Network Storage Buffer

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

ZNickel
Apprentice

Network Storage Buffer

#1 Post by ZNickel »

I have a pretty standard setup in my house, having at anyone time 3 Desktops, and 3 Laptops. I also have an external Hard Drive hooked up to my Desktop; sometimes I need to transfer files from my Desktop to my Laptop, can I set up a sort of buffer on my Hard Drive that when it sees my Laptop on the network that it'll automatically transfer the files that are in the buffer to my laptop?

Further Explanation:
As in I put the files from my Desktop into the Buffer and when my Laptop connects to the network the files are automatically transfered.
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Network Storage Buffer

#2 Post by SirSlaughter »

i have 3 suggestions. One of them being a dropbox. Granted you have to pay for anything more than 2gb so that is probably a no go seeing as you said you have a whole eternal. Well here is another way. If you have windows 7 there is a home network file sharing solution that comes with it. You just have to set it up and all the computers on your network will have access to the files so long as they are on I believe. Or if you want you can also have hamachi. You can set up a home network with hamachi and have your most used computers connected that way. Then you just go to your computer then click on network and you will have access to any computers that are connected. So long as you have them set up properly for this purpose. Now granted they do not instantly update all computers on the spot to my knowledge (dropbox does but once again you have to pay a yearly gee for anything more than 2 gigs).

So that's what i got so far but if i find anything else I will update. Hope this helped.

ZNickel
Apprentice

#3 Post by ZNickel »

The external is networked... all the computers have access to it as long as my computer is up and running. What I'm talking about is having a folder on the hard drive that syncs with a folder on my Laptop.
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#4 Post by aj »

It's not automated, but SyncToy and its alternatives look like it might help.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by RobbieThe1st »

The sync thing is your best bet; though it'd be a "pull" not a "push" - your laptop would check for the harddrive on the network, and copy files over when needed.
That being said, you /need/ to have your desktop harddrive setup as a shared folder, so you can drag+drop files. Not sure if you have it already, but if not that'd be the first step(share the folder on the desktop, then browse the network for it on the laptop, make a shortcut).