I made a big stupid! HELP

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

I made a big stupid! HELP

#1 Post by SirSlaughter »

Ok guys, I did something crazy. Some of you know that you can patch your system32 to allow custom themes for win7 and such. Well I did that. It worked great to. I had no problems and everything was good. Well the recent windows update screwed me over bad. First my sound drivers were jacked so I tried to restore to before the update so I could find something to work before I updated aain. Well I couldn't. Which then lead to some more bad things. So I thought I knew what was happening, So I unpatched my files in every way I knew. I used the same programs that patched my system to Un-patch. That worked...or so I thought, It turns out After I did a ful system restore to factory settings I tarted it up and got it all underway, But only to find out that my copy of Win7 magically turned into an invalid copy. Meaning it was a not useable copy. I don't know how the [censored] it happened, But I am in a bind. I went to running on a caviar black 1TB, to a Hitachi 5200RPM 1TB, and now to a seagate 250 2.5 sata Drive. The Sata drive is the only one that has a god workable copy of windows in it, But it is still patched. Now I am thinking that i may need to un-patch my files in the same sequence as when I patched it in the first place in order to get t to work. Now I would be fine to do all this but my problem now is that I have a coning program that allows me to completely lone all files from OS to Drives and such. But it requires that I use the 2.5 sata enclosure on one of the HDDs to do it. So I do not have another large enough 2.5 Sata drive that i can use. I have a western digital blue 500gb but that Has All of my backup data that I do not want to or cannot lose.

Now I imagine that I could just load all the files into a folder on this computer and then do the cloning so as to still have the files, But I kinda don't want to risk it. If that's what I have to do I will do it.
But I was wondering if anyone here knew anything I could try. I have done all sorts of madness. I uninstalled everything last time and Did the restore using the recovery program Lenovo provided. That's where it got bad. I even tried to use the CD drive to boot the WIN7 drivers and such into the restored HDD so I could at least try to connect to the internet and get updates to get my system back, No dice. I can't even hit "computer" so I can load the CD drive from there. If worst comes to worst then darn, I don't plan on keeping this stuff from the old computer except maybe the Motherboard, Processor, HDD ect. I would just like to have a nice clean reinstall of my computer without needing to buy another OS when this thing already came with it. My fear is that the partition is [censored]. I can't get anything going right. So any help would be appreciated. For now I will see if I can save my backup data to a different data source so I can begin the cloning procedure.

cliffpanther
Grand Templar
Location: In the central point of the Universe. Just like everyone else.

Re: I made a big stupid! HELP

#2 Post by cliffpanther »

Have you tried downloading something like a bootable WinXP? I've got a rescue DVD like that, it's a complete system (without useless stuff) .Then you could try downloading and manually replacing the drivers and get your system to work.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Go get a USB->Sata free-standing adaptor. $20 at your local shop, $6-10 off ebay. $3 from china, but it takes two weeks.

Once you have that, you can simply plug in /any/ drive externally, and that solves that.
Alternately, you can use a Ubuntu LiveCD, boot off that CD, and follow a tutorial to image the disk partition onto the new drive, then resize the partition to use all available space

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by SirSlaughter »

Thanks guys, But I managed to get my computer back in prime condition by using the Cloning software and equipment I already had on hand. So my computer is back in action for the time being. I just need to see about setting up my other 1tb drive as a new or RAW drive. During the cloning process I somehow managed to get 2 local disk files on the same drive...I think that may have been my fault. I kinda had 2 drives with the exact same data connected at the exact same time I was doing my system restore...so yeah oops. But no matter, I can game with no problems and my sound drivers are all good to go again. I will save messing with the other drive when I get my other parts in the future.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Just format the drive you want. If you right-click on My Computer -> Manage, it'll bring up a tool. On the left, there's an item named "disk manager". Click that, and you'll be provided with a list of disks attached. You can select the one you want, rightclick on each partition and delete it. Once all are deleted, you have effectively a "raw" disk.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by SirSlaughter »

Oh, Well thank you then. I was scared I was gonna have to run a computer with 2 Local disks forever. I'll be getting on that right away.