FPS slowdown

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: FPS slowdown

#16 Post by SirSlaughter »

OK it can't be RAM, All the memory in the RAM gets wiped every time you shut down right? Or was i if you didn't have RAM...Can't remember but after what you said it shouldn't be RAM. I would highly suggest running a program or two to optimize your computer. Advanced system care is one of the best free (or paid if you want the pro) tune up program on the market. See what happens after you do the full deep care with defrag and restart your system. Then try out a few games/programs and I think it might help you out. Unless you already have done this and now I am back to square one where I blame your CPU Bottle necking your card. Unless the problem could be the Motherboards you have. You may have just gotten a few bad boards in a row. This is not uncommon to happen to people. Electronics are such delicate and picky Items sometimes.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#17 Post by aj »

SirSlaughter wrote:OK it can't be RAM, All the memory in the RAM gets wiped every time you shut down right?
The contents of the RAM will get lost when you shut down because RAM needs power to store information. However, the RAM chip itself could go bad - information stored in it would be corrupted, and your computer wouldn't necessarily die because of it, particularly if it's an area of RAM that doesn't normally get used (i.e. in a 12GB system, somewhere in the last GB.)

This is in general, not specific to your problem Tyg (I've got limited battery life on my laptop right now), but any slowdowns I would look first at the GPU, then at drivers, then at the CPU.

For GPU, run Furmark - http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/, then check your graphics card result against what other people are reporting. +/- 10% is normal, anything else is suspicious.
Regardless of it the result is suspicious, update the graphics card drivers, but make a note of your current driver version so you can restore. Alternatively, uninstall the drivers and let Windows download the latest Microsoft certified ones. They tend to be older versions, so performance is worse, but they should have gone through 2 rounds of testing.
For the CPU, Prime95 is pretty common - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

If you want to test your RAM, memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org is what I use.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Tygron
Notakitty!

#18 Post by Tygron »

I've heard Furmark is a rather bad thing to run. Though this is from one person, and if it's so bad why do so many people use it.

I already have the latest certified drivers, I have the NVidia control panel check every day. Just manually checked and it says there's no updates. I already ran a Prime 95 test, but it was only for a few minutes and not a problem was had. So I dunno. I might check that ram test just to be sure. But i'm more than certain none of my games come anywhere near filling up the ram at any given time. I have 8 GB. The problem isn't constant though and I don't really have a way to just let it run for a few days to stress it that way.

I'm also going to say I don't believe it to be my hard drive, because the mobo AND the hard drive was changed during my last upgrade. I suppose it's possible, but it shouldn't be fragmented at all. I did copy over most of the old hard drive, because I wanted to save stuff. But I reinstalled all my games from scratch. And it's across every game when it happens. I just happen to be playing Blacklight a bunch as of late.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#19 Post by aj »

Furmark is something that will test your GPU extremely hard. Sometimes it'll cause your card to exceed the specs in terms of power draw or temperature.

But that's part of the point, it's designed as a stress test that's (almost) entirely GPU bound, so it should only stress test your graphics card.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Tygron
Notakitty!

#20 Post by Tygron »

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11066437/compu ... 20crap.png
Here's what i'm getting right now. I was going to play some Planetside 2 when I was getting 10 FPS (which is actually sometimes normal for PS2... but this was gamewide and on the menu's too) so I opened Tribes which is my usual "this is how many FPS i'm getting" because it's the fastest and easiest to work with for that.
I'm going to get furmark and see what it tells me, along with running prime 95 a bit.

EDIT: Furmark doing the 1080p benchmark test during this slowdown. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11066437/Furmark%20score.png
Prime 95 after running it for 5 minutes says no problems. I know that's a rather short test but meh. If the CPU was the problem I probably wouldn't have been able to use the computer at all while doing that test along with also having errors. So I guess it's my gpu at this point. Great. I was hoping to spend my money on something else this next paycheck.
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#21 Post by SirSlaughter »

You can send me that GPU if you aren't gonna use it no mores... 8D

But anyway, I would just try out a friends GPU (if they let you). I still blame that CPU. But then again, you used to run just fine even with it. Bah! I'm lost on this. Let's hope if you replace your GPU it will all go away. But look at the good side. Nvidia released all their 600 cards. So you could even get a 650 for $100 (don't do it, not powerful and half the size) or I would say the 660Ti. The 660 may be cheaper but the performance was lacking for me so the Ti is more appealing.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#22 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Tygron pls I must play Planetside 2 on lowest settings in order to be able to hold a crosshair over a TOWER, not to mention an enemy. 10FPS is something I pray for when I hope nobody is watching.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#23 Post by Tygron »

SirSlaughter wrote:You can send me that GPU if you aren't gonna use it no mores... 8D

