Gaming/School/3D Rendering/ anything else Laptop?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

ZNickel
Apprentice

Re: Gaming/School/3D Rendering/ anything else Laptop?

#16 Post by ZNickel »

Specs look astounding. But one thing I would recommend with Asus brand Laptops is to completely wipe it when you get it. A friend of mine bought an Asus and it was just full of Asus-own-brand junk programs and they slowed it down. So if you can format the hard drive and load a new copy of Win7 on it.
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

Tygron
Notakitty!

#17 Post by Tygron »

Yea it is full of bloatware. But some of it is nice because of some of the things the laptop does. After doing a clean win 7 install on mine (by accident kinda) I lost function to the little screen on the keyboard telling me battery life and stuff and my light control for the lights on the back. Minor stuff really. Oh and my webcam is now upside down, but plays at a faster FPS. I believe this is because something was in there flipping each image over, making it think more and slowing down the frame rate of the camera that was visible.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#18 Post by SirSlaughter »

ZNickel wrote:Specs look astounding. But one thing I would recommend with Asus brand Laptops is to completely wipe it when you get it. A friend of mine bought an Asus and it was just full of Asus-own-brand junk programs and they slowed it down. So if you can format the hard drive and load a new copy of Win7 on it.

...are you serious? So (correct me if I am wrong...please tell me I am wrong with my interpretation of your post) You want me to completely format the HDD and buy a new windows 7 to upload it with? My mind is full of [censored].

I have an Asus Maximus Gene V motherboard for my desktop right now. What did i do? I put every single asus program that came with that sucker on it. I have found a use for every single one. I could probably do without the internet speed thing seeing as it doesn't give me more megs just more dedicated internet to my games. But yeah the Asus Suite programs are great in my opinion. And even if I did hate them, all I would have to do is some uninstallation and deleting. No need for a full system wipe and re installation of my OS. Once again if I am wrong with my interpretation tell me. Then again...I do have a rather long startup time. Time for an SSD.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#19 Post by aj »

SirSlaughter wrote:
ZNickel wrote:Specs look astounding. But one thing I would recommend with Asus brand Laptops is to completely wipe it when you get it. A friend of mine bought an Asus and it was just full of Asus-own-brand junk programs and they slowed it down. So if you can format the hard drive and load a new copy of Win7 on it.

...are you serious? So (correct me if I am wrong...please tell me I am wrong with my interpretation of your post) You want me to completely format the HDD and buy a new windows 7 to upload it with? My mind is full of [censored].

I have an Asus Maximus Gene V motherboard for my desktop right now. What did i do? I put every single asus program that came with that sucker on it. I have found a use for every single one. I could probably do without the internet speed thing seeing as it doesn't give me more megs just more dedicated internet to my games. But yeah the Asus Suite programs are great in my opinion. And even if I did hate them, all I would have to do is some uninstallation and deleting. No need for a full system wipe and re installation of my OS. Once again if I am wrong with my interpretation tell me. Then again...I do have a rather long startup time. Time for an SSD.
Motherboard =/= laptop.

With a motherboard, you're choosing what programs to install, because you install a clean copy of Windows. But with a laptop, 99% of the time it'll come with loads of preloaded software, most of which will be unusable - eg. 30 day trial of Norton or McAfee. You can uninstall everything you don't want, but with the time & effort for hunting down stuff (I've never, not once had a McAfee product uninstall fully) and the likely incomplete uninstalls and general detritus left behind, you're better off reinstalling Windows, using the product key that's stuck to the bottom of your laptop.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#20 Post by SirSlaughter »

aj wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:

Motherboard =/= laptop.

With a motherboard, you're choosing what programs to install, because you install a clean copy of Windows. But with a laptop, 99% of the time it'll come with loads of preloaded software, most of which will be unusable - eg. 30 day trial of Norton or McAfee. You can uninstall everything you don't want, but with the time & effort for hunting down stuff (I've never, not once had a McAfee product uninstall fully) and the likely incomplete uninstalls and general detritus left behind, you're better off reinstalling Windows, using the product key that's stuck to the bottom of your laptop.
Ok I got it now, I still find it a bit much for a whole system wipe for a few programs. SO much work for a few programs, unless of course you bought from a retailer and they had so much crap on there it's pretty much your only choice.

