Computer connected to the internet but...isn't?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Bart95
Templar Master

Computer connected to the internet but...isn't?

#1 Post by Bart95 »

So on my computer it SAYS it's connected to the internet ('lil globe in the lower right) but it can't actually connect to anything via my browser or any online games and services. (Such as MSN or Steam).

Am typing this from my laptop, what's interesting is that my laptop can connect but my computer can't. I didn't change any settings, was just playing some games online as normal and suddenly I can't connect to anything on my computer. Even though it SAYS it is connected to the internet.

SO what gives? Why has my computer suddenly decided to connect to the internet but not send/recieve any data yet my laptop which is connecting via the same network can?

UPDATE: Some websites are working, but still can't connect to most websites such as hotmail, MSN or even Battle net.
As a side note, MSN does a troubleshoot thing and says it can't find the service/gets stuck at key ports.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Computer connected to the internet but...isn't?

#2 Post by avwolf »

What's it tell you when you try to ping hotmail.com or battle.net?

What the ping responds with will guide the rest of this process, but without knowing that, the first place I'd check is DNS. Make sure that your desktop has a reasonable DNS server setup. You can try specifying one (Google's public DNS server is 8.8.8.8). There's a lot of weird possibilities: borked HOSTS file, DNS server went down and laptop uses a different one, or the router started having hardware or software problems, just to name a few, but I'd probably start at DNS because it's easy to check.