Computer slowdown and internet slowdown problems

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Tygron
Notakitty!

Computer slowdown and internet slowdown problems

#1 Post by Tygron »

So the other day I got a wireless card for my desktop so I could use the 50 foot ethernet cable I have for my xbox. Now I realize there will be some slowdown and connection problems due to it being wireless vs a wired connection. But ever since i've put the card in, i've noticed my CPU usage hovering around 60% or more and surfing the internet is impossible once I decide to go to youtube or facebook. I've reinstalled the drivers, cleaned the case more, made sure the card was sitting well (which there's no way it can't with it being a PCI-E slot), and i'm still noticing the problems. I've got the CPU to sit at normal levels now I think, but the internet still refuses to allow me to watch youtube the way I used to or use facebook aside from scrolling on the main page before loading more posts. My laptop (that I used to use more until I got the desktop) has always been using its internal wifi chip to surf the internet and for me it was just slightly slower than using my desktop on the direct line to the router. My 3DS gets good connection and so does my Zune, and i've sat in this same spot for every one of them. I'm getting frustrated.
This is the wifi card in question: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833320074
and as for the computer it's an Acer Aspire M5100 but i've upgraded the ram to 4 GB and the only other upgrade is the wireless adapter. Other than that it should be standard. I tried looking for it on their site, but couldn't find it.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Computer slowdown and internet slowdown problems

#2 Post by SirSlaughter »

seeing as it is a lot of cpu usage, I would try defrag, registry cleanup, and some other programs like advanced system care. But seeing as it only does it with your card, You say you reinstalled the drivers but did you see if it set you up with the latest drivers? also have you seen if anyone else has had the same problem. What about your router? I know some routers can be crap (I used to have a netgear...the horror). But when I upgraded My internet speed was much better, Granted it does suck at times but way way way better than my last one. now have you also checked to see if anyone else is on your network. Sometimes having multiple devices using wireless can make yours slower as well.

Tygron
Notakitty!

Re: Computer slowdown and internet slowdown problems

#3 Post by Tygron »

I used to have a Linksys router but it gave me loads of problems, got a Netgear (and I despise netgear) one and it seems to be running much better. But I plan on upgrading to a better one sometime in the future.

I actually read the reviews on the newegg site and some said that it does run really slow. I tried updating the drivers but every time I did it told me I had the latest when, clearly, the version says 1.0.0.5 or some such on the driver I have and the new one says 1.0.0.7

I've got a return thingy now and i'm going to send it back for a Rosewell (I think that's the company) one that has the best reviews on the site.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P