XanderK9
Apprentice

#21 Post by XanderK9 »

Quite frankly, it's not "that" bad. Just remove what you don't need and run something like ccleaner.
- Kupo ! -
Myself on DA - http://hal1989.deviantart.com/

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#22 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Personally, I agree about reformatting - It's typically a good idea; you can download a Windows 7 ISO easily, burn it to disk, and then when you reinstall you use the license key on the bottom of your PC, so you have a legit install.
Sure, it takes a few hours, but it gets rid of all the annoying stuff seemingly all laptop manufacturers add.
The only time I haven't done that is on my current laptop, but that had already been formatted and a minimum clean install put on it when I bought it used.

ZNickel
Apprentice

#23 Post by ZNickel »

The only reason I haven't formatted my own Laptop hard drive, with my current laptop at least, is because it didn't come with any crapware at all. :keith: I'm not pulling your leg, I bought the thing from a retailer as well! But trust me, Asus and Acer (my previous choice in Laptop brand) are the worst when it comes to crapware. Took me several tries to get my laptop working properly and then it died. That's why I bought a new one from MSI, by recommedation and it had zero crapware.
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

XanderK9
Apprentice

#24 Post by XanderK9 »

Since I remove these in new computers at regular basis, I notice that the number of crapware in computers is getting lower these days (or now being in package instead, like games). I remember I had to remove almost nothing in Lenovo and Sony, having to remove a medium load in HP, Toshiba, Samsung and Asus and a tad more with Acer, with some that is taking forever to uninstall and it seems they have started to add more crap with recent models. I do not recall having to remove anything in MSI computers, so I guess I can agree. :P

However, HP desktops have the horrible tendency to have a crapload of useless things, especially when it's about touch programs. It baffles me when I see eBay and Facebook being shown in the Programs list, having an uninstall shield and it's just web links! On top of that, it's the only manufacturer I saw this far that only allows you to burn a single set of recovery discs and refuse any future attempts.
- Kupo ! -
Myself on DA - http://hal1989.deviantart.com/

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by TheDragonfiend »

Just buy anything from origin if it doesnt cost more than $4k then theres something wrong XD

But legit origin is alienware before dell took it over (seriously its made up of ex alienware employees)

Anyway assuming you use the lowest settings most laptops should run any game these days as long as they have a graphics card... it just depends on your standards
ImageImageImage

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#26 Post by SirSlaughter »

TheDragonfiend wrote:Just buy anything from origin if it doesnt cost more than $4k then theres something wrong XD

But legit origin is alienware before dell took it over (seriously its made up of ex alienware employees)

Anyway assuming you use the lowest settings most laptops should run any game these days as long as they have a graphics card... it just depends on your standards

Sorry I admit it, I am a serious Graphics whore. I used to play everything either on my xbox or one the lowest settings on my laptop, But then I got my hands on a slightly more powerful laptop and then I got my desktop...can't go back. I'm spoiled.

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#27 Post by TheDragonfiend »

SirSlaughter wrote:
TheDragonfiend wrote:Just buy anything from origin if it doesnt cost more than $4k then theres something wrong XD

Sorry I admit it, I am a serious Graphics whore. I used to play everything either on my xbox or one the lowest settings on my laptop, But then I got my hands on a slightly more powerful laptop and then I got my desktop...can't go back. I'm spoiled.
XD I grew up on 800*600 and lowest settings for any game i play so i have a very low standard... Luckily this is a good thing as im impressed graphics wise no matter what XD
ImageImageImage

ZNickel
Apprentice

#28 Post by ZNickel »

TheDragonfiend wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:

XD I grew up on 800*600 and lowest settings for any game i play so i have a very low standard... Luckily this is a good thing as im impressed graphics wise no matter what XD
What about Minecraft? :keith:

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#29 Post by SirSlaughter »

ZNickel wrote:
TheDragonfiend wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:

MY EYES.Gif

What about Minecraft? :keith:

as for the low rez: I grew up with that too, But like I said I have played os many games at 1080P and max graphics including 16 to 32 AA (different kinds, FXAA, CSAA, TXAA, Blah blahAA) And I am spoiled.
And as for minecraft: Have you seen a 256X256? Or the 512X512. I like those.