. My parents are having to replace their tower, the motherboard died last week, and my brother has been wanting them to go with Windows 8, even though he hasn't used it, but I won't recommend anything that I haven't used myself. I am planning on using Windows 7 Ultimate for my next laptop, but my desktop is staying with Ubuntu. I hadn't heard that Steam was going Ubuntu, and if it wasn't such a nightmare trying to build my own laptop and the challenge of trying to keep a Linux system with Windows emulators that can handle the latest games I probably wouldn't have a Windows system after I replace my current laptop. Also, my Lilith-rin is just using her integrated vid card, and only has 2 GB of RAM, so even though it sounds like Steam will be compatible with her I doubt I'll run it on her (that and I don't have the space for a dual-monitor setup, which would change my opinion on things quite a bit since I keep my FAQ/Walkthroughs on her).

*edit*I also forgot to mention that I expect to stay with 'traditional' PC's until I'm nearly one of the last ones using one.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#23 Post by SirSlaughter »

wait, steam not running on that? Steam is merely a client. it can run on virtually any machine. Same for some of Valve's oldest games. And Other than replacing the CPU, you can't really "build" your own laptop.

As for choosing windows 7 over 8, just do 7. You said you liked Vista, You will love 7. It's as if they took XP and it made a child with Vista and only the good stuff came from it.

And yes, steam is starting to gather a few games that support linux. There was a new game that was just recently greenlit that is to be made with Ubuntu users in mind.

As a matter of fact it would be this game: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=

if you notice on the right hand side a little below the video/pictures you can see this: "Platforms: PC, mac, Linux"

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#24 Post by EvilNinjadude »

SirSlaughter wrote:Other than replacing the CPU, you can't really "build" your own laptop.
If he tried, he'd have to be a professional. Either that, or his description of it as a "nightmare" would be an understatement.