Windows 8

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster

Windows 8

#1 Post by Nazarov »

So anyone tried it? If yes then what do you think about it?

I can get it free from Dreamspark MSDNAA ( thanks to college ). At the moment I'm downloading the x64 version and I'll also download the x86. I'm planning to install the x86 to my laptop and if I'll like it then maybe I'll install the x64 to my PC.
At computer network class the teacher was very excited about it. He used it on his laptop and he said that "It boots very fast and use less memory than win 7 blah blah blah" He was so enthusiastic that I thought he will ask it out for a date :D

Well at the moment here the time is 19:01 so I'll install it to my laptop tomorrow. When I'm done I'll share my first thoughts and experiences.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Windows 8

#2 Post by EvilNinjadude »

I only heard about the bad stuff. Like the app store. I do not see any problems with the way Windows 7 is working at the moment, and I don't need a smartphone/tablet interface for my PC.

What can I say, I like my desktop with everything on it. If I ever rebuild my Desktop, I might put the trial on there just to try it out...
If I don't like it, I'll buy my own copy of Windows 7 for it.

Won't have anyone saying I'm old and narrow-minded. I'm willing to try it for myself before I pass final judgment.

Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by Nazarov »

I'm very satisfied with win7. I'll try the 8 on the laptop but I don't want to reinstal the OS on my PC at the moment because I did it 1 month ago ( new motherboard and CPU ).
Moreover I hate reinstall the OS because after it I need to install hundreads of programs and so on.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Nazarov wrote:I'm very satisfied with win7. I'll try the 8 on the laptop but I don't want to reinstal the OS on my PC at the moment because I did it 1 month ago ( new motherboard and CPU ).
Moreover I hate reinstall the OS because after it I need to install hundreads of programs and so on.
Exactly that. That's why I don't want to reinstall right now.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by RobbieThe1st »

A, dual-booting is your friend. Use it wisely.

B, meh. Windows 8 does not interest me with it's Metro crap. Windows 7 is OK, and does the job well enough, for Windows that is.
But I'm going to be running Linux on my own machines for the forseeable future, so...

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by SirSlaughter »

windows 8. The EA of OS. The Tyrannical dictator of the DRM governed future. The scourge of all true PC gamers and heavy application users around the world. Oh sorry did I just try to burst your bubble? Well prepare for some more.

Granted the boot time is great. I have heard with an SSD it's almost impossible for you to get into your BIOS because the boost time is so fast that you can't spam the right button in time to configure your system, But a great boot time is amazing nonetheless. However, like I said, heavy OCers and such can't use it well for that same reason.

Now with the applications and such. This is made for touch screen comps. Come on. Look at it. The metro design actually sucks for me. no fun UI customization of my choice. that will be changed in the future when PC modders and such fix that with their own UI mods. But anyway, still looks like utter crap.

They are pushing this as a PC gaming platform. HAHAHAHA...no. They want, or are trying to push, for every game developer having to go through their own service and system to get their games out there. Meaning that either steam won't work with their new "gaming" platform and that developers need to pay microsoft just to make their games. This also means that many and I mean MANY devs are just gonna boycott it. Notch, valve, and many many others have voiced their opinion over this and are very concerned.

Will I pick it up? No.
Do I like it? no.
Do I see a future with this? No.

has anyone else noticed the pattern of OS releases?

Good-Bad-Good-Bad-Good-KILL IT WITH FIRE-Good-Bad.

Vista was Kill it with fire and so was M.E. I do believe that this will be another one of those OS's that will stain the computer world as a zit upon the face of technology.
With that said, valve is pushing developers to turn Linux to a gaming OS. If you check steam Greenlight there were a few games that will be supported on Linux for those of you lie Robbie whom love their Ubuntu, I can say you should be excited.

The only problem is gonna be that if you can't seem to get the game to work it's more or less all on you to fix the problem. The only real issue with open source software.

Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Nazarov »

I just now finished installing it to my laptop.
First thoughts:
-wow it already installed and I haven't finished the main story quest in GW2. ( I played with it on PC while the laptop installed )
-wtf is this? (metro and navigation) Where is the shut down button?
-The boot is really fast.
-The interface is weird and unusual. ( usually I don't like changes )
-The task manager is better and it showns more details

It clearly seen that this os is designed for touchscreens and it's not better than win7 just different for the sake of tablets and other non PC devices. It will be good for my laptop because it's weaker than my PC and a better running is good thing but I won't install it to my pc. (I didn't want it anyway.) For games the 7 is perfect and all in all It looks better and I love it.
SirSlaughter wrote: Oh sorry did I just try to burst your bubble?
You don't burst it I was already skeptical about it. :)
SirSlaughter wrote: has anyone else noticed the pattern of OS releases?

Good-Bad-Good-Bad-Good-KILL IT WITH FIRE-Good-Bad.
Yup I noticed it and it's so true! Thank god I never tried the Vista I only saw it at one of my friends PC.

I don't like the 8, I knew that this will be my opinion but at least I tried it.
Win7<3

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by EvilNinjadude »

That's what I was referring to: I've been hearing some bad things about it.

Let's hope against hope that all this will change before I pick up the beta. Not gonna buy a full version anytime soon though.

One GOOD point of Windows 8: Windows 7 will become older. And, if it follows ANY trend, cheaper. Hell yeah.

Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by Nazarov »

At least I can get the full 8 and 7 professional for free so it worth the try :D
I'm using win7 since it's release. It was a big change because I used XP before 7. It's the best Windows so far and I want to use it for years.

bigro
Grand Templar

#10 Post by bigro »

maaaan, xp is still good in my books.

Anyway, win8 is hilarious. It's just a good thing steam is porting to linux (or ubuntu at least) so no worries there. Really, the good-bad system must be profitable because well why else would they do it?

Nazarov
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by Nazarov »

Of course XP is still good but it's 11 years old. Schools usually use it in computer labs. Here in my college most of the PCs use XP only a few labs have strong PCs with win7.

ZNickel
Apprentice

#12 Post by ZNickel »

I've been considering taking one more step in the direction of what I like to call the 'Linux Singularity', which is where everything is using some sort of Linux based OS (including Android). Steam being available on Ubuntu is definitely a pro on moving from Windows to Linux.

On the topic of Windows 8, I think it's like what Android did for Honeycomb, where they try and make a specific version for Phones/Tablets and one for PCs then unify them in the next version.
SirSlaughter wrote:Vista was Kill it with fire
Hmmm... It seems, I was the only one that ever had a good version of Vista. :redhair: I had Vista on my first laptop and it ran pretty smoothly, and that's with Acer Crapware as well.
EvilNinjaDude wrote:One GOOD point of Windows 8: Windows 7 will become older. And, if it follows ANY trend, cheaper. Hell yeah.
Well that's great news! :karen: I maybe be able to upgrade my Win7 to a better version! However, I think the trend will be broken this time because I think alot of people are going to stick with 7 because from what a friend told me, it's really bad.
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by EvilNinjadude »

ZNickel wrote:
EvilNinjaDude wrote:One GOOD point of Windows 8: Windows 7 will become older. And, if it follows ANY trend, cheaper. Hell yeah.
Well that's great news! :karen: I maybe be able to upgrade my Win7 to a better version! However, I think the trend will be broken this time because I think alot of people are going to stick with 7 because from what a friend told me, it's really bad.
What, Windows 8 or Windows 7? :P

ZNickel
Apprentice

#14 Post by ZNickel »

EvilNinjadude wrote:
ZNickel wrote:
What, Windows 8 or Windows 7? :P
Windows 8.
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#15 Post by SirSlaughter »

I had an ok experience with vista, but then again. I didn't know as much as I do now about computers. The way Vista ran, it was very taxing on your computer and not made too well. Windows 7 takes up less memory and usage just like XP did but it keeps the good parts of vista. Now with windows 8, it's all about pulling an EA and trying to monopolise the way the OS works and the way that developers have to go through Microsoft and pay to get their games on that OS. It hasn't happened yet, But microsoft has thrown it on the table and this is why so many devs are starting to go towards ubuntu. If you check the greenlight on Steam you can see a few games are gonna be made available for it.

I actually am looking forward to that. I just have to see about clearing my computer and resetting it. I've been having slight issues with my 100+ games all up in here. So much data. I really need an SSD.

But anyway, for all of you, I suggest skipping this one just like so many people skipped vista. I know a few guys who more or less have skipped 7, but once they see how bad 8 is they will come around and assimilate. Bwahahaha