Installing alternate OS on an iPod Nano

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

ZNickel
Apprentice

Installing alternate OS on an iPod Nano

#1 Post by ZNickel »

This summer I'm going to Africa on an expedition with my school, but don't want to take an expensive, brand new phone with me, but I still want to listen to music while I'm there. I have an old iPod Nano 4G and I was wondering whether I can install an alternate OS on it to turn it into a basic music player where I can drag and drop files just like on a pen drive. The reason I don't want to use the default OS on it is because I'd have to use iTunes and that snarky little program broke my previous computer when I uninstalled it. So is this possible?
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

Re: Installing alternate OS on an iPod Nano

#2 Post by aj »

Nope. But look at programs like winamp that interface with the iPod. It won't be drag and drop, but it doesn't depend on iTunes.

Otherwise, getting a cheap one from craigslist or simikar might be your best bet.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

alex3192
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by alex3192 »

actually, try Sharepod, I have a 4G Nano too and I've just stuck sharepod on the root of it with an autorun file, so when I plug in the ipod I can mess with the music anywhere.
It doesn't have a shop or anything, and the features are nothing compared to Itunes, but it does let you dump all the music from your 'Pod, AND it doesn't go all crashy crashy or take as long to load. (normally it throws an error at you if a 'Pod isn't plugged in, but if you just leave it on the pod, it can't do that now can it? :P )

I was thinking of flashing mine with another OS(like linux WOOT) but I really don't want to risk that it won't work anymore, and I wouldn't be able to play any encrypted music etc, music that I haven't figured out how to decrypt without wasting a CD yet.
Massage body:
Enter your massage here, it may contain no less than 60000 kneads.

etam
Apprentice

#4 Post by etam »

Have a look at freemyipod.org

leoian
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by leoian »

I've heard of the possibilities to install, a linux core on the new Ipod nano.

http://home.gna.org/linux4nano/
:flora: