Creating a forum

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

Creating a forum

#1 Post by Sebbie »

Hi guys, I have a question to ask. Some of my classmates and I are planning a lecture series this summer, and we'd like to have a place online where we can discuss things. A forum sounded perfect, but I know little about creating them. So, I'd like to ask: does anyone know if there are any "pre-made" forum templates that someone can just grab and use? How hard are they to implement? Can someone who isn't all that computer-savvy (like me) do it? Any pointers you guys can give would be appreciated!
PhycoKrusk wrote:especially Alaric who, without all that fur, I imagine is ripped
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

Re: Creating a forum

#2 Post by aj »

Sebbie wrote:Hi guys, I have a question to ask. Some of my classmates and I are planning a lecture series this summer, and we'd like to have a place online where we can discuss things. A forum sounded perfect, but I know little about creating them. So, I'd like to ask: does anyone know if there are any "pre-made" forum templates that someone can just grab and use? How hard are they to implement? Can someone who isn't all that computer-savvy (like me) do it? Any pointers you guys can give would be appreciated!
Well, this forum runs on phpBB. That's the forum software, and what I think you're referring to when you say template. (If you mean theme templates, this forum is using the default themes, just as a point of reference.)

As for setting it up a forum, I think it's straight forward, so you might be better served by hosts like Dreamhost and bluehost which have 'one-click setup' options.

Of course, this costs money, so there's a bunch of ad-supported hosts which will give you a free forum in exchange for letting people see the ads.

I've had an account with Dreamhost for the last 6 or so years, so I'm biased, but I'd personally think that a hosted site would be better than a free forum because it looks better without ads, you have more control, and you get a domain where you can host a site (so have pages on each lectures with embedded video from Youtube, copies of the lecture slides, notes and such), rather than strictly focus on forums.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

bigro
Grand Templar

#3 Post by bigro »

Sebbie wrote:Hi guys, I have a question to ask. Some of my classmates and I are planning a lecture series this summer, and we'd like to have a place online where we can discuss things. A forum sounded perfect, but I know little about creating them. So, I'd like to ask: does anyone know if there are any "pre-made" forum templates that someone can just grab and use? How hard are they to implement? Can someone who isn't all that computer-savvy (like me) do it? Any pointers you guys can give would be appreciated!
If it's just a forum you want...

Forumotion is good (more customizable I believe.)
As is proboards (Has yt embedding.)

There have got to be at least fifty places that host forums :\ these two just spring to mind quickly. These are free, do have ads (as in small banners up the top ads, not popups) that any good adblock program will eliminate and....yeah. That's about all I've got to say really.

Hope this helps? :)

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

#4 Post by Sebbie »

That helped; thanks a lot! I ended up going with Forumotion. In fact, because I'm using it for "Higher Education," I get it without ads for free, so it all works out :)
PhycoKrusk wrote:especially Alaric who, without all that fur, I imagine is ripped
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

bigro
Grand Templar

#5 Post by bigro »

Well how about that :| you learn something new every day I guess.