Problems Running Starcraft

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Akira110
Literary Artist

Problems Running Starcraft

#1 Post by Akira110 »

I got a new copy of Starcraft from Gamestop for my birthday and I've been trying to run it, but I've run into a problem with the game freezing at random. Now I've gone to the internet and found out that its a problem with Windows 7. Can anyone help me fix this freezing issue?
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Problems Running Starcraft

#2 Post by SirSlaughter »

Did you make sure to download all teh latest drivers for your computer using the windows update tool?
Also is your comp overheating or getting extremely hot at any point?

That's a usual problem for games. I could be wrong of course but I would start there.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#3 Post by Akira110 »

SirSlaughter wrote:Did you make sure to download all teh latest drivers for your computer using the windows update tool?
Also is your comp overheating or getting extremely hot at any point?

That's a usual problem for games. I could be wrong of course but I would start there.
Question 1: I didn't know that I could do that
Question 2: No, its in a well ventilated area and I clean any dust out every three days.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by SirSlaughter »

Did you check to make sure that your graphics card can handle the game? Um, What is your setup?

Graphics card
RAM
Processor

Or you can give me a link to your exact model. It may be that your computer just can't handle the game (though I doubt that seeing as this game is so easy to run surprisingly). But it could be a possibility.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#5 Post by Akira110 »

I forgot to mention that this is a problems with Windows Aero, which comes with all copies of Windows 7. My old XP which was worse overall could easily run Starcraft, and it runs perfectly on my father's Laptop which has Vista, but my brother and I, who both use Windows 7 had it lock up on us. However I've seem to have found a good fix for now, I've currently been playing for a few hours and it hasn't froze on me yet.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by SirSlaughter »

Ah ok, Windows Aero...Hm. I have windows 7 and I can run that sucker all day if I wanted. Well if your problem still persists I will be happy to do some research and help you some more.

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by TheDragonfiend »

I believe he is talking about sc1 you no the 1998 one which was designed to run on most hardware from that time period yeah most of your replies sound like there about sc2 slaughter just saying!!!
ImageImageImage

Akira110
Literary Artist

#8 Post by Akira110 »

I'm actually talking about the Starcraft Anthology(Also known as the Battle Chest) version of Starcraft, which was updated to work on Windows XP and Windows Vista, however it has issues with Windows 7's Aero themes.

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by TheDragonfiend »

Lol thats just another version of original sc a.k.a a patch i also have battlechest!!!
ImageImageImage

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by avwolf »

So I imagine you configured the compatibility settings for the game to run without Aero?

Akira110
Literary Artist

#11 Post by Akira110 »

I'm not sure how you make it run without windows Aero, is it the disable visual themes option?

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#12 Post by avwolf »

Akira110 wrote:I'm not sure how you make it run without windows Aero, is it the disable visual themes option?
I...think so. Forgive me, I'm not on one of my Win7 boxen right now. I'll try to remember to check when I get home from work.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#13 Post by Akira110 »

Okay... for some reason I've had error free games, right up until I put Java onto this computer... I think something in Windows 7 hates both Java and Starcraft being on at the same time.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by avwolf »

Looks like fully disabling Aero is a whole-Windows level solution, that's under Display->Personalize.

I might try using the "Disable Desktop Composition" and "Disable Visual Themes" options under the program's Properties->Compatibility Tab first though. Those two settings should remove most of Aero's functionality for the running program and might get you by without changing the look and feel of the entire OS.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#15 Post by Akira110 »

I did that yesterday and it hasn't froze on me yet.