But anyway, I would just try out a friends GPU (if they let you). I still blame that CPU. But then again, you used to run just fine even with it. Bah! I'm lost on this. Let's hope if you replace your GPU it will all go away. But look at the good side. Nvidia released all their 600 cards. So you could even get a 650 for $100 (don't do it, not powerful and half the size) or I would say the 660Ti. The 660 may be cheaper but the performance was lacking for me so the Ti is more appealing.
Actually i was already thinking of going with the MSI's GTX 660Ti Power Edition. I mean of course I would love a 670 or 680 or i'd fricken love a 690. But the price for the 660Ti Power Edition is high enough, and overclocked it gets right up there with the 670 or a bit higher. I forget.
I would use a friends card, but no one I know has any spare cards for me to try. The only one I could ask would be Snow but I don't want to rip his out and replace it with mine. He does have the exact same model of 550Ti I have though. But he plays games more than I do and he'd kill me if he had to restart his computer to fix his slowdown problem. But then I would know for sure it's the problem.
EvilNinjadude wrote:Tygron pls I must play Planetside 2 on lowest settings in order to be able to hold a crosshair over a TOWER, not to mention an enemy. 10FPS is something I pray for when I hope nobody is watching.
Normally i'm getting at least 30 sometimes 15 when things get really massive. But this was seemingly worse than a normal 10 fps. Even when the game is getting 10 FPS the menu's and stuff usually run buttery smooth, when this slowdown happens everything lags. Even in games where normally i'm getting a constant 56 FPS I drop to 9. League of Legends? I normally get a constant 60. When i'm getting a max of 8 there's a real big problem. Planetside needs a lot of fixes in the performance department, it's not that pretty of a game for people able to run some of todays most demanding games on max and get really [censored] performance.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#24 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Keep in mind the game IS an MMO, and the zones are not phased. Working and showing all the Vehicles, players and Bullets AND the whole zone...
It's mostly an Issue with ALL my hardware. CPU in particular, and I have a laptop (you know what that means for graphics). So it's a little of both that are causing my FPS problems.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#25 Post by Tygron »

It's actually not drawing everything at once though. The map eventually drops off somewhere, I know they can't be drawing the entire map at once. Players and vehicles are also nonexistant unless you're near them, have you been in a jet and suddenly see 5 aircraft appear in the air? I have. So not eveything is being loaded at the same time, just like most mmo's. But the things around you are, and the more there is around you the worse it gets. Kinda feel bad about the game though, I just got a message as I signed on saying the devs were working hard and were calling their significant others to say they won't be home for dinner...

But anyway, yea. Tried furmark today and got 14 to 16 FPS. But my games are running nicely. So I dunno. But i'm still planning on upgrading to the 660Ti. I just hope I can wait a bit for the processor.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#26 Post by SirSlaughter »

I have the 560Ti and I can pull 60+ frames on every single game out right now at fully maxed out settings. Minus maybe crysis 2 and probably borderlands 2 when I get it set up. Oh yeah I picked that up today. No really, I would not mind that graphics card if it truly is your problem... :D

But yeah MMOs don't render everything at once. Otherwise all MMO games would do as well as Conan. Absolutely beautiful game when it came out but only high spec PCs could even attempt to run it. This meant that no one bought it as they were mostly in the same predicament. Low end PC/Laptop and couldn't afford nice fancy pieces. So yeah maybe it's time for an upgrade then. I know I would shoot myself in the kneecaps if I was getting those frames. I admit it, I am not only a graphics whore but if I start lagging that bad I go crazy.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#27 Post by Tygron »

Dunno what you'd do with a 550Ti with your 560Ti. You can't SLI those. I was thinking actually, of getting Snow a new mobo (provided his Dell's case could fit this... probably not I think it's mATX) that supports SLI and giving it to him. But then i'm not sure how an unreliable card would fare in SLI. I'll probably just keep it around for whatever.

I'm not a graphics whore so much as long as my FPS allows me to play games. I only really started wanting to build a desktop after I used a real gaming machine for Tribes... then I realized I did so much better when I wasn't fighting the computer along with the people playing. But if I can do it i'd like to have smexy graphics to go with my nice FPS. That'd be good.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#28 Post by Lief »

He could run the 550Ti as a PhysX card, but SLI wouldn't work.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#29 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Tygron wrote:Dunno what you'd do with a 550Ti with your 560Ti. You can't SLI those. I was thinking actually, of getting Snow a new mobo (provided his Dell's case could fit this... probably not I think it's mATX) that supports SLI and giving it to him. But then i'm not sure how an unreliable card would fare in SLI. I'll probably just keep it around for whatever.

I'm not a graphics whore so much as long as my FPS allows me to play games. I only really started wanting to build a desktop after I used a real gaming machine for Tribes... then I realized I did so much better when I wasn't fighting the computer along with the people playing. But if I can do it i'd like to have smexy graphics to go with my nice FPS. That'd be good.
I got my first proper kill in Planetside 2... at Gamescom. Yep. No points for guessing why.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Hm... Nothing appears wrong in your screenshots aside from the slowdowns.

Could you give me a screenshot of the task manager performance tab when it's slowing down?

That being said, I'd be willing to bet GPU more than anything(FurMark doesn't take much CPU at all), but it doesn't seem to be overheating. You've got a Nvidia card, though, so open up the Nvidia control panel, and go to the tab/location where you can see clock speeds and temps. With that open, launch FurMark, run it in a window so you can see the Nvidia control panel, and watch what happens.
I'd be interested to see before/after slowdown, and if -- upon a reboot -- you can make it go into the "slow" mode via FurMark.