Mic Problems

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Mic Problems

#1 Post by FurryForlife »

I've recently started to try and make videos, and my only problem seems to be getting my mic to pick up my voice properly.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razeru ... .169415800

^ That's my headset. It isn't one of those cheepies, so I'm having trouble figuring out why my voice isn't picking up. At best I sound like my voice is several feet away from the mic, not 2 inches. At worst I sound like I'm behind a pane of glass.

I've scoured my computer trying to find something that would improve my mics capture... but I can't find anything. Can anyone please help me

Edit: Ok, it sounded worse to me the first time I listened to it, but it still isn't where I'd like it to be. Here is the testing... Yes, I know the quality is [censored].

http://youtu.be/hqNQArTpKJM
Story: To be Inspired.
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

Akira110
Literary Artist

Re: Mic Problems

#2 Post by Akira110 »

I haven't used any expensive headset microphones, but your soundcard might have a microphone volume option and that might be set low, which might be your problem... if its a USB microphone, then I don't really know what the problem could be.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#3 Post by Lief »

Going with what Akira said, perhaps turning Mic boost on would help. Depending on the sound card, you can have adjustable mic boost. (For instance, I can set mine at 10, 20, or 30 dB boost) That'd help for sure, but like Akira said, if it's USB, I have no clue. Never used a USB headset before, never will. (Too many issues for my tastes.)

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire

#4 Post by FurryForlife »

My sound card is: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
My mic isn't a usb.

AHA! I looked for a mic booster and found it. Thank you it works now. I'll link the product shortly

Edit: http://youtu.be/PI7rqE4Eiwk

Now that that is in order... I need to get a better webcam..
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#5 Post by Lief »

You're quite welcome

Akira110
Literary Artist

#6 Post by Akira110 »

You're quite welcome, I ran into that problem when I last had a headset microphone that wasn't a USB headset.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Creative sound cards are pretty good with microphone input, so long as you have the volume good - Even a $0.99 mic will sound and work well.
I think there's some audio-processing bits in there to clean it up...

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire

#8 Post by FurryForlife »

Just so I don't bother making another thread... Can someone suggest me a decent web cam, that isn't ridiculously expensive

Akira110
Literary Artist

#9 Post by Akira110 »

FurryForlife wrote:Just so I don't bother making another thread... Can someone suggest me a decent web cam, that isn't ridiculously expensive
The Microsoft LifeCam I got was 19.99 USD, its a decent webcam, comes with a built in microphone too.