Question about IE8

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Question about IE8

#16 Post by RedDwarfIV »

bigro wrote:
RedDwarfIV wrote:
Thanks - resetting it sounds good.

I can understand that. But hey, IE came first.
nope. IE was not first.

Opera...lynx...arena...mosaic...all before it.

has Microsoft ever been first? (legit question, I have no clue)
All of which have to be downloaded onto the computer, after Windows has had IE put on it at the manufacturing plant.

Not the sort of first you were thinking of, but hey.

So everyone knows, I've come to the conclusion that my laptop is the problem. I can't install Chrome or Firefox, and not for lack of trying. Its just ignoring adminstrator permissions and saying 'nope' at every browser I try throwing at it. IE9 was the only one I could put on it, and I've been unable to deinstall it so I can go back to IE8.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#17 Post by judah4 »

How old is the laptop, what does it run (xp, vista, 7, etc), and what are the specs?

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#18 Post by RedDwarfIV »

2 years old, Toshiba Satellite L300, Vista Home Premium, Celeron(R) Dual Core T3000 1.80 GHz32 bit processor, 3 Gigs RAM, 3.5 WEI rating.
ImageImageImage

philip284
Apprentice

#19 Post by philip284 »

Those specs are fine for running chrome/firefox. Must be software. From what you make it sound, you are not an admin or signed in as one? Can you install/remove other programs?
If a tree falls in the woods, but no one is around to hear it, does it still kill the squirrel it landed on?
ImageImage

etam
Apprentice

#20 Post by etam »

RedDwarfIV wrote:So everyone knows, I've come to the conclusion that my laptop is the problem. I can't install Chrome or Firefox, and not for lack of trying. Its just ignoring adminstrator permissions and saying 'nope' at every browser I try throwing at it. IE9 was the only one I could put on it, and I've been unable to deinstall it so I can go back to IE8.
You can use firefox, chrome, or opera from portableapps.com and install them for example in "My Documents". No admin rights needed.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#21 Post by avwolf »

If you're having trouble installing software the way you're describing, I'd be concerned that your system was compromised. Malware occasionally can cause problems like those and at least some of your Internet Explorer issues.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#22 Post by RedDwarfIV »

avwolf wrote:If you're having trouble installing software the way you're describing, I'd be concerned that your system was compromised. Malware occasionally can cause problems like those and at least some of your Internet Explorer issues.
That is concerning. I have two anti-virus programs.
ImageImageImage

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#23 Post by avwolf »

RedDwarfIV wrote:
avwolf wrote:If you're having trouble installing software the way you're describing, I'd be concerned that your system was compromised. Malware occasionally can cause problems like those and at least some of your Internet Explorer issues.
Boot to safe mode (if Vista has such a thing) and run a full system scan. Quick scans and the live scanners don't always catch everything.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#24 Post by RedDwarfIV »

avwolf wrote:
RedDwarfIV wrote:
Boot to safe mode (if Vista has such a thing) and run a full system scan. Quick scans and the live scanners don't always catch everything.
Avira full scans every day. OneProtect or Microsoft Antivirus or MS Essentials or whatever it calls itself now full scans every week.
ImageImageImage

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by RobbieThe1st »

To be honest, I'd consider the thing corrupted, make a backup of all your files(use Magic JellyBean Keyfinder to find your product keys if needed), and reinstall. It's something that won't hurt, and will definitely speed things up - Most Windows installs could use a reinstall every couple of years anyways*.

*Note:
From personal experience I've found it's not the /windows/ part that causes slowdowns and stuff; it's the other programs.Uninstalled programs leaving bits behind, trial software with hooks in the registry, programs that autostart... all make things slower. I found that using 'open source' utilities instead of plain 'freeware'(and trials) extends the life of a Windows install by several years.