Know of any 360 emulators?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Know of any 360 emulators?

#16 Post by TheDragonfiend »

The main problem is the hardware emulation... To put it into perspective its like using vmware to run games your limited by the software instead of te hardware because well... You KNOW the hardware can handle it... There is also the fact the xbox doesnt use an x86 or x64 processor so technically speaking our hardware is Literally incompatible with the xboxs code im not talking "this square is too small for this square hole" but something more like "I keep trying to jam this square into this circular hole but it wont fit"

And by the time we figure it out we will have much better consoles (look at the snes emulators 20+ years and they still have lag)
ImageImageImage

Tygron
Notakitty!

#17 Post by Tygron »

But if you were to dedicate a CPU to the emulator, as long as the CPU is of the same performance or better than the 360's the threading would work right wouldn't it? I've heard the 360's CPU is a 3 core processor, so dedicating a quad core to an emulator sounds like it should work.

Then I do realize that, being an emulator, it won't run the exact same way the xbox does especially since it has to run in an operating system and not standalone having it's own parts and resources. Honestly, it makes me wonder if one were to find a way to install the Xbox OS as an OS on your computer (by way of dual booting or ghetto rigging a switch for a hard drive (well two probably since the Xbox has it's OS onboard and stores your games and such on the hard drive) to turn off or standby your computer's OS) But then you would have to insert disc's to play them much as you would an actual xbox. But i'm sure it would be a lot of work, and most people using it probably wouldn't want to go through all that trouble to play Xbox games through their PC. Honestly for me I got a monitor with HDMI input (headphone out that I plug into my audio interface) and just use my xbox at my computer desk.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by TheDragonfiend »

Tygron wrote:But if you were to dedicate a CPU to the emulator, as long as the CPU is of the same performance or better than the 360's the threading would work right wouldn't it? I've heard the 360's CPU is a 3 core processor, so dedicating a quad core to an emulator sounds like it should work.

Then I do realize that, being an emulator, it won't run the exact same way the xbox does especially since it has to run in an operating system and not standalone having it's own parts and resources. Honestly, it makes me wonder if one were to find a way to install the Xbox OS as an OS on your computer (by way of dual booting or ghetto rigging a switch for a hard drive (well two probably since the Xbox has it's OS onboard and stores your games and such on the hard drive) to turn off or standby your computer's OS) But then you would have to insert disc's to play them much as you would an actual xbox. But i'm sure it would be a lot of work, and most people using it probably wouldn't want to go through all that trouble to play Xbox games through their PC. Honestly for me I got a monitor with HDMI input (headphone out that I plug into my audio interface) and just use my xbox at my computer desk.
As i stated in my post above it doesnt really work that wat

An xbox processor has a different "architecture" to a pc

Eg windows 64bit wont work on an x86 cpu due to an architecture in compatibility but 32bit (x86) windows WILL run on a 64bit (x64) processor because its backwards compatible

This is because of the way x86 and x64 handle memory... Unfortunately with the xbox 360 the processor handles everything differently so the ONLY hardware level solution is to rip out the xbox processor and make a custom moterboard which is really 2 motherboards the xbox one and the pc one (the motherboard is custom on an xbox aswell not just the cpu) and put a switch in it and swap between the two... But in that regard its easier (and cheaper too) to just buy the BIG O from origin (they ripped out the internals of an xbox 360 slim and put it inside the pc case alongside the pc)
ImageImageImage

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#19 Post by SirSlaughter »

Dragonfiend is right on. The architecture is completely different. If you were to rip out the internals of an xbox not a single piece would work for anything other than the xbox. Same goes with the software and OS. It's purposely made so you can't do it. So that's why an Emulator is so intense and difficult.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#20 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Well, you're either going to be emulating high or low level. A high-level emulator is what may work for the original Xbox, and takes oh, 30% more power than the native core. Low-level emulation(that is, emulating each instruction, each bit of hardware) takes a /lot/ more, and well, that's what will happen with the xbox 360, most likely... And I'm honestly not seeing the improvements needed to produce that sort of performance any time soon; we'll probably have to go to graphene-based CPUs before that'll happen... and that's many years away.

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#21 Post by TheDragonfiend »

RobbieThe1st wrote:Well, you're either going to be emulating high or low level. A high-level emulator is what may work for the original Xbox, and takes oh, 30% more power than the native core. Low-level emulation(that is, emulating each instruction, each bit of hardware) takes a /lot/ more, and well, that's what will happen with the xbox 360, most likely... And I'm honestly not seeing the improvements needed to produce that sort of performance any time soon; we'll probably have to go to graphene-based CPUs before that'll happen... and that's many years away.
Quantem computing will fix everything XD

But yeah i cant wait till the phantom can actually become a reality (basically when console designers pull their head out of their arses and realise there is more money in making there hardware cross compatible so EVERYONE will buy it instead of making it this peice of hardware which only works with this hardware so the coders are forced to write more then one copy of the game for multiplatform)
ImageImageImage

ZNickel
Apprentice

#22 Post by ZNickel »

Personally I think that in a few years, if things don't change with consoles, we may see the death of console gaming. All my friends used to be console gamers, now we are all PC gamers.
“The solid organic waste is about to collide with the rotational air circulation device.”

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#23 Post by TheDragonfiend »

ZNickel wrote:Personally I think that in a few years, if things don't change with consoles, we may see the death of console gaming. All my friends used to be console gamers, now we are all PC gamers.
Gah... I went pc, console, pc, Game whore (i play everything decently XD)
ImageImageImage

crimsonreaper
Citizen

#24 Post by crimsonreaper »

In all honesty it is not the games themselves that is the issue, its all of Microsoft's copyright stuff (at least i am pretty sure they own xbox anyway..) as xbox games are actually less demanding then pc games are (for the most part) at this point, and if your pc can play skyrim its capabilities should be enough to play most xbox games, however the real issue is creating a shell that simulates the xbox processes in other words making the emulator WORK. There is also the added difficulty of ripping the cd's properly so considering all of that I'm not sure if there will be any reliable xbox emulators/roms for some time.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#25 Post by SirSlaughter »

crimsonreaper wrote:In all honesty it is not the games themselves that is the issue, its all of Microsoft's copyright stuff (at least i am pretty sure they own xbox anyway..) as xbox games are actually less demanding then pc games are (for the most part) at this point, and if your pc can play skyrim its capabilities should be enough to play most xbox games, however the real issue is creating a shell that simulates the xbox processes in other words making the emulator WORK. There is also the added difficulty of ripping the cd's properly so considering all of that I'm not sure if there will be any reliable xbox emulators/roms for some time.
Crimson did you not read all of the post made before hand? It's not anything to do with copyright, it has to do with the coding and translating it. There are parallels and a completely different architecture to it. And then there is the multi-threaded processors you have to deal with. Then it gets crazy. And you also have to have the timing just right with the software coding (From what I have heard, Could be wrong on that last one). So there is just too much stuff in the way to get one going properly. But it has nothing to do with copyright...

crimsonreaper
Citizen

#26 Post by crimsonreaper »

more or less i was stating that the copyright would also be an issue but i guess i did not word it correctly to get that across, and for that you have my apologies. However in my opinion they often build consoles in such a way that it is hard to copy the processes of that machine, which in my opinion is another form of copyrighting but is more closely related to hardware protection specifically.