Windows taking forever to boot desktop?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Tygron
Notakitty!

Windows taking forever to boot desktop?

#1 Post by Tygron »

Ok. There's really no good way to explain this, but i'll try.

Basically I turned on my computer, everything looked normal. Nothing has changed. Until it logs me in, and all I see is my mouse and a black screen. Now I can still do things, I managed to open firefox through the task manager. So i'm trying to find a cause for this problem because I turned off the computer and back on again before realizing I could do anything. Then the taskbar appears and I check to see if my desktop is there, which it now is.

I've never had this problem before, and none of my hardware or software has changed in over a week. I recently put a new motherboard and CPU in here, along with DDR3 RAM. And before then I put in a graphics card and PSU. But i've not encountered this problem. I've also noticed stuttering of my audio since installing the new motherboard.

Any answer to why this is happening?

EDIT: well I opened my case to re-sit the heatsink. Seems to work fine now.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

cliffpanther
Grand Templar
Location: In the central point of the Universe. Just like everyone else.

Re: Windows taking forever to boot desktop?

#2 Post by cliffpanther »

There is a very nice program called SpeedFan - it lets you monitor the temperature of your components in real time. And even control the speed of fans. Just don't play with the settings, it can get a bit dangerous. Also, you might want to run a RAM test if the problem comes back.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#3 Post by Tygron »

I've used that before on my laptop. Not that I can do much on my laptop except keep the heatsink clean though. Didn't get the chance to get that far for this though, it probably wasn't the heatsink but you never know I guess. The Intel stock cooler is semi hard to get on properly it seems. But i'm going to be getting a case that'll have plenty of room for me to mount my nice Cooler Master one.
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by SirSlaughter »

In case you want to get a little more speed on your start up I can recommend going with the windows ready boost program that is already on your computer. Just pop in a USB stick or Flashcard (4GB 30MB a sec) You can get a little more speed out of it. (correct me if I am wrong).

cliffpanther
Grand Templar

#5 Post by cliffpanther »

SirSlaughter wrote:In case you want to get a little more speed on your start up I can recommend going with the windows ready boost program that is already on your computer. Just pop in a USB stick or Flashcard (4GB 30MB a sec) You can get a little more speed out of it. (correct me if I am wrong).
Not gonna help here, I'm afraid. 30MB/s isn't an awesome score (DDR3 RAM can achieve thousands MB/s).
Plus, the problem here is probably reading and processing the desktop.
Did you clean the heat sink and put a new layer of heat paste? It might help a bit lot
If that doesn't work, you can try downloading a bootable version of a system (ex. Ubuntu Live version - download the image here).
If it boots normally without the desktop lag and works efficiently - you might want to think about repairing your Windows.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#6 Post by Lief »

No one suggested defragging the HDD? Or Error-checking? Jeez.

cliffpanther
Grand Templar

#7 Post by cliffpanther »

Lief wrote:No one suggested defragging the HDD? Or Error-checking? Jeez.
*facepaw* I did - but in other thread. :oops:

Tygron
Notakitty!

#8 Post by Tygron »

I cleaned off the CPU and heatsink and applied a new layer of paste, yes.

I'm not having any problems now, my laptop might be but I haven't tried it since I rage quit on it.

Though defragging the hard drive wouldn't be bad I suppose as i'm more than certain it has never been done on this system. I run CCleaner frequently enough, just keep forgetting to defrag.
I know about Windows ready boost, but I also heard that eats flash drives like Kirby is an endless void of a pink puffball. Plus I have DDR3 ram in here, but it's only running on 1333 speed not 1866 like it can run. But that's because I bought a cheap motherboard that only supported 1333 speed max, that and while I have 8 GB ram... I have 32 bit Vista on here and i'm waiting to get Windows 7 64bit on here to allow me to use all 8 GB of that ram. I also plan on eventually upgrading the motherboard to something better later on. I just needed a CPU upgrade, and that meant a new mobo. Also got an NVidia GTX 550 Ti in here, and a wireless card.

So while I have been switching parts out, it had been days since doing this. So maybe resetting the heatsink did nothing, I won't know. I'm only using the stock cooler until I can fit my new one in a case. Want the CM Storm Trooper so bad.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Wipe it and reinstall with Windows 7. Simple.