Windows not genuine?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Tygron
Notakitty!

Windows not genuine?

#1 Post by Tygron »

So i've had this laptop for a few years now, not really had a problem with it except it getting slow. That was fixable by cleaning out the heatsink and fan. But yesterday I was at Snow's and turned on my laptop. I turned on the built in overclocker (Asus laptop and has some settings for some overclocking in a menu) and tried to continue what I was doing. Except everything locked up. Completely froze. So I hardbooted the thing and I tried getting on the internet. And as i'm trying to get connection issues resolved, thinking his router might be having problems, I get a message saying Windows is not genuine. So now I tried turning it on again, to see if it fixed itself and it says it's not genuine. And it wants me to type in my product key. I'm a little hesitant though because I feel it could be a virus and it's after windows 7 activation keys. I'm running Windows 7 64bit, and it was upgraded from Vista 64bit. But there have been no other changes to the computer like that. No real software changes, or nothing game changing really, and no hardware changes at all. So, what's up with this?
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

crimsonreaper
Citizen

Re: Windows not genuine?

#2 Post by crimsonreaper »

If you haven't resolved this issue yet i would say that windows is probably just being stupid as usual as stealing USED windows keys is pointless, i highly doubt that anyone would bother trying to steal a key especially in that way as they could just hack your laptop and get it from the win files (windows files), they are not hard to find providing you know the file location (hidden folders) but viruses can cause windows to declare itself to be invalid. Such viruses include certain branches of the win 32 virus, for that i recommend that you download the free trial of avast anti-virus and get superantispyware (that's got a free version), and then enter your product key for windows again after you have cleared your pc.

Tygron
Notakitty!

Re: Windows not genuine?

#3 Post by Tygron »

I contacted Microsofts Support about it since my desktop had done it too. Turns out I just had to type my key in on both of them. But it didn't fix the internet problem on my laptop. That's because of the Diagnostic Policy Service not running and it's a whole 'nother issue.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P